Old October 5, 2001, 21:26   #1
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 14:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
negative review (preview)
I was reading the reviews at Amazon.com, this one seems to be the only negative one.

Quote:
4 of 47 people found the following review helpful:

Civilization3, a game?, June 12, 2001
Reviewer: Mohammad Al Qattan (see more about me) from Kuwait
As you'll probably know, civilization continues and here's the newest version of the game known as civ3. Now don't get too excited about this game, as more often, you never know how it will end up as. I know, i know, it's enjoyable but just like civ1 and 2 were, i don't really think civ3 will make any difference. Gameplay and graphics changed a little bit from civilization 1 to 2. But overall, everything is the same. Whoever made this game is a person who likes to cheat people into buying this game and wasting their money on some garbage. I'd suggest buyers think more often about the sims and simcity 3000 and if they have these games, they should be thankful to themselves. Thank you.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 5, 2001, 21:31   #2
Hoek
Prince

Local Time: 09:14
The person obviously isn't much of a civ fan, why else would he tell us to play simcity instead?
Old October 5, 2001, 21:33   #3
Christantine The Great
Prince

Obviously he just looked at the "III" at the end and assumed that it was just a "polished up" version of CivII. Of course the game is going to resemble CivII in some ways! I wonder when an intelligent review will come in.
Old October 5, 2001, 21:41   #4
Akron
Prince

He wants us to buy the sims and sim city 3000?!?

This guy has gotta be joking.
Old October 5, 2001, 22:04   #5
SerapisIV
King

Why in God's name would anyone listen to some damn fool's review of a game that hasn't been released!?!
Old October 5, 2001, 22:10   #6
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:14
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Why in God's name would anyone listen to some damn fool's review of a game that hasn't been released!?!
Because there are always sheep. If you look at it on its face most people who play one of the Civ games will never set foot in this website and wont have any knowlege of what is in Civ3. Morons like that guy can do alot of harm to those sheep.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 5, 2001, 22:43   #7
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 10:14
For someone who apparently doesn't like games that are 'mindless rehashes' of previous games, he doesn't seem to be paying attention. SimCity 3000 is much similar to SimCity 2000 (and even the original SimCity) than Civ3 is to Civ2. Don't you agree?
Old October 5, 2001, 22:44   #8
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
I am one of the truly blessed, having been an (unofficial) beta-tester for CIV III. Those who discovered a new meaning for life via engagement in CIV I or II will not be disappointed: for the newest installement contains the essence of the old versions (which made the game the most talked-about of its genre, ever!), with selective (and impressive) upgrades...skill-wise, graphics-wise, diplomacy-wise, combat-wise, resource-wise, history-wise; all of course allowing on-line play. The product's performance, even at the Beta-stage, was very good (or rather, outstanding, if one compares it to the appalling reliability offerred by any Microsoft product...
Hmmm now this one makes me wonder.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 5, 2001, 22:50   #9
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

it says "all allowing online play!?!
Old October 5, 2001, 22:54   #10
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:14
Ah! A review from someone who is qualified to give a review! And it's good news for MP fans, although quite a shame nothing more was used to describe it than "online." Personally, I think the MP will be the most surprising feature of the game. Why else would Firaxis keep it secret?

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 5, 2001, 23:21   #11
dearmad
Prince

um, what IS an UNOFFICIAL beta tester? Did someone raid the Firaxis offices and steal a beta or something?
Old October 5, 2001, 23:26   #12
JellyDonut
Prince

The "unofficial beta tester" is probably Sid's mom or something

Old October 5, 2001, 23:40   #13
Shiva
Prince

The person who posted the review is Mark Cleveland from Montreal, Canada.

Old October 6, 2001, 00:36   #14
KrazyHorse
Deity

Does he give an address? I live in that town. I swear to you I will not rest until I hunt him down!
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 6, 2001, 00:53   #15
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Does he give an address? I live in that town. I swear to you I will not rest until I hunt him down!
Don't forget to pick up the ski mask, duct tape, rope and switchblade. They'll come in handy when trying to get info. And a tape recorder so we can hear what he says. And before you leave, check his computer for any beta versions of the game.

Old October 6, 2001, 00:58   #16
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by meriadoc
For someone who apparently doesn't like games that are 'mindless rehashes' of previous games, he doesn't seem to be paying attention. SimCity 3000 is much similar to SimCity 2000 (and even the original SimCity) than Civ3 is to Civ2. Don't you agree?
Well personally I don't. Civ III is going to be practically the same game as the original Civ I. Sure there will be new features but after ten years it is going to be the same game with little change. For better or for worse it will be a cosmetic change of a game that I have been playing constantly for about a decade.
Old October 6, 2001, 01:08   #17
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Why don't you submit a follow up review, stating just how full of $hit this guy and his comments are?

Actually, where did you say this site was again?
Old October 6, 2001, 01:14   #18
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Why don't you submit a follow up review, stating just how full of $hit this guy and his comments are?

Actually, where did you say this site was again?
Amazon.com , and a review takes 5 to 7 days to be posted. I tossed one in that takes a indirect shot at him

Old October 6, 2001, 01:17   #19
civcop
Chieftain

You've all been duped
Look at the name again. The first name is a misspelled version of the Islam prophet (in its English variant) and the last name is a misspelled version of Usama bin Laden's terrorist group. Come now, do you think that Firaxis invited someone from Kuwait to be a Beta tester for their game? This is simply a simpleton who has negative opinions about Civ 3 and posted a dupe review. What's next, Ben Dover from Brighton, England posting a negative review about the game? Followed by Pierre Lereaux griping about the French being too willing to actually fight in Civ 3. The we'll see a review from Wang Chungtonight who opines that the Chinese rider is too weak. The final installment will be from Hy Awatha who complains that the Iroquois never rode horses and that the game absolutely sucks because of that.
Old October 6, 2001, 01:20   #20
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:14
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

Well personally I don't. Civ III is going to be practically the same game as the original Civ I. Sure there will be new features but after ten years it is going to be the same game with little change. For better or for worse it will be a cosmetic change of a game that I have been playing constantly for about a decade.
Guess what? I feel the same way about SimCity 3000. Guess what? I've never played it.

Guess what? I'm not qualified to say much about it, and neither is anybody else who hasn't played it. Same goes for Civ III.

As for being "practically the same game, " I challenge you to IGNORE the new culture changes and play the same way you did with Civ II & I. Eventually, you might find out that it IS a big change. Of course, by then it'll be too late for your wimpy little excuse of a nation
Old October 6, 2001, 01:21   #21
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

It really doesn't matter. I knew that the guy was just using that name to be an a$$hole, but all the same- stupidity either needs to be ignored or rebuked.

I prefer the latter, and that is why I posted MY preview at amazon.com.

Old October 6, 2001, 01:26   #22
Shiva
Prince

Re: You've all been duped
Quote:
Originally posted by civcop
Look at the name again. The first name is a misspelled version of the Islam prophet (in its English variant) and the last name is a misspelled version of Usama bin Laden's terrorist group. Come now, do you think that Firaxis invited someone from Kuwait to be a Beta tester for their game? This is simply a simpleton who has negative opinions about Civ 3 and posted a dupe review. What's next, Ben Dover from Brighton, England posting a negative review about the game? Followed by Pierre Lereaux griping about the French being too willing to actually fight in Civ 3. The we'll see a review from Wang Chungtonight who opines that the Chinese rider is too weak. The final installment will be from Hy Awatha who complains that the Iroquois never rode horses and that the game absolutely sucks because of that.
Ummmm the guy never said he was a beta tester.

Old October 6, 2001, 02:24   #23
El hidalgo
Warlord

That's it! I'm canceling my pre-order LE!

I don't know why anyone would listen to this guy, but I'm even more clueless as to why he would review a game he's never played in the first place. What in the world possesses someone to do that? Just a desire to get your name on a Web site? What a nut!
Old October 6, 2001, 02:43   #24
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by El hidalgo
I'm even more clueless as to why he would review a game he's never played in the first place.
Maybe he works for Activision...

Old October 6, 2001, 02:49   #25
Dida
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by El hidalgo
That's it! I'm canceling my pre-order LE!

I don't know why anyone would listen to this guy, but I'm even more clueless as to why he would review a game he's never played in the first place. What in the world possesses someone to do that? Just a desire to get your name on a Web site? What a nut!
there are already 18 or so reviews on Amazon.com, please note, most of those reviews are extremely positive. While I don't like people bashing the game w/o first playing it, giving the game 5 starts when the reviewers have never seem the game is really ridiculous too.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 6, 2001, 05:35   #26
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:14
Re: You've all been duped
Quote:
Originally posted by civcop
This is simply a simpleton who has negative opinions about Civ 3 and posted a dupe review.
I resent that!! Grouping some parasite in with all of us simpleton's is just not fair. Some of us like/love/dream about Civ and Civ3....
Old October 6, 2001, 06:46   #27
Ralf
King

A minimum rewiewer-demand is that the reviewer in question, actually likes the type of game his reviewing. If he likes RTS-games and dislike TBS-games by princip for example, then such negative player-reviews are as pointless as they are predictable.
Old October 6, 2001, 08:10   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
Quote:
Originally posted by CobraA1

Guess what? I feel the same way about SimCity 3000. Guess what? I've never played it.
LOL, here's the funny thing: I bought SimCity3000 when it first came out, having been a huge fan of the first two.

I took it back 2 days later, screaming for my money back. Despite Best Buy's no-return-if-opened policy, I got them to exchange it for a different game (Grim Fandango, woohoo!)

I found SC3K to be what he said about Civ II, actually. It was a lot of pretty graphics (and somewhat too cartoony) slapped over the same game, with a few new peripheral features and a horribly clunky interface.

This guy is just a chump.
Old October 6, 2001, 08:26   #29
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

How the hell does he know what the game is like? It isn't even out yet, it isn't even gold, so how does he know?

And another thing, from all the evidence shown, Civ2 --> Civ3 seems to be a greater jump that Civ1 --> Civ2.

I reckon, plain and simple, this guy is talking out of his arse. He ought to go back to his Playstation

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 6, 2001, 12:11   #30
Tventano
Warlord

Sim City was an inspiration for Sid to make Civ. Further CivIII should give the same feeling as the original Civ. So the facts he doe snot have wrong, just the interpretation is totally different.