Old October 7, 2001, 23:13   #1
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New idea: Unique techs for government types?
I had this sudden idea of perhaps being only able to research some techs under certain government types. Since each government type is like a restricted mindset, this would therefore influence researchers into thinking a certain way as well. The idea of all this would be so that if you wanted to research certain branches of the tech tree, you would be forced to switch to government types that you normally wouldn't have bothered with since the techs are unique to that government type. This would increase the variety in the game, you would have to make some hard choices in order to get the full tech tree.
Old October 7, 2001, 23:19   #2
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't think so. If a Monarchy wanted to they could research nuclear power they could. It might be an option just like buildings so who knows...
Old October 8, 2001, 00:50   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:19
I don't think so, either. You need to separate the rulers/government from the researchers.
Old October 8, 2001, 08:48   #4
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:19
If you want, you can probably make a scenario or something out of the ideam, but I don't think it would work too well in the actual game.
Old October 8, 2001, 08:56   #5
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:19
No way! though I think a Good idea would be that of the gov'ts being SO unique from each other, that each player would have to be forced to use ONE government for the era depending on their Ideology. I mean if the person has strong communist mind, there should be something about democracy in the game that really pisses him/her off because of the way it impacts his/her civ.
Old October 8, 2001, 09:33   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
No. It really doesn't sit well that, in order to get certain techs, your government would have to bend itself to allow the research.

And I think 'mindset' is incorporated in the reasearch bonuses/penalties inherant in each government type.