Old October 2, 2001, 19:46   #1
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
All you Hivers out there...
Ok, a thought has struck me...

After reading many messages and postings it has come to my attention that mostly everyone thinks that the Human Hive is all Chinese. I started thinking that this could not be the case because when Chairman Yang commandeered one of the Unity Pods, the chances of it being populated by only Chinese is rather unfair.

Well, my thought is why do most people think that they are all Chinese. I think that the Human Hive is populated by all types of people and it kind of bugs people that most people assume they are all Chinese....

What do you all think?
Old October 2, 2001, 20:08   #2
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 09:05
I was never aware that most people thought everyone from "The Hive" was Chinese. In fact, I hadn't put much thought into it. Clearly the good chairman was intended to resemble someone of asian descent and his philosophy seems to embody a strict form communism, which I associate with China. I was always under the impression that the factions seperated based on ideological differences, so presumable there are Chinese and non-Chinese members.

Old October 2, 2001, 22:16   #3
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I got the impression that the factions are made up of different ethinic groups. Do you think all the PKs are from India or the Gaians are Scottish?

I do believe that the people in the out takes are all Oriental names. I would have to look again to see for sure.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 2, 2001, 22:47   #4
vitamin j
Prince

Well, I for one definitely assumed Chairman Yang was Chinese!
Now, as for his miserable subjects, I never really gave it a thought, as I'm usually busy liberating them! (Or trying to keep him from crushing me, as the case may be!)
Old October 2, 2001, 23:49   #5
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Local Time: 14:05
Maybe the Chairman is picky about who he likes to 'hang with'?
Old October 3, 2001, 01:17   #6
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 15:05
The intro for the original game clearly says that the factions are divided not by nationality (or as I see it -also ethinical differences) but by ideologies so The Hive are a bounch of earthlings with the social agendas and not people with Chinese nationality or ethical background. Besides - what do you think the cult are when it comes to ethinical background, also chinese?

-knowhow2
Old October 3, 2001, 09:44   #7
NorthSwordsman
Prince

WhiteElephants and Knowhow2 have it right. It is about ideological differences, not racial differences. When you get down to it, all conflict is basically that of ideology, not racial. Ideology is a set of beliefs. For example, what Yang espouses, others would hate. Ditto for Lal, Miriam, etc.

The USA is an unique phenomenon- we all believe in different things, and are not persecuted for believing different.

In most cases that is true, althrough I could cite examples from our recent past, such as Koresh, Ruby Ridge, et. al., whom somehow wand up on the wrong side of the law, often for some criminal act associated with the carrying out/defense of their ideology.

The backlash against those of Arabic descent and/or Muslim beliefs in the USA is a good example of what people in other ideolgical societies have to go through when they believe different than the accepted norm. Note, that not all Muslims are Arabs, and vice versa.

(For the record, I am neither, but that doesn't stop me from saying "hang on now, wait a sec, what did this person do?")

Something to ponder about.
Old October 3, 2001, 10:18   #8
Vale Lurk
Settler

Local Time: 14:05
>The USA is an unique phenomenon- we all believe in different >things, and are not persecuted for believing different.

Sorry, but I can't let this nonsense pass without comment.

Heard of the rest of the Western world? (And a few other countries, besides).

Since this is off-topic, I'll stop here, but really ....
Old October 5, 2001, 11:14   #9
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

This is true, and in regard to many issues folks are more tolerant on the other side of the Atlantic. They don't have people dying form lack of health care either.