Old October 6, 2001, 17:25   #61
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Resources in the Game, facts only
No need to find the images as Gramphos has updated this as I was writing the previous post.

I am sure is saltpetre, it would fit. Dan Magaha could you confirm this if you look at this thread

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 6, 2001, 17:31   #62
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:15
Re: Re: Resources in the Game, facts only
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
No need to find the images as Gramphos has updated this as I was writing the previous post.

I am sure is saltpetre, it would fit. Dan Magaha could you confirm this if you look at this thread
No need to tell you not to bother with the dye as you edited you post while i read it
I'll set it to 'saltpeter?' as I believe you are right. The color is correct at least.
Old October 6, 2001, 18:03   #63
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 06:15
I have been looking through all the modern screenshots, I haven't found any shots of uranium.
Old October 6, 2001, 18:24   #64
Provost Harrison
Deity

I have actually seen uranium, or what I am sure is uranium but I cannot remember where. I will have a look for it, see if I remember...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 6, 2001, 18:27   #65
Provost Harrison
Deity

Darkknight, your picture of gems appears to be a cavalry unit

Old October 6, 2001, 18:43   #66
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Quote:
I have actually seen uranium, or what I am sure is uranium but I cannot remember where. I will have a look for it, see if I remember...

Are you sure? I don't think we have any real modern screenshots. They would have to be after nuclear fission is discovered. If there are any screenshots for this time period, someone correct me.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:34   #67
java4me
Warlord

Yea, I wouldn't know what to look for, since I haven't seen any modern screenshot of after one of the nuclear advances.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:40   #68
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yeah, there has been a modern screenshot, and I am sure I have seen the resource of uranium. Damn, where was that screenshot...I am sure it was in the arctic north...

Old October 6, 2001, 19:43   #69
java4me
Warlord

Quote:
Yeah, there has been a modern screenshot, and I am sure I have seen the resource of uranium. Damn, where was that screenshot...I am sure it was in the arctic north...
Well, it would be great if you find it!!!
Old October 6, 2001, 19:48   #70
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 14:15
doh! I thought it looked like weird gems and the fish is a fish it's not gems any as it's in the ocean
Old October 6, 2001, 22:31   #71
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I already posted a thread about this a few weeks ago, you guys must have missed it. At that time, there was a decent response, and most of what you figured out was figured out.

Some additional things.

Bronze and Coal are definitely strategic resources. Bronze no image, but a mention in a magazine.

The thing Gramphos has labelled Furs? sure looks like a Beaver to me. That was a very important item for hundreds of years.

Gold is mentioned at the official Civ3 site as a Bonus good. Somewhere on the site where they explain the resource system.

Something looking like a roll of paper was also seen. Could be papyrus or paper.

There was some mention somewhere of Salt, but that's a bit hazy to me.

It has also been said that there are no more than 8 luxury goods, 8 strategic goods, and 30 goods total (thus, 14 bonus goods). I wonder where most of the bonus goods have been hiding.
Old October 6, 2001, 22:39   #72
JellyDonut
Prince

If it's any help, this is from the CivFanatics Info Center:

Quote:
List of resources (incomplete, not including luxury goods):
* Iron
* Oil
* Horse
* Rubber
* Bronze
* Gold
* Coal
* Uranium

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 6, 2001, 22:52   #73
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
Bronze and Coal are definitely strategic resources. Bronze no image, but a mention in a magazine.
I think Dan confirmed that bronze is not a strategic resource.
Old October 7, 2001, 03:19   #74
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
He sure did. Here is the post.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Bronze is not a strategic resource. Once you have bronze working, you can make Spearmen.

Dan
Old October 7, 2001, 03:26   #75
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:

Because Bronze is an alloy that has to be manufactured not a metal to be found lying around.

But has anyone found coal in a screen shot or Firaxis message?

David
Old October 7, 2001, 03:27   #76
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
I already posted a thread about this a few weeks ago, you guys must have missed it. At that time, there was a decent response, and most of what you figured out was figured out.
It must have been over a month ago. I didn't look back into August.

Some additional things.
Quote:
I need a reliable source. Give me a link. What would Caol be used for?

Quote:
The thing Gramphos has labelled Furs? sure looks like a Beaver to me. That was a very important item for hundreds of years.
The fact is that we have seen furs in a text, ant that picture is guessed to belong to that name, not the other way around. Furs is a luxury, but it might have another picture.

Quote:
Gold is mentioned at the official Civ3 site as a Bonus good. Somewhere on the site where they explain the resource system.
It have been moving around between bonus and luxury. I'll have look at it.

Quote:
Something looking like a roll of paper was also seen. Could be papyrus or paper.
Attach a picture to help other identify it, or provide a link and tell where to look.

Quote:
There was some mention somewhere of Salt, but that's a bit hazy to me.
I can't add it unless I've some facts on the issue.

Quote:
It has also been said that there are no more than 8 luxury goods, 8 strategic goods, and 30 goods total (thus, 14 bonus goods). I wonder where most of the bonus goods have been hiding.
I believed it to be 9 of each, but I might be wrong, source?
Old October 7, 2001, 03:28   #77
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
But has anyone found coal in a screen shot or Firaxis message?

David
Sure, we have seen coal, but we don't know whether it is just a bonus resource, or a strategic one.
Old October 7, 2001, 03:41   #78
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

List updated
I've updated the list after information taken from the Official FAQ
gold is a bonus and uranium requires fission.

As CivFanatics has proven to be wrong, and just is a summary of other sources they will not be considered as facts.
Old October 7, 2001, 04:06   #79
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Here's the Civ3 website quote about gold:

"Strategic resources are needed to make certain military units (iron, for example, is needed to make the Swordsman or Roman Legion units) Bonus resources are resources like gold that simply produce extra food, commerce, or shields."

Graphos, send me an email with your email address, and I'll send you the image including paper. That's one thing I still have.

I guess Beaver could fall under the generic term Furs, though it might be a separate thing.

Coal was used for lots of things in the 1700s and 1800s. Ships ran on it till about 1900 and older models continued to do so through WW2. So it could be the strategic resource for the Ironclad unit, but that may be the only one it really directly applies for. You might argue that until (and oftentimes after) the discovery of Oil processing in the late 1800s, most weapons manufactured in factories would need Coal in their production. Cannons, for instance.

Regarding Bronze, I see Dan's comments come from early April, and things may have changed since then. The article I saw was recent (in the last month, I know it was since the thread I posted about this topic), but then again many of those articles are based on months old builds of the game. It may be a playtesting issue for all we know.

Bronze, by the way, is basically made from a mixture of Tin and Copper, so for simplification's sake you might just call both Bronze.

I don't know where the quotes on the numbers of resources came from, but surely everything is subject to change anyways. As an example, we just found out today from the Dutch PC Zone review that "In total there are 32 wonders and 12 small wonders ..." when before we'd been led to believe there were 24 small wonders and 12 big ones! How does one read that sentence anyways: 44 wonders overall or 32?
Old October 7, 2001, 04:49   #80
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Here's the Civ3 website quote about gold:

"Strategic resources are needed to make certain military units (iron, for example, is needed to make the Swordsman or Roman Legion units) Bonus resources are resources like gold that simply produce extra food, commerce, or shields."
Yes, I found that before, it's why I moved gold

Quote:
Graphos, send me an email with your email address, and I'll send you the image including paper. That's one thing I still have.
Done with the forum mail-function (if it works)

Quote:
I guess Beaver could fall under the generic term Furs, though it might be a separate thing.
We keep it as is unless we find anything else.

Quote:
Coal was used for lots of things in the 1700s and 1800s. Ships ran on it till about 1900 and older models continued to do so through WW2. So it could be the strategic resource for the Ironclad unit, but that may be the only one it really directly applies for. You might argue that until (and oftentimes after) the discovery of Oil processing in the late 1800s, most weapons manufactured in factories would need Coal in their production. Cannons, for instance.
I don't say that it shouldn’t be a strategic resource, but until we know that it is I'll keep it as is.

Quote:
Regarding Bronze, I see Dan's comments come from early April, and things may have changed since then. The article I saw was recent (in the last month, I know it was since the thread I posted about this topic), but then again many of those articles are based on months old builds of the game. It may be a playtesting issue for all we know.
You read the date wrong. The forum uses day-month-year that mean it is early October

Quote:
Bronze, by the way, is basically made from a mixture of Tin and Copper, so for simplification's sake you might just call both Bronze.
I know, but I believe that they have no of these resources, even thou I guess that some civers will ad them later

Quote:
I don't know where the quotes on the numbers of resources came from, but surely everything is subject to change anyways. As an example, we just found out today from the Dutch PC Zone review that "In total there are 32 wonders and 12 small wonders ..." when before we'd been led to believe there were 24 small wonders and 12 big ones! How does one read that sentence anyways: 44 wonders overall or 32?
Yes, I guess that we have to find as many resources as possible.
Old October 7, 2001, 05:10   #81
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
No need to go that far back Harlan, most of the US's electricity still comes from burning king coal.

But this has to be my quote of the week, it's the only accurate statement of our current knowledge:

Quote:
... but surely everything is subject to change anyways.
David
Old October 7, 2001, 05:33   #82
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Is this uranium?
Attached Images:

Old October 7, 2001, 05:33   #83
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

This is a strategic resource. Paper?
Attached Images:

Old October 7, 2001, 07:24   #84
Sandman
King

I know that the pink/purple one is dye because:

1. For most of recorded history, purple was by far the rarest dye.
2. The image clearly shows a piece of white cloth being dipped in a bowl of dye.

As for whales being a luxury, that was just a guess/suggestion. I'm probably wrong.
Old October 7, 2001, 09:42   #85
Tventano
Warlord

I think whales are just as fish bonus food resources
Old October 7, 2001, 09:48   #86
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
This is a strategic resource. Paper?
IMO paper suffers from the same problem as bronze, its a product of manufacture not something found in nature. It would be daft to have it as a luxury, unless we are talking about an alternative to leaves in sanitation.

David
Old October 7, 2001, 09:54   #87
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
IMO paper suffers from the same problem as bronze, its a product of manufacture not something found in nature. It would be daft to have it as a luxury, unless we are talking about an alternative to leaves in sanitation.

David
It was someone that said that there were paper in the game, but I think that is rumors, but as I couldn't say what it was so I had to guess.
The picture was listed as a strategic resource.
Old October 7, 2001, 10:47   #88
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Is this uranium?
Where did you find it?

Anyway, uranium is a metal. Unless its ore is green (which I doubt), I don't think that is it.

Also, wouldn't the exploitation of forests by cities represent timber industries, one of which is paper?
Old October 7, 2001, 10:49   #89
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
I know that the pink/purple one is dye because:

1. For most of recorded history, purple was by far the rarest dye.
2. The image clearly shows a piece of white cloth being dipped in a bowl of dye.

As for whales being a luxury, that was just a guess/suggestion. I'm probably wrong.
I'd placed it as dye as i found that incense had another pic, but now as you say it I see the cloth.
Old October 7, 2001, 10:56   #90
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Where did you find it?
It was in the list a strategic resources available in one of the cities in the gamestar video (I think I've seen it on a mapscreen also)
Quote:
Anyway, uranium is a metal. Unless its ore is green (which I doubt), I don't think that is it.
What would it be? I don't know how the ore look, but that green thing made me think of radiation, I don't know why.

Quote:
Also, wouldn't the exploitation of forests by cities represent timber industries, one of which is paper?
No idea.
Attached Images: