Old October 9, 2001, 10:17   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 10:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mac Civers get 4 forums and you can't make a Civ3-MP?!?
Perhaps i'm just dumb and don't remember it, but are all those mac forums new? There is a general Mac forum PLUS a Mac Civ2 forum PLUS a Mac CTP forum PLUS a Mac SMAC forum. And STILL no Civ3-MP. What the heck is up with that?

I just browsed through those mac forums and most don't have any posts more recent that early august! And still no civ3-MP.

Also there were very many, nearly half, threads about the Mac version of Civ3. Why the f*** are half a dozen Mac civ3 threads allowed to exist (despite very low posting) when every thread started on Civ3 in Civ2-MP gets shut immediately?!? What the heck is up with that?

MarkG tells us over and over again that MPers can just share civ3 general with everyone else, we aren't deserving of our own forum. Why then don't you make the Mac users share the general forums for each game? Shouldn't the civ2 mac users use the same boards as all the rest civ2 players? Why the special treatment of the Mac players and the crap against us MPers?

One of the biggest threads in this forum is debate about opening a civ3-MP forum, some of the biggest and most heated discussions in civ2-general are about MP. Why the heck don't we get our own?

Of course i'm sure anyone could list of half a dozen forums on this site with less than half a dozen active threads, but yet they are allowed to continue to exist but Civ3-MP isn't. What the heck is up with that?

Grrr.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 9, 2001, 10:29   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:23

http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...0&pagenumber=7

notice the form at the bottom of the thread list saying "Showing threads...."

there were 3 forums which became sub-forums under 1 forum....
the main forum is used as the host of the older three and as the place for civ3-mac threads

therefore, there is no "Apple Conspiracy" here....
Old October 9, 2001, 11:03   #3
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Jeeze, I don't care what you call them.

Give Civ3-MP a sub-phylum-mini-catagorical-beta forum for all i care. Classify it or organize it to your hearts content as long as you provide a "forumeske" place for MPers to post about Civ3.

I really don't care what you do with Mac. If you want a "host forum" and 3 "sum forums" go ahead and be my guest. But don't pretend that you are giving MP an even shake when you allow a dozen of unused forums to exist (whatever label you give them) and continually stimy legitiamte requests for a civ3-MP forum.

The rules and standards you continually espouse about MP fail to apply to many other threads out there. This is considered a DOUBLE STANDARD.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 9, 2001, 11:16   #4
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i dont know if you understand this, but what literally happened was that we had 3 mac forums and we merged them to 1

so again, the Civ3-MP issue has nothing to do with the situations in the Mac forum....

And just because we dont close forums with low traffic it doesnt mean we should open new forums who will certainly have low traffic....
Old October 9, 2001, 11:42   #5
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
And just because we dont close forums with low traffic it doesnt mean we should open new forums who will certainly have low traffic....
I don't understand why you believe there will be low traffic in the Civ3-MP forum. All evidence points to the contrary.

Lets just simply compare all the existing MP forums to their SP counterparts.

Civ2-General/Help
15476 Posts

Civ2-Test of Time
3889 Posts

Civ2-Strategy
21466 Posts

Civ2-Creation
5933 Posts

Civ2-Multiplaying
17283 Posts

While not the biggest Civ2-MP is still very substantial and very popular among civers.

AC-General/Help/Strategy
17950 Posts

AC-Creation
2235 Posts

AC-Fiction
6313 Posts

AC-Multiplaying
33784 Posts

gee, i think my point is made here. Over 7,000 more posts in MP than all other AC Forums COMBINED.

CtP-General/Help/Strategy
3937 Posts

CtP-Creation
2935 Posts

CtP-Multiplaying
36697 Posts

**** this is so sad for all the SPers out there. Clearly this speaks much for the power of MP. No one obviously has much care or attention for SP CtP because the game truthfully isn't the best, but yet with MP any heep of a game can be turned into something marvelous.

All tallied up posts for the three games that form the basis of Apolyton there are more posts and activity in the THREE MP Forums than in the NINE SP forums. 87764 in MP vs. 80134 in SP. You must be absolutly blind to deny how active and important the MP community is here. It seems very likely that any forum created for MP about the topic of Civ3 would have very much activity based on all evidence at hand. So please MarkG and Ming and whoever else, give us our forum.

Old October 9, 2001, 15:20   #6
tniem
King

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
I don't understand why you believe there will be low traffic in the Civ3-MP forum. All evidence points to the contrary.
Umm, maybe because there isn't going to be MP in Civ 3. Just a thought.
Old October 9, 2001, 15:29   #7
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

ozzy,

in case i havent made this clear by now, WHEN civ3 WILL have mp, we WILL open a civ3-mp forum, and yes, that forum WILL have LOTS of posts

but right NOW, civ3 does NOT have mp
Old October 9, 2001, 15:37   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
WHEN civ3 WILL have mp, we WILL open a civ3-mp forum, and yes, that forum WILL have LOTS of posts

but right NOW, civ3 does NOT have mp
Mark... I couldn't pass this one up...

There is no Civ3 on the market yet either, sp or mp

Both are just something planned for a future release
Old October 9, 2001, 15:41   #9
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Mark... I couldn't pass this one up...

There is no Civ3 on the market yet either, sp or mp

Both are just something planned for a future release
well to you too
Old October 9, 2001, 16:12   #10
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
Ozzy: If you keep making MP suggestion threads (not just samey whines) in the Civ3 General forum, MarkG will probably create a separate forum for them after a while. Right now every single MP thread there centres on the one thing.
Old October 9, 2001, 18:25   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:23
Well I agree in practice with Markos. It gets very annoying to have forums continually subdivided into smaller sections. I find having the general and civilisations sections to the civ3 forums to be a pain in the arse. The major purposes of a civ3 MP forum would be to track games and PBEMs, and until that is released, there is no need whatsoever to include these forums. When launched, it will be quite important as a point to coordinate games. Until that time, it is pointless..

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith