Old October 11, 2001, 12:15   #31
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 15:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mmm, how about the Imperial March from Star Wars for Yang? I can imagine Yang arriving in your conquered capital like Darth Vader while hundreds of hive needlejets fly over the base and Hive soldiers are waiting for inspection.
Old October 11, 2001, 16:15   #32
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
Re: Re: theme songs for factions....
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Avenoct, have you ever considered joining in the Fiction Forum?
Quite right you are, Mr Prez.
Smack, why did you want someone else to write the Aldebaran story? You could of pulled it off aswell, even better since you already had the story imprinted in your brain waves. And you are a native English speaker.
You people really should learn Finnish

Quote:
No no!!! Don't make me listen to Enya!!!
Don't worry. I had an OT thread about this some time ago, and many people share your... incapability

Quote:
That would be Money by Pink Floyd. And you're correct: It would be perfect for Morgan
Yes! It was right at the tip of my tongue.

Quote:
Enya featuring Yanni?
Who's Yanni?

Quote:
the Imperial March from Star Wars for Yang
Or Vangelis? Not Chariots of Fire, of course, but the piece with much more... monolithness (if there's such a word) and... spectacularitity, something like... yes, Soviet music.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:57   #33
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
I take everything personally.
Old October 11, 2001, 20:21   #34
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Kass: Soviet music would suit Yang, but I don't know if communist anthems would be popular. What does it matter, though? This is an imaginative thread.

Yanni is a Greek keyboard and vocal artist. He sings like a man being electrocuted while hitting a cat with a baby.
Old October 11, 2001, 22:31   #35
Sir Hawkeye
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:17
I would think "Workin' in a Coal Mine" or whatever that song is called would work well for Domai.

Or if not that, "John Henry Was a Steel-Drivin' Man"
Old October 12, 2001, 03:03   #36
Spacecow
Settler

Local Time: 08:17
Music for Yang?
I can definitely see soviet music being Yang-like, but I also think that the sound of people screaming in the punishment spheres would be Yang's kind of music (wasn't "horrific beauty" the phrase used in the voice-over for the spheres?). Or maybe Stomp... using trash cans as instruments seems harsh enough (nothing against Stomp, though).

And why not the theme song from the "A-Team" for the Spartans?
Old October 12, 2001, 04:33   #37
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 04:17
Do I take SMAC personally? Oh heck yeah!!
yeah I take it personally. I don't know about everyone else but I've had numerous colony pods whittled down to almost no power left by mindworms. Then, while your trying to get it back to a base for repair...another boil pops up! I start chanting "Go!Go!Go!...move your butt!!" but in the end the boil catches up to my pod and blows it up.

I also take the good Chairman's philosophy to heart and in a way, I think like him in real life.....spooky.

oh, and IMHO theme music would be as follows

Yang!- Soviet March Music/"Am I Evil?" (Metallica)
Peacekeepers-"Why Can't We Be Friends" (War?)
Spartans-"Kung-Fu Fighting" (Carl Douglas)
Morgans-"Money"
University-"Rocket Man" (Elton John)
Believers-"Praise is the Lord"
Gaians-"We Are the World"
Drones-"Working in a Coal Mine"
Pirates-"Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum"
DataAngels-"Weapon of Choice" (Fatboy Slim)
PlanetCult-"In the Hall of the Mountain King" (Grieg)
Consciousness-"Change Your Mind" (Sister Hazel)
Old October 12, 2001, 08:22   #38
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Of course I take the actions of the other factions personally. Every time Lal backstabs me, or declares war for no apparent reason, I say to myself ‘you bloody hypocrite’. In fact, on the rare occasions when he is friendly I am so overjoyed that I take a step back and think it must be a trick. This ‘personality’ has kept SMAC/X fresh long after the game mechanics became routine.

For music, I’d select Mars the Destroyer, from Gustav Holst’s Planet Suite for the Spartans.

Hydro
Old October 12, 2001, 08:52   #39
Sikander
King

Local Time: 07:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer
Svensgaard = In the Navy (Village People)
No wonder the Pirates have -1 growth!
Old October 12, 2001, 16:04   #40
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
Re: Do I take SMAC personally? Oh heck yeah!!
Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
DataAngels-"Weapon of Choice" (Fatboy Slim)
Hey, that video with Christopher Walken was truly hilarious, as is...

Quote:
No wonder they have -1 population growht
...this!

Quote:
Kass: Soviet music would suit Yang, but I don't know if communist anthems would be popular.
Nor is Enya - at least on 'Poly - , but who cares?

Quote:
Yanni is a Greek keyboard and vocal artist. He sings like a man being electrocuted while hitting a cat with a baby.
Ouch! And Smack is comparing this fella with Enya? Burn the heathen...
Old October 12, 2001, 21:59   #41
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Getting back on-topic.
Today I was playing as Believers, using a Fundie/Green SE, with a stable alliance with Morgan & Dee, Santiago & Yang hating my guts, and Lal, Zak sort of huffy, as usual. Santiago, Dee and Morgan are on the same continent as me, but quite distant, along a fungal covered causeway. Zak's and Lal's continents are seperated by just 1 tile of ocean from mine. Btw, the AI's are super versions with hefty SE bonuses, free rec tanks and original priorities.

Anyway, I decided to colonise Zak's landmass while he was still on it, so I built 3 outpost bases, then I decide to probe some tech so naturally he declares vendetta. A few turns later a swarm of probes barrages one of my poor outpost bases, destroying every facility. Then a few rovers come in and capture the base (leaving me somewhat startled). Lal decides this would be a fine time to invade my continent so parks a transport in the channel and swarms some probes over and knocks out a few facilities, as well as dropping a rover off which took out a few defensive units.
(His chosen invasion point was a monolith on a river, it also happened my units were swarming there to get upgrades)

Anyway, I was getting mightly riled so I recalled my forces (2 elite scout patrols ) from the spartan border, switch to power, and start a massive elite unit construction program. A decade or so later my formers raise a land bridge to Zak land, and a dozen or so of my elite 5X-3-1*2's swarm over, supported by 2-3+-2*2 and a few probes, I buy my poor base back for 210 credits and am just about to give Zak a hearty helping of Nervegas when he calls up and surrenders. He was easily 2/3rd as high as me on the power chart and had about as many bases as me.

The problem is, the AI did exactly the right thing. My elite X-units would have torn through his empire. Just a turn later surrender would have been impossible. But now he is stronger than ever, and safe from the most lethal military force on planet.
Old October 13, 2001, 04:14   #42
H0bbes
Emperor

Local Time: 16:17
I like Enya! I also like geckos, snakes, lemons, U2, dark chocolate, reading, ER and orange juice.

http://zanature.wordpress.com
Old October 13, 2001, 04:33   #43
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Thanks for sharing that with us!