Old October 8, 2001, 19:04   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What I wanted to see in Civ3
As some of the more regular visitors to this Forum would know, the one thing thing I always wanted to see in Civ3, but will probably have to wait until Civ4 to get, was a more strategic combat system. Essentially what this would entail would have been the following:
1) Larger MP allowances for ground units(especially in Ancient times), but counterbalanced with "Operational Ranges" (O.R). Basically, a unit would have a range that it could successfully operate outside of friendly territory. Higher maintainance units (such as tanks and Mech Inf.) would have a shorter OR than low maintainance units (like rilfemen and swordsmen). Mounted units would have an intermediate range and civilian and SpecOps units would have the highest range
2) Range would also be affected by what terrain the units have crossed: eg Mountains and deserts would shorten range, wheras plains might slightly increase range.
3) If for any reason a unit should go or be outside its OR, the unit would begin to suffer damage according to the following formula:
(# of tiles outside OR*Maintainence Factor*Terrain Factor). This damage would reflect such things as hunger, disease, lack of fuel/ammo etc.
4) In order to extend a units range, you would have to do one of the following:
a) Build a fortress, connected by Road/Rail to your own territory, to act as supply points. Range would then be calculated from this point.
b) Capture an enemy city: This then becomes the new C&C centre for the battle. In order for a unit to fill this role it must have the following: a garrison force; a granary and a barracks.
5) If an enemy unit(s) should recapture a city, destroy a supply point, or disrupt the road/rail connecting supply points (by destroying or occupying them), then the units relying on them would be considered out of range and start suffering damage accordingly.
6) Lines of communication: Another important function of supply lines is to allow information to flow between the home-front and the front-lines (especially important for changing orders and recieving tactical updates). To reflect this, I felt that units should be given orders before setting out. Most of these would be the setting of a wapoint and a possible action to perform when they arrive (eg. move then attack, move then fortify, move then pillage). As long as the unit is within OR, then these orders can be changed freely. If, however, the unit moves outside this range, then the unit cannot respond to new orders until it has carried out its current orders. After this point, the AI will take over the unit(s) until communication lines are "Re-established"
(The AI's most common action would be to move to within OR, conditions permitting).
7) Obviously, new technologies (like radio and sattelites) would increase the effective range of a unit for communications purposes!
8) Lastly, certain new tile improvements, like watch towers and radar towers, should be allowed to be built. The effect of these improvements would be to extend a units visual range (for the purposes of seeing enemy units) and/or improve the chance of detecting stealth units (like subs, commandoes and stealth aircraft)
The major advantages of this system is that it gives homeground advantage to the defender, whilst forcing an potential aggressor to give some thought to strategic issues before they begin the attack! It also gives an alternate ethod for defenders to protect themselves from an invading force!!!
Anyway, I know this covers a lot of ground that I've covered before, but I keep wishing that the Firaxians would see it and MAYBE make some very last minute changes to the game (I'm not holding my breath!). It would work a lot better than this "Units can't use enemy Roads" abstraction that they are currently working with (I happen to agree that units should not be allowed to use enemy rail unless they capture the city its connected with!)

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old October 8, 2001, 21:19   #2
SITS
King

I suspect you will never see what you wish for in the Civ series as it has always been Sid's mantra that the game needs to be fun to play. Complex rules that model reality can get in the way of that and I suspect your wishes fall into that category.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 8, 2001, 21:25   #3
Bill3000
King

Local Time: 10:21
The_Aussie_Lurker: You're just wasting precious air: The game is completed.
"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
"Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis
Old October 8, 2001, 21:30   #4
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

I know it's completed, but I'm nothing if not a "Wishful thinker"!! I apologise for wasting valuable space-I'll just have to hope that "Clash.." incorporates these ideas instead. Though I don't think most of them would have been too difficult to apply to the game, Oh Well.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old October 8, 2001, 21:36   #5
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill3000
The_Aussie_Lurker: You're just wasting precious air: The game is completed.
i know right
thats what 'gone gold' means...
Old October 8, 2001, 21:58   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Though a more complex combat sytem would be fun for us 'high complexity realists', the way CIV is now makes it fun for many more people. I suspect that most CIVers don't really want a better combat system, but rather, more intelligent AI and a more intuitive diplomacy system.

Hopefully we will be getting BOTH of those in CivIII.
Old October 9, 2001, 04:09   #7
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:21
Old October 9, 2001, 04:49   #8
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:21
But the games not even out yet how do you know the game won't have these features or elements of them? I hope it's a great game and I hope it surprises you too!! (in a good way)