Old October 4, 2001, 12:01   #61
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1
I have the Civ 2 MPGE manual. It is very complete, in my opinion, and I'd expect the same or better(color pages) for Civ 3. If a manual that shipped with the game lacked a good portion of info that was later put into a strategy manual, then I'd feel ripped off by the publisher; I'm sure this will not be the case with Civ 3.
Unless MPGE is published by Infogrames, the past means nothing. And I don't think MPGE was a new enough game to warrant its own strat guide separately from the original Civ2.

I'm pretty confident that they will put out a good manual as well, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. Either way, there will still probably be some facts/stats that won't be included in the manual in order to increase the sales of the strat guide.
Old October 4, 2001, 20:11   #62
Nemo
Prince

with a 235 page manual...there is NO need for a strategy guide..whatsoever (plus see early post in this thread for the other reason).

besides all primus "strategy" guides i ever recieved were all crap anyway.
Old October 4, 2001, 20:16   #63
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
Prima does NOT do a good job on their guides. They are always lacking in raw statistical information like unit stats and abilities, etc., and they usually don't have any good/useful charts and stuff.

If I had the money, I would start up my own strat guide company, and do some REAL guiding.

Please, boycott Prima and their base products.
Old October 4, 2001, 20:32   #64
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Prima does NOT do a good job on their guides.

Please, boycott Prima and their base products.
I am game for a boycott...i'll put them right next to activision...oh, wait those are the only two PC gaming related companies that are on that list!

p.s. i meant prima not primus ...i always do that
Old October 4, 2001, 21:06   #65
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
Christmas is three months away!

"O Come O Come CivIII's Manual! And take away our doubts on how to play...

O come within the box as we pay...
So we may enjoy CivIII everyday!"

[to be sung to popular christmas tune]
Old October 4, 2001, 21:26   #66
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
The only strategy guides worth the money were the two done by Alan Emerich for Civilization (original) and Master of Orion (original).

Everything else was simply an attempt at a publisher (in league with some game publishing and/or development companies) to squeeze more money from the customer.

Oh, and regarding the comment that since the manual is 200+ pages we'll know everything, as if! Let's see, 20 or so pages for credits, index and TOC, 100 pages with nice pictures and game play basics, 100 more pages detailing the history of each Civ and a tiny bit of info on their special unit and the rest of the manual detailing a few very broad concepts on how to play.
Old October 4, 2001, 22:23   #67
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Listen bud. Count your lucky stars you got a manual with Civ2! My Dad got the game free with his comp and I never saw the pdf until a couple weeks ago when I was going through the avis.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old October 5, 2001, 00:41   #68
Mister Pleasant

Hmmm, a 235-240 page manual according to Dan? I'll bet this is what Dan refered to. Note that it is 240pp.

Guess if you treekillers want your big beefy manual you either have to buy the LE or pony up an additional $13.99. Better preorder now . . .

I'm so sure, I tell you what. If the regular edition comes with a paper manual of 235 or more pages, I'll buy Locutus his own copy of the game (since he refuses to buy it w/o scripting language). Anybody have enough faith in Firaxis to wager a free copy of the game for Locutus if I'm right? Come on! Put your money where your mouth is!

Old October 5, 2001, 02:12   #69
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Im glad i get my big beefy manual! And i dont care one way or the other if the RE has the manual, because i bought the LE

And Mister Pleasant, give up the treekiller thing. Its annoying. This might come as a surprise to you , but Trees can be replaced. Yes, thats right, by putting seeds into the ground, you can grow another tree, or grow several by planting several seeds.
If you really want to help the environment, stop using petrol, and refuse to take any transport device that consumes petrol. Dont even mow your lawn with a petrol mower. Indeed, dont use any product that is made from crude oil. Unlike trees, oil cannot be replaced as fast as we use it.
Old October 5, 2001, 02:45   #70
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Im glad i get my big beefy manual! And i dont care one way or the other if the RE has the manual, because i bought the LE
hehe...me too!

and i bought a plant for my house yesterday...just to make up for the lack of O2 that will be released from my manual's trees, which no longer exist
Old October 5, 2001, 03:11   #71
Mister Pleasant

Quote:
And Mister Pleasant, give up the treekiller thing. Its annoying.
Odd, I find the near orgasmic joy some people express in the possibility of getting a giant manual with a video game annoying and yet strangely amusing at the same time. And they keep promising a paperless society . . .

And I take mass transit when available, and use a bike or walk when feasible. I would prefer alternate sources of energy to petroleum based products and bullet trains to personal automobiles. Had the government not subsidized suburban development and roadways and ignored the urban centers (but I feel I'm about to go off topic . . .)

Hmmm, so what about my "Locutus Challenge"? Will you, Skanky Burns, demonstrate your faith in Firaxis by putting up the funds? Is your faith in Firaxis strong enough to buy Locutus Civ3 if I'm right about the manual in the standard edition? How 'bout you Nemo?

Old October 5, 2001, 04:13   #72
Staszek
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant

And I take mass transit when available, and use a bike or walk when feasible. I would prefer alternate sources of energy to petroleum based products and bullet trains to personal automobiles. Had the government not subsidized suburban development and roadways and ignored the urban centers (but I feel I'm about to go off topic . . .)
BTW if we are all so ecology - correct: maybe we should suggest hamburger or coca-cola as one of modern-era Small Wonders? And big fatty McDonnalds as Great Wonder? Just to be a little sarcastic.

In the end of the day we all agree that Americans deserve their place in Top 10 Civs of the world (at least Firaxis does ). Why not to mention the essence of American culture in our beloved strategy?

But its out of topic... who cares about rain forest bla bla...

WE WANT A BIG MANUAL....

You better explore the game by yoourself. Who cares about strategy guides?