Old September 21, 1999, 11:00   #1
valmont
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationMac
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Macintosh graphics problem
I am running MGE for Mac without the patch. I am using GraphicConverter to make graphics for a scenario. I haven't tried anything fancy yet. I simply changed the colors of everyone's flags. I changed England to be red [and changed the barbarian flag to brown], and I changed the Scots [formerly Sioux] from lavender to a slightly deeper shade. I used only colors that were available from the color table, and I was careful not to make any changes in the settings.

I got strange, strange results. The English capitol looked fine, with red flag and red title text; the english units had red shields. Although I made no change whatever to the yellow flag, the Spanish capital appeared with the same red text color as the English one did, but their units had white shields. The French capitol had the correct blue flag but green text.

Even stranger, all the city icons appeared with a black and white diamond background, though I did nothing to the city icons at all.

It sounds like the color table somehow got messed up, but I can't figure out how it could have happened. Any ideas?
Old September 21, 1999, 13:24   #2
Wulf
Chieftain

Your question should be in the Mac FAQ, if there was one.

The short answer is:
1) Yes, the color table gets messed up, even if you just open and save and even if you do NO EDITING AT ALL (incredulous scream). MacSoft should be ashamed.
2) To edit any of the PICT files related to game mechanics, download a PC scenario from the net which has the GIF file for the file you wish to edit. Edit that. Then Convert it with graphic converter. Edit only the gif file, never the converted file. So if you create a scenario, you need to keep a double set of graphics file.

Dear moderator. If this topic is moved to the Mac forum, there'll be no complaints from me.
Old September 21, 1999, 17:37   #3
valmont
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationMac
Warlord

Wulf, thanks for the help! I'll try it tonight.
Old September 26, 1999, 08:58   #4
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 18:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How bizarre! What happens if you use Clip2gif suggested by Amandeep Jawa? Speaking of which is Amandeep still around? Did he or she ever update the PC to Mac conversion instructions relative to the MPG edition? Or is this way Off Topic? I could ask in a different thread if it is.

One more thing, Valmont why aren't you using the patch? Would the patch fix this problem?

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

[This message has been edited by MacUser (edited September 26, 1999).]