Old October 4, 2001, 20:38   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Commandos 2
I happened to take the bus home last night. As luck would have it, there's a computer game store right by the stop. I timed it so that I would MISS the bus waiting there...which gave me time to peek my head in.

Anyway, Commandos 2 was just sitting there, and it has been a long, long while since I did that 'sneak around and kill Nazis' sort of thing. I skipped the FPSs doing it...and found that Commandos looked in some ways like Wolfenstein for the Mac. Try to avoid detection. Wear enemy uniforms. Etc.

Well, after reading the manual (which is in Korean, so I had to just sit down and look up some words in the dictionary -- hand grenade being one), I started the requisite tutorial.

So far: It's fun! You're basically solving puzzles but not Myst kind of puzzles. Things like: "How do I kill this guard without letting others see? Should I climb that wire? Where could I find wire cutters?"

Nothing fast-paced about it, but it does become awfully tense at times when you PRAY that the guard didn't hear you or get a good enough look at you. It really has that movie-like tension as you creep your way in to (out out of) enemy territory. I especially like that you have some freedome to choose how to win: Guns blazing (which seems not to work too well) or finesse (using the unique abilities of your team).

By the way, the gameplay being outstanding on its own, I just have to say: The graphics are stunning! Really makes plotting your moves a whole lot of fun...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 4, 2001, 20:54   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:08
I assume you've played Deus Ex? If not, you should try that.
Old October 4, 2001, 22:09   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:08
Yes. That was a fun game as well. This one, however, is a classic beer and pretzels affair. Frustrating in the early stages because you have to get used to the interface, but a great break from EU.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:23   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
Why didnīt you post in my "Commandos 2" thread?!

Anyways, did you already have any of the predecessors as well? If so, how is it compared to that.
I only have Commandos: Beyong the Call of Duty. The way youīre describing it, is exactly the feeling I had when playing Commandos, only now itīs fully 3D! Unfortunately my PC is at the bottom-end of the requirements as are my funds...