Old October 6, 2001, 18:18   #1
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey!!!!!!! (re-made!)
Sorry Mark I was honestly going to edit my question!!

Ok here goes...

Can you sell units to allies like in Civ2?? THat was a pretty cool feature I remember. Usaully they were rejected with the "This is a puny obselete unit, this mighty empire does not need them" yet they were down to there last city

Anyway can you do it ???????

That would kick arse!
Old October 6, 2001, 18:20   #2
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:16
see:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=28556

i feel for the demise of your post...but at least you still have your avatar
Old October 6, 2001, 18:28   #3
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:16
Thanks but I was actaully hoping it was confirmed yet!

Ya, I like the auction idea a bunch
Old October 6, 2001, 18:31   #4
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
It is confirmed by the options on the diplomacy screen.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 6, 2001, 18:32   #5
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:16
I wonder what happens to sold CSUs...

P.S. Nemo, you've almost gotten your own back!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 6, 2001, 18:39   #6
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
I wonder what happens to sold CSUs...

P.S. Nemo, you've almost gotten your own back!
does CSU = Combat Stationed/Sold Units?
i hope you can dictate which city they go to.

p.s. yep yep! almost there! then i can rest my wrists
Old October 6, 2001, 18:41   #7
JellyDonut
Prince

No, CSU=Civ-Specific Unit, like the German Panzer or the Greek Hoplites.

Old October 6, 2001, 19:31   #8
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 06:16
Yes you can sell units to the other civs, but I don't think that you can sell your specific units!!!

Markos,

Please forgive me on the orginal HEY!!! thread, I was just trying to start somewhat of a discussion, instead of spamming, my orginal intent was to prevent the spamming!!!

Thank You

-java
Old October 6, 2001, 19:45   #9
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by java4me
Yes you can sell units to the other civs, but I don't think that you can sell your specific units!!!

Markos,

Please forgive me on the orginal HEY!!! thread, I was just trying to start somewhat of a discussion, instead of spamming, my orginal intent was to prevent the spamming!!!

Thank You

-java
well, i dont know about specific units, but i hope what ever i buy (specific or not) i can pick what city they go to upon purchase.

markos has deaf ears. although i would like to know why you all had different % taken away from you...it seemed abit biased. aww well. i have emailed and even stuck a signature file for my avatar. yet no luck. so if it does you any good ... hey markos be nice to them! hope that helps

p.s. This is my 500th post!!! I can now have my custom avatar back!!!!

Old October 6, 2001, 19:50   #10
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
p.s. This is my 500th post!!! I can now have my custom avatar back!!!!

Congrats, Nemo, but could you keep the clapping down? It's very loud and dizzying if you look at it for too long

Old October 6, 2001, 20:15   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

This thread is damn plagiarism of a much earlier thread of mine, and so is the Sell Arms thread!

Check it out:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=24697

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 6, 2001, 20:21   #12
JellyDonut
Prince

You must remember all that Civving has deteriorated these people's long-term memories. What once occupied a sizeable portion of the brain has been replaced by memories of technology prerequisites and wonder effects, and thus all traces of long-term memory have been erased. At least that's my theory.

Old October 6, 2001, 20:22   #13
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:16
Quote:
Originally posted by java4me

Markos,

Thank You

-java
Hey, that was my intent too, to warn people of the evil nature of the thread, but I guess mark didn't think so. I even predicted the future! O well.

And I think the reason why he gave us different pcrs is so that we'd all lose about the same number of posts. I lost about as many as you, java.

As for the selling of CSU, I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible. It still is sorta yours, since you made it, but some other nation is only giving it orders.
Old October 6, 2001, 20:31   #14
java4me
Warlord

So Markos, could you please read my letter to you, I really would like that!

Also, back to the topic, I sure hope you can't trade Civ specific units because it is that civs specific unit, and it should be traded!!!
Old October 6, 2001, 20:37   #15
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
As for the selling of CSU, I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible. It still is sorta yours, since you made it, but some other nation is only giving it orders.
Couldn't you say the same about any sold unit? It'll still be kind of yours, and it'll still be called by its original nationality (there was a screenshot somewhere where the French were controlling an "Egyptian Worker"). I think CSUs are going to stay the same, and the AI will judge how "good" a unit in trading based on its stats, so CSUs become more desirable.

Old October 6, 2001, 20:55   #16
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
At a guess, PCR is based on what percentage of your posts are spam and which are legit posts.
The 100% PCR's were presumably given out to strongly discouarge newbies from spamming their way to a higher rank. Presumably a little spamming from 'veteran' posters is slightly better tolerated.

One thing for sure, it has nothing to do with what is said in the FAQ
Quote:
a) spamming(=posting continuous one letter/ word/ phrase/ whatever posts): -20% of post count
b) disablement for one week(for whatever reason): -10% of post count(2 weeks, -20%, etc)
c) club threads(e.g. emperor thread only, etc): thread closed. starter gets -10% of post count
d) post count threads(e.g. "let's see if can get to 500' threads): thread closed. starter gets -10% of post count
one's status might even be changed to "village idiot" if he really acts like one to get to a higher level
Those penalties are much too weak to deter Newbies, and often too hard on vet's. So ultimately it should really come down to the moderators judgement.
(unless the moderator has a large vegetable wedged up his ass, causing him to be in a right snotty mood - in which case innocents tend to get 'smited)

I would, however, still like to know why my Drinking game thread was closed. If there was a _good_ reason I would like to know it. If there wasn't a good reason I'll just restart it sometime in the future.

I would say something on-topic but it has mostly been said already, However I can see a potential problem with X units per turn - how should it be automated? X gold per turn is very easily automated. I'm not sure if CSU's should be allowed to be traded, it kind of goes against the culture concepts, but it would be unfair if every civ except Americans could trade jets... so CSU's probably will be tradable.
Old October 6, 2001, 22:00   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
I would say something on-topic but it has mostly been said already, However I can see a potential problem with X units per turn - how should it be automated? X gold per turn is very easily automated. I'm not sure if CSU's should be allowed to be traded, it kind of goes against the culture concepts, but it would be unfair if every civ except Americans could trade jets... so CSU's probably will be tradable.
I don't think what's in the FAQ would really deter people from spamming at all. I for one would like to have "Village Idiot" next to my name

On topic, X units per turn would be very difficult to automate and would probably be undesirable to the player save the direst circumstances, but especially in dire circumstances, you want to keep your cities well defended. So it will probably not be included.

CSU trading seems sensible to me as it gives yet another bonus to CSUs: profit, and it also gives the player a source of obtaining units that are stronger than most of those present - for a price of course.

Old October 6, 2001, 22:07   #18
Akron
Prince

Another possibility is that when you trade away a CSU, it goes back to just the base unit.
We'll just have to wait and see which one it is.

BTW, Blake, just consider yourself really lucky that you didn't get a pcr for your contributions to the finally thread.

Also, I don't think it has to do with the percentage of spam posts that you have. The mods have better things to do than look through your past posts for spamminess. It seems to be just a flat 100-250 reduction (depending on your current post count). At least thats what I make of it.
Old October 6, 2001, 22:47   #19
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
BTW, Blake, just consider yourself really lucky that you didn't get a pcr for your contributions to the finally thread.
Lucky? I was looking forward to spamming the mods mailbox with my complaints about the unfairness of the Avatar rules
Besides, despite my spamming about 80% of my posts are still boring ol' strategy discussion posts of excessive length. (I contributed to the most technical Column in history )

Altough I am sorely tempted to try and get myself banned for a week right about exam time. I'd ask nicely to be banned, but I doubt the mods would take my request seriously unless it included a double order of fresh spamburgers. (yuck yuck)
(The village idiot title is mine! Bwahahahahah!)

Or I could just practise self control

Quote:
Also, I don't think it has to do with the percentage of spam posts that you have. The mods have better things to do than look through your past posts for spamminess. It seems to be just a flat 100-250 reduction (depending on your current post count). At least thats what I make of it.
I was reffering more to the fact that someone who has been around for a year or two has, most likely, a greater percentage of legit posts than someone who has a post count of 100 and has only been on for a week.... a 100 or so post penalty does seem an appropriate 'punishment' for spamming. 100% PCR just sounds more scary
Old October 6, 2001, 22:53   #20
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Or I could just practise self control

You kill me!

Old October 7, 2001, 01:52   #21
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Altough I am sorely tempted to try and get myself banned for a week right about exam time
now that would be a smart thing to do...i am sorry i hadn't thought of that before!

Quote:
I was looking forward to spamming the mods mailbox with my complaints about the unfairness of the Avatar rules
I'M THERE! just tell me when

Quote:
This thread is damn plagiarism of a much earlier thread of mine, and so is the Sell Arms thread!

Check it out:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=24697
that was my first post to this thread actually (and the second in the entire thread)

but, hey, each takes its own route

P.S. sorry for making you dizzy JellyDonut! but i was REALLY happy
Old October 7, 2001, 01:55   #22
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
P.S. sorry for making you dizzy JellyDonut! but i was REALLY happy
I understand. I just got my custom avatar about a half-hour ago

Old October 7, 2001, 02:22   #23
java4me
Warlord

Markos,

Please please read my letter to you, I seriously didn't mean it!!!

And I will never do it again.

I was just trying to make it a useful thread.

Please please give me back my amount of post!!!

-Java

BTT, I think that what I have described is what I have already described!!!
Old October 7, 2001, 03:39   #24
Crouchback
Warlord

Now what was this thread about again?

Was it to congratulate Nemo on the just return of his custom avatar? Great flag by the way.

Was it a competition to be the first to get the title of "village idiot"? Which I most deserve, look at my previous posts.

No wait Mark, don't take away my humble post count yet. I remember...

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
Another possibility is that when you trade away a CSU, it goes back to just the base unit.
Are CSU based on a unit on ordinary units or upgraded versions of general units? I thought they are new and separate units in they're own right, so they can't revert or be downgraded. Hopefully they'll be a potentially valuable trade item, especially the Panzers.

David
Old October 7, 2001, 05:59   #25
Black Fluffy Lion

Quote:
Markos,

Please please read my letter to you, I seriously didn't mean it!!!

And I will never do it again.

I was just trying to make it a useful thread.

Please please give me back my amount of post!!!

-Java

same here. i do not appreciate being put to settler again. please read my message to you and reply

Old October 7, 2001, 09:17   #26
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
However I can see a potential problem with X units per turn - how should it be automated? X gold per turn is very easily automated.
I doubt that you could make a contract for units per turn. that doesn't seem to make sense. that's like adding one more resource per turn, or promising x number of techs per turn. these can only be one time things, maybe paid for on a per turn basis, but given one at a time.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 7, 2001, 10:08   #27
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
Are CSU based on a unit on ordinary units or upgraded versions of general units? I thought they are new and separate units in they're own right, so they can't revert or be downgraded. Hopefully they'll be a potentially valuable trade item, especially the Panzers.
They seem to be based on ordinary units. The jaguar warrior is just an improved warrior, for instance. So its possible that when it gets traded, it just becomes a warrior. But whether they become UUs under the control of a certain civ or they are units independent of their base unit is what matters.

Black Fluffy Lion- I don't think mark really cares. The mods don't like to waste time on people they feel are spammers. If you really want your post count back and want marks attention, go try posting in the apolyton and community forum. Or email him. But I don't think that your sig or location will have any effect. Look at Nemo's success with it.
Old October 7, 2001, 14:28   #28
java4me
Warlord

[SIZE=4]MARKOS PLEASE, PLEASE, LISTEN, I WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE THREAD MEANINGFUL!!!

BTT, the CSU isn't up for trade, at least that is what we have brought up so far.
Old October 7, 2001, 14:33   #29
JellyDonut
Prince

It seems distractingly unrealistic to have a sold Indian War Elephant turn into a Knight. Does the elephant shrink, morph, change color, and grow fur all of a sudden? Naw, either keep is as an Elephant or don't allow it to be sold at all.

P.S. java: I don't know how Java works, but here we close our tags

Old October 7, 2001, 14:36   #30
java4me
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
It seems distractingly unrealistic to have a sold Indian War Elephant turn into a Knight. Does the elephant shrink, morph, change color, and grow fur all of a sudden? Naw, either keep is as an Elephant or don't allow it to be sold at all.

P.S. java: I don't know how Java works, but here we close our tags
You are right on the elephant!!!

P.S. I don't mean java in the computer java, I meant the java in the coffee java!!!

I honestly don't know much about computer java, only html, and C++!!!