Old October 4, 2001, 14:57   #1
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 10:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI surrenders?!
This summer, while reading a history of the Ottoman Empire (The Ottoman Centuries by Lord Kinross -- a good read), I was struck by the number of times cities just surrendered to the Ottomans, and I thought, "it sure would be cool if that happened in Civ."

Then this week I'm playing a game, doing two things I don't normally do: I'm going for world conquest, and I'm primarily using a navy to do the job. Okay, so I'm bombarding a Viking costal city, but don't quite finish it off. My turn ends with my vet destroyers all seriously in the red and me wondering how long this is going to take. Then, on their turn, the Vikings load up a couple of frigates and evacuate the city! Next turn I simply put an alpine troop ashore and take it without opposition!

Does this happen often?
Old October 4, 2001, 15:45   #2
drake
King

I've never seen that. The AI always seem to replenish defenders whenever it can, even in a city thats a lost cause.

I would guess that this was kind of a fluke occurence.
Old October 4, 2001, 18:53   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

I have seen them "suicide" their last unit attacking the surrounding defenders. But I don't recall them ever having ditched a city.
Old October 4, 2001, 21:37   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:08
Ive seen the AI move a mobile unit out to attack a unit 2 squares from the city (sitting on a special) and leave the city empty behind it
Old October 5, 2001, 03:43   #5
Rufus T. Firefly
King

There was no moving out to attack; they just sailed away (well, not quite; naturally I sank the frigates ). And this actually happened twice! The one thing I don't know is what they had on the frigates; maybe it was all units with an attack of zero. Still, quite amusing.

The really bewildering thing is that it was the Vikings, of all civs. I mean, I could understand it if it were the French... [ducks and runs for cover]
Old October 5, 2001, 07:16   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Given the intelligence of the AI, the frigates were probably setting out to invade your homeland
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 9, 2001, 07:59   #7
ariell
Settler

Local Time: 22:08
I agree. they sent out units with attacks of zero on the frigate. perhaps you were blocking his entrance to the city by land?
Old October 9, 2001, 09:24   #8
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 14:08
Normally the AI will never abandon a city, it would rather loss all the units in the city first, it never thinks in terms of number of units. Only in number of cities held.