Old October 15, 1999, 00:41   #1
dodonna
Settler

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stupid newbie editing questions
Hello, I'm a stupid newbie trying to create my first scenario file. I've been trying to change the tribe and king names, without success.

First off, I gather that you can edit these names under "Edit King" on the Cheat Menu. However, unlike changes that I make under the Scenario Menu, the game doesn't seem to automatically remember them the next time. Do I need to "Save as Scenario?" If I do that, does it also save the new units and the other settings I've changed in the Scenario menu? Should I save it as the same filename as the one for the scenario folder I'm using?

Second, it seems that if you really want to change the game, you need to edit the rules.txt file, etc. When I initially created my scenario folder and began making changes, I note that rules.txt was automatically copied into the new folder. Do I need to copy cities.txt, leaders.txt, etc. into it as well? That's what I did, and then I tried editing tribe and king names directly in those files (and saved the changes)...but when I restarted the scenario, I still get those darned Celts and Persians. How many places do I need to make the changes to get the new names to take, and where do the files need to be located?

Old October 15, 1999, 07:46   #2
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi! Well you seem to have the same problem I
had when I tried to make my first scenario!

First of all it is important to know wether
you have the english version of CivII or not.

Assuming you have the english version: It shouldn't be to hard to change the names. You simply change the names to whatever you want under the Edit King menu and then save it as a scenario.
Other things you changed will also be saved.
Furthermore, change the names in the rules.txt as well. Just to make sure!
Now it should work.

You also need to copy the other txt-files like cities.txt and labels.txt into your folder to make chages in those areas functioning. And change the relevant things you'd like to see different.
Of course you only need the files you really need!

(Wow, that's long for my first post here!)

If you don't have the english version you also must make a copy of your files and give them the same name but change the ending to:
ger for german version and fre for french version.

If it still doesn't work please ask!

Have fun trying!
Old October 17, 1999, 15:09   #3
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 19:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Are you guys working with the FW version or MGE? If you are working with FW then do not use the editors, edit the text files with notepad or something.

A wealth of information exists in the scenario League's Tip section http://sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/tips_main.shtml .
Old October 18, 1999, 21:57   #4
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 19:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Happens to me all the time, and I ain't a newbie . . . jury is still out on stupidity.