Old November 2, 1999, 20:47   #1
ragged-gothic
Settler

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Editing Maps (repost)
I posted this message a week ago, and recieved no reponses. I am still looking for help with this problem, so please forgive me for asking again:

Does anyone out there know of a better map editor for Civ2 than the one that comes with the game (I have the Multiplayer Gold version)? It takes hours and hours to move data from one map to another or to accurately relocate large terrain blocks. I would like to have the ability to cut-'n-paste arbitrarily chosen areas, either within a map, or from one map to another. I would also love the ability to resize maps once they are created. I spent about 3.5 hours on a map, only to discover that the map wasn't wide enough for the land masses I wanted, but that I could have trimmed area diamonds from the bottom to make up the difference while still remaining within the 10,000 diamond limit. Please help me to find such an editor, if it exists. Thanks.
Old November 3, 1999, 07:24   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
There are two map editors available:
* BMP-2-MAP
With this you can convert bitmaps into maps. I first thought it would be very useful, I don't use it, but maybe you like it.
* MapUtility
A utility that can convert between PCX images, Civ2/RRT2/SMAC maps. You can also resize maps. It's still in its developing stage, so more functions will be added.
This one isn't really interesting yet, but might become useful in a while.

I'm not sure where they can be downloaded... Probably right here at Apolyton (MarkG?).
Old November 3, 1999, 22:31   #3
ragged-gothic
Settler

Local Time: 00:02
Thanks for the information. I tried to find "BMP-2-MAP" and "MapUtility" in the ~dowloads~ part of the site, but I could not locate them. Also, can you tell me if the "BMP-2-MAP" program will allow you to switch both ways (i.e. from map to bitmap as well as bit map to map)? Anyone out there know where these programs (or others like them) ight be found?
Old November 4, 1999, 08:04   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
BMP-2-MAP cannot change back from map to bitmap (that's why it's so useless, otherwise you could nicely cut and paste areas etc.)

My site was down, but it's sort of up again now. So you can find both applications on it (and please be so kind to vote for my site )
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/civ2
[This message has been edited by Mercator (edited November 04, 1999).]