Old October 9, 2001, 14:24   #121
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva

Lighten up Francis.
first off my name is Josef, so i dont know where that came from, but anyway, when a game is gold and "there still working" on multiplayer ITS NOT GOOD.
Old October 9, 2001, 14:39   #122
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 08:20
Went right over Uber's head, didn't it? It wasn't the first time that's happened and it probably won't be the last.
Old October 9, 2001, 15:17   #123
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Went right over Uber's head, didn't it? It wasn't the first time that's happened and it probably won't be the last.

Yep.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 9, 2001, 18:01   #124
bigfree1

"Stripes" is a cool movie, I got it on DVD! Gotta love Bill Murray.

Old October 9, 2001, 18:18   #125
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:20
Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1
"Stripes" is a cool movie, I got it on DVD! Gotta love Bill Murray.
Are you sure this is relevent to the conversation? I'd check the thread you have posted in.

Damn, I am excited at the moment, this must be what it is like waiting for your missus to give birth

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 9, 2001, 18:25   #126
Steve Clark
King

Went over PH's head, too. Some of you youngsters need to be less ignorant.
Old October 9, 2001, 20:11   #127
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Went over PH's head, too. Some of you youngsters need to be less ignorant.
Should one of us explain 'fully' what was meant by "Lighten up Francis"?

Hint: Watch "Stripes" (John Candy is in it also)

Old October 9, 2001, 21:08   #128
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i saw the movie. sorry if i have enough of a life not to remember every word of it.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:10   #129
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
i saw the movie. sorry if i have enough of a life not to remember every word of it.
Worry no more, you are hereby forgiven.

Old October 9, 2001, 21:57   #130
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:20
Uber why did you change your name to Jingo or am I mistaken on the true identidy of Jingo?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 9, 2001, 23:05   #131
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No multi-player? Does it matter in the end?
I wouldn't be too unhappy about it not having MP at this stage. So many people went on about wanting it and having to have it or they wouldn't buy the game and so on but when you think about it, who is actually going to make full use of such a feature anyway? I can't imagine anyone playing such a long game for hours on end with other players over the internet, local network or even head-to-head modem, it requires too much commitment from everyone simultaneously. How many really made full use of the feature in Alpha Centauri anyway? The game, when it was first designed over ten years ago, was primarily geared for single-player and such is the longevity of each game, I can't really see that's changed for practical reasons.

A lot may harp on about wanting MP but in the end it may just be they want it on principle because that is what is expected these days of games rather than whether they will actually use it for any length of time.
Old October 9, 2001, 23:56   #132
TechWins
King

Oh Russel, oh you poor fellow:

Obviously you have not given much attention to these forums. Many people around here will only be playing the game for MP. I for one will still be buying the game but would love to have MP included. Not just for the principle of having MP included, yet for the fun that MP provides. For some MP is the only way to play and for people like yourself SP may be the only way to play. For your own personal well being you shouldn't be making such largely based assumptions about people without pertaining the proper knowledge first.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 10, 2001, 00:23   #133
FuFu15
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:20
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Oh Russel, oh you poor fellow:

Obviously you have not given much attention to these forums. Many people around here will only be playing the game for MP. I for one will still be buying the game but would love to have MP included. Not just for the principle of having MP included, yet for the fun that MP provides. For some MP is the only way to play and for people like yourself SP may be the only way to play. For your own personal well being you shouldn't be making such largely based assumptions about people without pertaining the proper knowledge first.
Old October 10, 2001, 00:30   #134
TechWins
King

Um...yeah...usually you comment on the quote you show when you post a quote, FuFu.
Old October 10, 2001, 00:52   #135
SITS
King

Re: No multi-player? Does it matter in the end?
Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
I wouldn't be too unhappy about it not having MP at this stage. So many people went on about wanting it and having to have it or they wouldn't buy the game and so on but when you think about it, who is actually going to make full use of such a feature anyway? I can't imagine anyone playing such a long game for hours on end with other players over the internet, local network or even head-to-head modem, it requires too much commitment from everyone simultaneously. How many really made full use of the feature in Alpha Centauri anyway? The game, when it was first designed over ten years ago, was primarily geared for single-player and such is the longevity of each game, I can't really see that's changed for practical reasons.

A lot may harp on about wanting MP but in the end it may just be they want it on principle because that is what is expected these days of games rather than whether they will actually use it for any length of time.
The only reason I started to play SMAC again was because of MP and the only reason I will continue to play is because of MP. Have a look at the forums of Civ2 MP and SMAC MP to how strong the MP community is. If you only play SP then you missing out a lot. Trust me.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 10, 2001, 01:15   #136
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Backpeddling on MP
Ok, I stand corrected. I assumed that with the length of the game, you may end up with a rather high internet bill.

So, tell me, how much are you MP advocates paying each month to your internet provider?
Old October 10, 2001, 01:25   #137
TechWins
King

Quote:
So, tell me, how much are you MP advocates paying each month to your internet provider?
Most people usually pay a flat fee for Internet. Whether their Internet be dial-up, dsl, cable, etc... You also have to remember that there are other ways to play MP. Such as through a LAN, PBEM (Play By E-Mail), and hotseat (a game being played on one computer with each person switching their seats after there turn is done...hint hint the name hotseat).

Russel you should have just stould corrected and not make yourself look like an even bigger fool.
Old October 10, 2001, 01:38   #138
SITS
King

Re: Backpeddling on MP
Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Ok, I stand corrected. I assumed that with the length of the game, you may end up with a rather high internet bill.

Playing PBeM doesn't require a lot of time logged on. The turn is zipped to between 30-80k so downloading it doesn't take that much time. Play the game offline - Zip the turn and attach it to an email and connect again. No biggy. Playing an IP game does require much more time but I generally don't play that way.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 10, 2001, 07:52   #139
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:20
Quote:

Most people usually pay a flat fee for Internet.
Correction: Most people in the USA pay a flat fee for Internet.

Many of our friends overseas still have to pay a fee based on usage for their time online. Their countries haven't built the "Unlimited Internet Access" minor wonder yet.

As for Multiplayer, there is a very vocal minority (which includes the gaming press) that have convinced developers that it is a "must have" feature in every game. This is ludicrous. Too many games are produced that do not have a wide enough audience to support online play. Others have a time commitment for playing that makes sustainable online play unrealistic for the majority of users. Civ3 falls into the latter category. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't bother with multiplayer, just that Firaxis did the right thing by not making multiplayer a priority for the initial offering (assuming, of course, they don't surprise us.......)
Old October 10, 2001, 08:07   #140
Typo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Correction: Most people in the USA pay a flat fee for Internet.

Many of our friends overseas still have to pay a fee based on usage for their time online. Their countries haven't built the "Unlimited Internet Access" minor wonder yet.
I'll think you will find this is much rarer now as most countries have ISP's that provide flat fee services although broadband access isn't as widely available as in the USA.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:26   #141
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Yep.

Flat fee services that cut you off after 2 hrs and ban you if you happen to use an 'unlimited' service too much. The internet in Europe is not freindly to the gamer.

Good job I have ADSL

Dave
Old October 10, 2001, 08:35   #142
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
Touchy touchy
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 10, 2001, 11:33   #143
Drago Sinio
Prince

stupid question dept.
What does it mean for a game to "go gold:, and why do we care?
It sounds like it refers to a sales figure, yet the game has not been sold yet? What am I missing?
Old October 10, 2001, 11:45   #144
SITS
King

It means that the final version that is going to the shops is finished and it has gone to the manufacturer to make the CD.

Old October 10, 2001, 12:27   #145
Drago Sinio
Prince

Thanks. That explains the excitement.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:31   #146
Flurry-of-fun
Settler

The difference between the US and the UK version is that in the US it will cost you only an arm and a leg, but in the UK they will want a few pounds more.

And as a wise man once said... Varium et Semper Femina.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:49   #147
Grim Leaper
Chieftain

waooh. i am realy surprised at how quickly that happened. They have kept to their predicted finish time as well. only 10 days to go... I hope the LE comes out in UK same time or soon, as i can't be bothered to pay extra for it from the US, and i really want that tech tree.
Old October 10, 2001, 15:42   #148
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Uber why did you change your name to Jingo or am I mistaken on the true identidy of Jingo?
jin·go (jngg)
n. pl. jin·goes
One who vociferously supports one's country, especially one who supports a belligerent foreign policy; a chauvinistic patriot.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:09   #149
BigBopper
Chieftain

Golden, baby, GOLDEN!
cough, cough, dusts off account...
wow 5 messages since 1999

ANYWAYS, ITS FINALLY GOLD!!!!!!!
....celebrates loudly for several hours....

time to quit work, dump the girlfreind, cut all ties with my family, install the toilet conversion in my computer chair, hook up to life support, and play till I can beat CIV III on diety.

now what can I do about the dog
Old October 10, 2001, 19:09   #150
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Re: Golden, baby, GOLDEN!
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBopper
now what can I do about the dog
Barbecue him; will save you time going to the shops when you need food when you have a ready sauce right there in your 'best friend'

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith