Old September 12, 1999, 18:49   #1
Lord Oakden
Settler

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Changing the names of tribes?
I am new at this so please be simple with me. I can't seem to figure out how to change a tribe's name. I can change the adjective and everthing else EXCEPT the actual name. Somebody help me! I would love to make scenarios but this is really getting frustrating. ( Don't laugh at me if it is staring me in the face. I said I was new )

------------------
~Lord Oakden~
Old September 12, 1999, 19:42   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:31
Lord Oakden,

For scenario-creation purposes, you activate the 'Cheat Mode', 'Cheat' > 'Edit King' > Select Tribe > 'Edit Name'.
Old September 14, 1999, 23:31   #3
Jim W
Warlord

If you do this thing under the cheat window, can you play the game without being listed as a cheat? I mean, if you change all these names and so on, then you make a great game, finally fighting your way to victory, only to find that it doesn't count for anything because the computer says you cheated, wouldn't that be almost terminally annoying?

Jim W
Old September 15, 1999, 19:55   #4
shamrock
Warlord

Jim W-

While it is necessary to activate the cheat mode to create a scenario, that doesn't mean you will be cited for cheating when you actually play the scenario you have created. When you are ready, simply select the "Save As Scenario" option at the bottom of the cheat menu. The next time you begin Civ, this file can then be loaded by simply choosing "Begin Scenario" and selecting this file. When you start the scenario, the cheat mode should be disabled.

[This message has been edited by shamrock (edited September 15, 1999).]
Old September 16, 1999, 00:33   #5
Jim W
Warlord

Thanks. I suspected it would work something like that.

Jim
Old September 28, 1999, 18:33   #6
Walterwise
Settler

I am also new at this! In CTP you had to set us folders in a specific manner. How do you set up your scenario folders in CivII so that your altered text files will work in the scenario.
Also on renaming the tribes, Can you actually chang the names in the city.txt file and rules.txt file so that when you build the new city namew will appear?
One last question is does anyone know if CivII and TOT are compatible as far as scenarios and units?
Thanks!!!
Old September 28, 1999, 19:59   #7
Fast_Eddie

1. All you have to do with folders is make one, then put all the files you want changed into it. However, there are some exceptions (tell if there are some I've missed), and those include the pedia.txt, and any graphics that can only be changed through .gif extrctors. With TOT, you must remove the animations file (I wish I remembered what it was...hell, not many people have TOT so it won't matter...) so that the new terrain resources you add in won't come out looking very strange.

2. Yup, simply follow the pattern that is set and add in the new city names. Some civers here are quite picky about that, but I for one don't care if the scen is fun.

3. Civ2 (2.42, CIC, FW, and MGE) are NOT compatible with TOT!!!!! Graphics are easy to switch with a paint program, but TOT allows for taller unit icons (Sma width), and smaller shields (Which aren't even shields anymore), so they will have to be edited a little bit on things like shield placementand perhaps if you'd like them to be taller.

BTW, there is NO FW EDITOR IN TOT. As everyone should know, I never liked the editor, so I'm happy, but others will have to become used to working with paint programs and notepad in order to make modpacks and scenarios.