Old October 10, 2001, 18:12   #121
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
OK, here is the screen where the saltpetre is listed as a strategic resource. The original can be found at the gallery of www.civ3.com on page 4 in the top right image. This section can be found at the top left of the city screen.

Now salt would be classed as a luxury, there is no way it could be described as a strategic resource. And saltpetre fits the visual description and is an important resource needed in manufacturing gunpowder. I rest my case

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 18:14   #122
Provost Harrison
Deity

Doh! Forgot to attach the image
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	citymgmt2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	3984  

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 18:15   #123
Sandman
King

Ok, thanks for putting me right.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:21   #124
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well I suppose it is still speculation that that is saltpetre, that was my suggestion, but I couldn't imagine it being anything other. Could Dan or someone from Firaxis confirm this (hint, hint )

Old October 11, 2001, 13:04   #125
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:16
Looking closer to that page on Rubber form Civilopedia (attached in this post again). I think it enables: (the number is the position in the list)
1. Mass Transit System,
6. Machine Infantry
7. Modern Armor
8. Panzer
9. Paratroopers
That is them that I’m quite sure on what it says. Here follows a list of things that is harder to read. ??? = Uncertain guess ??????? = Wild guess
2. SS Export Combine
3. Armor???
4. Artillery ???????
5. Marines ???????
10. Tank ???

I believe the order is alphabetical with improvements first and units after, and it is from that I direct my guesses.

I’ll NOT update the list with any guessed info, but I will update it with the info I’m almost sure of this weekend unless someone objects.
Old October 11, 2001, 13:37   #126
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Okay, I forgot to attach the image and as I want it next to the post about it, and maybe will change the attachment of the first post one day. I attach it to this post.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4044  
Old October 11, 2001, 15:52   #127
Provost Harrison
Deity

I think that says 'SS Exterior (covering?)' although I cannot make out the rest apart from the ones you have already written down. We will have to wait and see...

Last edited by Provost Harrison; October 11, 2001 at 15:58.
Old October 11, 2001, 16:10   #128
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I think that says 'SS Exterior (covering?)' although I cannot make out the rest apart from the ones you have already written down. We will have to wait and see...
You are right about the Exterior Part. The other one I don't know right now. I think it ends with -ine, but it might be -ing. Can someone else comment on this?
Old October 11, 2001, 16:39   #129
Provost Harrison
Deity

Nope, to me it is totally illegible...

Old October 11, 2001, 16:44   #130
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

After I've thought of it, it sounds logical to have rubber as a cover of a Space Ship. That will be added to teh list when I update it next time. (In a day or so, to lazy to do it right now )
Old October 11, 2001, 16:57   #131
Provost Harrison
Deity

Rubber as a cover for the spaceship? Well it sounds a bit strange to me, and I am not convinced it is covering, it is what it looked like at inspection, although it is virtually illegible.

Also, regarding the saltpetre/mystery white powder thing. If you check earlier city view screens, it is never present (in iron or bronze age). Now if you check the first screenshot (city view) linked in the news article (11.Oct/Civ3: SCREENSHOT CENTRAL), you will notice this white powder (which I claim is saltpetre) AND musketeers present in the city lower down in the screen. I am sure I am right with this one!

Old October 12, 2001, 13:44   #132
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 06:16
Gramphos, based on the russian civ-of-the-week info, you can add calvary and cossack to the units that need saltpeter. (I wonder if musketmen/musketeers need it too?)

It looks like Provost Harrison was right about the saltpeter as a strategic resource for gunpowder (which, like bronze, is manufactured, not natural). If you require more proof, see:

http://encarta.msn.com/find/Concise....2&ti=761567051

>Saltpeter was once used in gunpowder and is now found in explosives, fireworks, and matches.
Old October 12, 2001, 14:35   #133
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I'll update the list later tonight to include all rubber stats + all we've learned form today's update.

I also checked a screenshot of the SS and exterior covering is a ss thing. That makes it certain.
Old October 12, 2001, 14:53   #134
pithorr
Chieftain

Wood has been strategic material for 3000 years.
From Egyptians to 1700s...
Fleet, you know...
Old October 12, 2001, 15:30   #135
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

List updated
The list is once more updated. Now with what Rubber enables and saltpeter for sure.
Old October 12, 2001, 20:18   #136
Provost Harrison
Deity

Damn, I couldn't find this thread anywhere, but I have posted a thread on the issue of saltpeter. I knew the chemistry education would come in useful somewhere

Quote:
It looks like Provost Harrison was right about the saltpeter as a strategic resource for gunpowder (which, like bronze, is manufactured, not natural). If you require more proof, see:
Yeah, saltpeter is mined and used to manufacture gunpowder. The other components of gunpowder, charcoal and sulphur are very common and thus would not need to be special resources in themselves...

Old October 12, 2001, 21:38   #137
sekong
Warlord

Local Time: 14:16
In order to use iron, you need a minor wonder, which can be produced by a city having access to both iron and coal. You may be able to find it in the info center of civfanatics.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

I thought that too, but I was looking for it in one hour without find it, but I've seen it on pictures . Still I don't know for sure whether it is just a Bonus or a Strategic Resource. Can someone help me out.
Old October 12, 2001, 21:44   #138
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Do those numbers under "strategic resources" have some sort of arcane meaning? Any guesses? Any solid answers?
Old October 13, 2001, 14:27   #139
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 06:16
Confirmation of aluminum, required for (at least) stealth bomber:

http://www.multiplayer.it/show.php3?...00/s_img15.jpg
Old October 13, 2001, 15:36   #140
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Cool, that Pepsi Can turned out to be aluminium. I'll update the list later tonight.
Old October 13, 2001, 17:04   #141
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

List Updated
Now the list is updated to include the info from the Stealth Bomber screen.
Old October 13, 2001, 17:11   #142
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrike
Do those numbers under "strategic resources" have some sort of arcane meaning? Any guesses? Any solid answers?
I believe it is the number of resources of that type that you have access to. But it might as well be something else.
Old October 13, 2001, 20:08   #143
Provost Harrison
Deity

So for a little bit of background knowledge, I would presume that aluminium resources would represent an abundance of bauxite (aluminium ore). I would expect it wouldn't become available until the discovery of electricity, because before the development of electrolysis which is used to extract aluminium, it was extremely rare and expensive, despite the extreme abundance of it's compounds in the Earth's crust (in fact one of the most abundant elements on Earth). Electrolysis meant the metal could be separated by applying a high voltage across molten aluminium, and the liquid aluminium produced at the electrode removed.

So for it's appearance, I would expect that electricity would be the prerequisite.

But damn, they have called it aluminum, damn American spellings. It is aluminium, ending in -ium like other bleeding metallic element of this form (chromium, magnesium, uranium, mendelevium)

Old October 14, 2001, 05:12   #144
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

The layout of the list have been changed to make it easier to read. All colors are placed by a script, which means that I haven't put them out manually, and therefor may some errors exist in the HTML. Let me know if you have some problems.

These colors are used.
Headers: Background: quote color, Text: dark background color
Other, Background: changing between light and dark background. Each row starts with the opposite to the previous. Text: default
Old October 14, 2001, 09:46   #145
Yoleus
Warlord

The underlying terrain
Just a curiosity...
could we all try to see if a particular resource is linked with a fixed
kind of terrain, one or more than one, or random?
May be the "correlation policy" may vary between luxuries and strategical resources...
I think it could be precious to know:
ok, now I need oil, let me get hold of all the deserts in the world!
More on the same:
I got a desert tile with oil, I change it to plains (allow me), why should my oil wells get dry!?!
Old October 14, 2001, 12:18   #146
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Re: The underlying terrain
I believe that someone have said that each resource can be set on what terrain type it will exist, but if it only is on what terrains it would be generated or on what it can exist I don't know.
Old October 14, 2001, 12:24   #147
Yoleus
Warlord

Re: Re: The underlying terrain
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
I believe that someone have said that each resource can be set on what terrain type it will exist, but if it only is on what terrains it would be generated or on what it can exist I don't know.
I admit I have some problems in understanding your reply.
Do you mean there is a "resource map" independent of the "terrain map" and that resources appear only if the tile is adequate? So that if I terraform a tile of sea into land, I might end up with wheat?
Or that I can have a resource on any kind of terrain? (whales on the mountains)
I am quite confused.
Old October 14, 2001, 13:15   #148
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Gramphos

do you have any other screens like the rubber screen? could possibly all strategic resources grant a +2 trade bonus?
Old October 14, 2001, 13:31   #149
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Well, as I have some problem understanding myself too, will I take it one time more.

I don't know how the resources are stored, what I know is that someone (Dan?) said earlier that every resource could be modified to appear on every type of terrain. That is not default I guess, and the later part of my reply was about what would happen when a terrain was changed. I don't know that, but as there is support for having any resource on any terrain type it would be possible to keep the same resource when a terrain is changed, and only check if it is an allowed terrain when the maps are generated.
Old October 14, 2001, 13:34   #150
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
do you have any other screens like the rubber screen?
No, that screen and the Helicopter screen are the only I have.
Quote:
could possibly all strategic resources grant a +2 trade bonus?
Maybe, but not sure, they could give other bonuses as well.