Old October 5, 2001, 14:33   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 09:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Question about Armies
We know that armies consist of 4 or 5 units (depending on whether you have the Pentagon MW). We also know from Firaxis posts that units can be upgraded, but only in cities.

The question is then, does the whole army have to taken into a city to upgrade units? or are armies flexible structures that can be changed in structure in the field?

If you have 2 mech inf. and 2 tanks, can you swap in an extra tank for a mech inf while still in the field? Or does an army have to be disbanded and reformed? Can reforming/switching units only happen in cities?
Old October 5, 2001, 14:56   #2
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:13
In real world, armies are built in cities or in military bases. So i think that for being able to make an army, or upgrade one, ALL the units of that army must be in a city or in a common point. But i think, cities... or military bases?... mmm, LETS THREAD!
Old October 5, 2001, 15:01   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
Re: Question about Armies
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
We know that armies consist of 4 or 5 units (depending on whether you have the Pentagon MW).
A nitpick: you mean 3 or 4 units.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 5, 2001, 15:06   #4
SerapisIV
King

Not really for the US anymore. Each region already has the command structure waiting, all it takes is attaching units (and getting them to the rgion) to put the army together.

Assuming each unit in civ is a regiment. I'd assume that each army is a division. Divisions routinely have additional elements attached to them for each mission. In addition, right now units of the US are scattered all over the globe. The divisions as we know them are rarely ever all in one place. Right now 1,000 troops of the 10th mountain division are going to Uzbekhistan (bad spelling, sorry), does that mean that to rejoin the rest of the division, say in Germany that they have to first stop back in the US to reform?

Also, when a unit is being modernized, why would its command structure change if all they're doing is picking up new equipment?

Say an army consists of 2 mech inf. and 2 armor and you want to upgrade the armor units to advanced armor, why does the whole army have to be in the city? Only the armor has to leave to pick up new tanks. Command structure remains the same. The mech inf shouldn't have to go to the cities too.
Old October 5, 2001, 15:07   #5
SerapisIV
King

Re: Re: Question about Armies
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
A nitpick: you mean 3 or 4 units.
I won't care about number details till I actually play the game. Game concepts I don't mind debating though
Old October 5, 2001, 16:07   #6
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 08:13
You mean 3,4 or 5. You stat out with only have 3 units in your army. The military academy lets you have then the Pentagon lets you have 5.
Old October 5, 2001, 16:10   #7
korn469
Emperor

dennis580

i thought the military academy let you build an unlimited number of armies, not add more troops to your armies
Old October 5, 2001, 16:18   #8
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
dennis580

i thought the military academy let you build an unlimited number of armies, not add more troops to your armies

Really? Thats good to hear. A limit of 1 army per 4 cities is stupid. It should depend on the population rather than the number of cities. Just because I can found 4 new cities doesn't mean I can support more armies. This military academy should help small nations.
Old October 5, 2001, 16:23   #9
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:13
It's not 3, 4, or 5. It's up to 3 (or 4 with some wonder). I'm willing to bet this means armies are flexible and can therefore be formed, reformed, and dismantled at the player's will.

But as always, we will see.