Old October 3, 2001, 15:03   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 10:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
WWII PBEM
'Sup Fellas,

Anybody interested in doing a WWII PBEM? At first thought I am leaning towards 2194DaysofWar, but with modifications so as to slow down the Axis' initial attack. Are there any takers on that? I am thinking that with suck extra space in the Atlantic like there is in 2194, I could spread out the map, and re-place some cities... like move England over a few Squares etc... Also, reduce the Japanese Blitz across the Pacific. You can generally take a ton of cities on the first turn as Japan, and quickly prepare a strike at the US. These types of things need to be changed for this to work in PBEM format.

Or other scens of WWII that you guys might want to play? I think I am leaning towards a modified 2194 though.

-FMK.

Last edited by klesh; October 4, 2001 at 00:28.
Old October 3, 2001, 19:01   #2
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 14:06
How about the struggle for europe? i mean its massive with a lot of event bat things but it would surely be perfect but im in FMK whatever. i mean i could even make a map lol

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old October 3, 2001, 22:33   #3
Grothgar
Prince

just in case its 2194days pbem ive started to make the map. heres the part i have completed at the moment. and its a bit rouhg so criticism willl meet with death
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	little map.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	3508  

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old October 3, 2001, 23:11   #4
SunTzu
Prince

here
I think we should use Marko's The Struggle for Europe scenario as the PBEM
Its alot better than 2194days of war.
Now if we play Marko's TSFE, i would like to be the Allies
Old October 4, 2001, 00:11   #5
klesh
King

TSFE it is!
Hold that map Grothgar! Marko Urm put a TON of work into this scenario, so I think it's time has come for a PBEM indeed! Since I started this idea here, I will glady step forward and select the Soviets as my Civ . We will start from the begining, May 1940 IIRC.

Here we have a list of the playable nations, though some would be a terrific challenge (major Lend-Lease anyone?). Axis, Allies, Soviets and Spain have been taken already...

Get these Civs whilst there is still time! The Struggle for Europe is on the horizon!

"Our cause is just, the enemy will be smashed."
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hammersickle.gif
Views:	191
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	3516  

Last edited by klesh; October 5, 2001 at 17:40.
Old October 4, 2001, 11:14   #6
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
There is no mac version of that scenario (and making one would be very hard, due to the large amount of files and huge .bat file).

I would like to participate as the Axis (although I have never played the scenario) but someone would have to send me the files used in the particular setup of the scenario, I can convert them, no problem, it is the bat file and the vast amount of files thats the problem, if I get the right files I can, and want to play
Old October 4, 2001, 13:23   #7
Grothgar
Prince

Damn i knew i should have staked my claim lol. well if henrik pulls out im the axis but if not then i will be the spannish because ive been playing them recently and i managed to conquer quite a bit of france I will get to work on the map

Old October 4, 2001, 14:22   #8
klesh
King

Mac Dorks...

Geez, thanks alot Henrik. Now we gotta do all this crap just so you can play... sheesh! Seriously though, there is alot to be done for you, and I am not too sure how to do it.

First we must decide difficulty level...I am voting for Medium. Then there are also a ton of changes based on the date.

There are the dates for changing (i assume) the rules, and the events texts as well as the winter units and terrain files etc:

May45
Dec44
June44
July43
Nov42
July42
Nov41
June41
July40
May40

So Henrik, we need to send you events, and rules for all of these timechanges as well as these files being only those for play at the Medium Difficulty level. I count 10 timechanges... so therefore 20 files? I looked through the huge Batch program to try and decifer which are the ones we need to be using... I think I may contact Marko Urm to see if he could give us a hand, or if he wants to play too! This will be a complicated one to get going, and we need to make sure we are all playing with the proper setup or it is worthless. There is soo much to get wrong here, we need to make sure we get it right.

Also, does anyone know the diplomatic aspects of this scen? Will this take place exactly along the lines of WWII in history? Are their chances to sue for peace, or at least to cease fire for a bit? That could really save the smaller countries from getting overrun too soon. Just wondering.

So c'mon all you Civ masters out there. Time to test your skills against the toughest of odds. Can you keep an independent Jugoslavia going as the Axis steamroller crushes all those who resist?

-Vasily Kleshnikov
Marshal of the Soviet Union

Last edited by klesh; October 4, 2001 at 14:38.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:45   #9
Grothgar
Prince

Right here is how to set up the game.

What difficulty?
2.Medium

What to do?
1.Start New Scenario

Please Choose Time?
1.May 1940

Please Choose Nation?
8. Multiplayer

Who Control Germany?
1.Germany Human Control

and there you have it ii is set up. And as for negotiations i think that there is only one oppurtunity for negotiations and that is in 1945 where the allies russia and germany can talk to each other to broker a peace if they want to and that is it. Of course we wil play on prince difficulty in the game as always
Right here we go a map. I was working on a modern map for europe so i completed it and them modified it. SO here it is. i havent included the USA bit or that little crappy island because they dont really count so here it is. only in jpeg because of my great paint program
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	strugglemap.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	3553  

Old October 4, 2001, 19:08   #10
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
er, the French should have Lebanon and Syria
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 4, 2001, 19:35   #11
Grothgar
Prince

damn you case . they should but because on the map they are purple i didnt notice them. thanx for pointing it out

HAPPY NOW!!!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	strugglemap.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	3561  

Old October 4, 2001, 19:39   #12
Grothgar
Prince

the only other nation worth playing would be france i think we could get by without anyone playing the jugos or the minor nations. by the way FMK hows stalingrad coming on?

also i dont think we need to turn it into a gif file with the grey outlines i added instead of the black ones it fades a lot less

Old October 4, 2001, 21:14   #13
klesh
King

Grothgar, I see that that is the proper set up for us pc guys to use, but poor Henrik suffers from accute Macintoshia-- a disease of the crappy opperating system. So we have to decifer what files the bat program changes to the default event, rules etc. I'll try it again.

Send her on over.... a .gif it must be!!!!!

Stalingrad is comming along ok. I have had most of my playtesters either drop out, or give me no replies....so it is slower than I would like. Still lots of events to be written, but I dont want to progress untill I know what I have now is going to be in the final. I have everything done including all the terrain, units, rules, people, game, pedia and other assorted things for the whole game. I lack only 4 of the 6 phases of events. Slow but sure my man, slow but sure....

I think we could get by with just a france human player...although it would be cool to have everyone involved...

-Vasily Kleshnikov

Last edited by klesh; November 27, 2001 at 17:02.
Old October 4, 2001, 22:05   #14
Scott F
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
I'll play, if someone will explain to me how the crazy PBEM thing works. Spain or France will do. Preferrably Spain, as I don't want to vanish from the map early on, though Hitler is better than Blum.
Old October 4, 2001, 22:10   #15
Grothgar
Prince

Well as long as its gets finnished that looks great. i know it would be great to get everyone involved the jugos could maybe stop the axis advance for a few months maybe thus buggering up barbarosa. and then the minor nations could just sit back and watch what side to jump in on but i would say france is a minimum.
but anyway i finnished that map for 2194days because istarted it so i finnished it and then i added all the countries in as well lol. so look at this my finest work i would say
all the countries are what they should be apart from where i had to create borders between countries

Old October 4, 2001, 22:18   #16
Grothgar
Prince

it aid the map was too big in size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so ill have to shrink it!! anyway scott you cant be spain because i am however france is open and you wont vanish from the map because you have sizeable possesions in north africa and syria and the ones in syria are almost out the way for the entirity so you can concentrate on getting back into france like in real life.

Anyway PBEM are quite simple. a player starts. in this case axis and starts it under a multiplayer internet game and plays their turn. then you press CNTL + N to end your turn properly and top the AI messing up your citys and then you pass it on to the next person who loads it up under internet game and then play your turn and you keep going on. diplomacy is handled here but it wont matter too much in this scenario um and if any events come up in your turn you tell people here what it said.
and thats it.

trying again oh and it wont let me still grr!!! what the hell kinda size is 600x0 anyway!!!!!

Old October 5, 2001, 11:20   #17
klesh
King

Cartography...
Nah, it can't be too big. I posted my title.gif and that is much bigger than this map. Hmmm, well, lemme try her as a gif and we'll see what we get. Once again, excellent map! More of a pastell this time huh?

Scott F, do you want me to put you down as France? PBEM is nothing to fear, PBEM is your friend.

-Vasily Kleshnikov
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	strugglemap.gif
Views:	154
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	3580  
Old October 5, 2001, 15:11   #18
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:06
Vive la France! Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité! And, hopefully, the Free French won't have to liberate Paris either!
Old October 5, 2001, 15:12   #19
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

if nobody else wants to then i will play as jugoslavia

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto
Old October 5, 2001, 15:12   #20
Dr. Nick
Deity

BTW, where do I get the scenario?
Old October 5, 2001, 16:27   #21
Grothgar
Prince

you can get it from civ fanatics and yeah i went for the lighter shades this time because it kinda goes better with this page

Old October 5, 2001, 16:51   #22
SunTzu
Prince

Winston Churhill comes into power...
The British Bulldog himself, Winston Churchill, was elected to the position of British Prime Minister to fight the evil NAZI Nation.
Old October 5, 2001, 16:54   #23
klesh
King

Woah there fellas
So far we have 2 people claiming the french. I have to let scott have first dibs at it, cause he was first. El Awrence, stand at the ready if scott doesnt answer. Jerkwaterbox, Jugoslavs...you got 'em. Can you post your email addy so I can put it up top? gracias.

-Vasily Kleshnikov
Old October 5, 2001, 16:59   #24
Dr. Nick
Deity

k, no problem.
Old October 5, 2001, 17:06   #25
Grothgar
Prince

COUP IN SPAIN!!!!

Today in Madrid, the capital of spain, the dictator General Franco was overthrown with a military coup led by a little known colonel named Garis Smitho. This is believed to have occured in the early hours of the morning and by 9am the general, as he is now calling himself, was in command. He is believed to value his neutrality and has sent ambassadors to all countries in europe telling them he had no place with their squabbles. At about the same time shots were exchanged between portugese and spannish forces on manuvers near the portugese border. The General has issued a threat demanding mony for the casulties they caused. It is beleived 4 gallant spannish people were killed and about 12 injured in this border clash. However as a result the spannish armed forces have begun massing on the portugese border.

THE MADRID SUN
(sponsered and distributed by General Garis Smitho & Co)

Old October 5, 2001, 17:07   #26
klesh
King

El Awrence... Minor nations are still open if you are down for that...if not, sit tight.

-VK
Old October 5, 2001, 17:44   #27
WarVoid
King

Since Scott is going to play this i'm going to pester him and play it myself.

I'll grab the minor powers and be clusterf*cked just like in WWII.

And Scott, shame on you, dropping to the same level as those damn frogs. Wait till I tell everyone over at DotW about this... muwahahaha
Old October 5, 2001, 18:25   #28
klesh
King

The Marshal Prepares the Front
From the files of the Stavka

Today saw the preparations of our glorious Proleterian Forces against any possible aggressive acts by Fascist dogs. Red Armour is pouring out of our factories, and fronteir positions are being fortified at an incredible rate. If the Fascist heathens think they can simple kick the door in, and our 'whole rotten structure' will come tumbling down...they are sorely mistaken. The might of the Worker's Nation will overthrow any Capitalist intentions to weaken Lenin's creation. Stalin has handed over complete controll of all Red Army forces, including those of the NKVD, to Marshal Vasily Kleshnikov. For his leadership on the field of battle can be matched by no man. A true Hero of the Revolution, he embodies all the qualities of fine Soviet leadership.

Here we see a photo of Marshal Kleshnikov at the frontier with the crew of a DShk M-38. The Marshal's knowledge of all weapons of the field make him a formitable opponent.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	zhukov2.gif
Views:	124
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	3634  
Old October 6, 2001, 04:41   #29
Scott F
Prince

Yeah, I will play if someone will explain how it works.

My email is sfluhr@indiana.edu

Now to go to civfanatics to hunt for this scenario.
Old October 6, 2001, 11:08   #30
klesh
King

Approaching 1940...
Updated Players List:

I am finishing up helping Henrik with all the files. Soon we will be ready to roll. Henrik is thinking of fiddling with some of the files to allow diplomacy or at least allow someone (I wonder who...) to attack a country at any time he/she pleases. Are all players okay with this? A small change I supose, and good news for the smaller countries who may want to remain neutral for a bit. Just shout at Henrik if you dont agree with these changes. We should be able to get this thing a-rollin' fairly soon.

-Vasily Kleshnikov
Attached Images:
File Type: gif sovietunion.gif (17.8 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by klesh; October 6, 2001 at 12:58.