Old October 9, 2001, 14:22   #1
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Arcanum
Anyone else played this fine game? What did others think?

I must say despite the outdated graphics, and maxing out level half way thru the game, it is overall a very fun game.
Old October 9, 2001, 14:58   #2
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 14:23
i played the demo.
good, nice character and stat differences in speach.
but then i played diablo 2.
it hadles every thing so much better. like death. and interferance.
arcarnum was what i was going to get, but shogun total war and civ3 enticed me...
nuff said
Old October 9, 2001, 15:11   #3
November Adam
Prince

Well not really fair to compare Diablo 2 w/ Arcanum, as they are different sorts of games.

Here ya about Shogun, thinking about picking it up as I found this a very enjoyable game.

Wonder why they haven't made a game like Shogun w/ a western medievel theme.
Old October 9, 2001, 17:22   #4
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 10:23
Hmm... I'm sort of in the middle of playing, but I forgot to install the patch before starting to play. I'm now stuck because the dwarf king won't let me go into that place that has a guard standing next to it saying that I need to get the king's permission. You'd think that my character can ask him if he can go in, but no... Stillwater I found by pure accident, I was just walking around and suddenly I saw Stillwater.
Old October 9, 2001, 17:35   #5
November Adam
Prince

Haven't finished myself. Think your farther along then I am.

Want a spoiler for technologists?
Old October 9, 2001, 17:53   #6
November Adam
Prince

Spoiler for Technologists
Hungry for those high level tech's? Don't have the intellignece to get them? Don't want to spend your precious cp's on leveling up your intelligence?

Than try our quick and ingenious method. After sweating in intense labour to get those hard earned experience points, and enjoying that exhilaration of going up a level. Use the elixer of inteligence** just moments before picking a confounding schematic. And presto you have clarity of thought and you can learn that schematic with ease. Best of all you retain that knowledge even after the elixer wears off.

** elixer of intelligence is a magical item, but still suitable for technologists no matter what their tech aptitude. Not suitable for young children or people with chronic back fatigue.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:57   #7
Victor Galis
Emperor

Ah, like Baldur's Gate, where you can learn any number of spells at any level with an INT potion.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:34   #8
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 09:23
I love the game, and bought it the day it hit stores. Haven't had much time to play it due to this little project we've had going on in the office over the past few months, but I wanted to support Troika as I think they deserve it. Really nice folks, they are.

Plus, the RPG market can use all the hits it can stand. For every Fallout and Torment there are several stinkers, IMHO.

I will say due to some ill-fated point allocations to firearms before I was really ready to effectively use them, I've had a dickens of a time winning melee. Then I started putting points into lockpicking and now I have (ahem) "acquired" enough decent armor and weaponry that I can actually move around a bit.

If you start screwing around with allocating points into wacky things early it can seriously hinder your progress, that's for sure. Probably my biggest complaint about the game to date. But then, nobody forced me to turn off the autoleveling schemes..

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 15:00   #9
November Adam
Prince

Yep it's definetly a learning experience. Had to restart the game and throw some points into explosives to make molotov's to take those damn golumns down.

And I have no idea how many times I had to start and reload the game to kill those bastards who were guarding the gates.

C'est la vie.
Old October 10, 2001, 15:46   #10
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by November Adam
Yep it's definetly a learning experience. Had to restart the game and throw some points into explosives to make molotov's to take those damn golumns down.

And I have no idea how many times I had to start and reload the game to kill those bastards who were guarding the gates.

C'est la vie.
I'm currently at the point where I need to take out those Golems in the old Dwarven mines, and I'm just not strong enough to do it yet. I'm an expert at firearms, but I guess my perception isn't high enough for me to be very effective, because I rarely get kills with a gun. I switched to melee and was having a much better time of things, but my weapons get smashed up in a hurry whenever I start hammering away at Ore Golems or other mechanical beasties

What I've been doing in the meantime is just wandering around the map, stumbling onto hidden locations and trying to level up enough to make something out of myself

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 15:54   #11
November Adam
Prince

I found potions of haste work great, or your gun + molotovs.. the secret is to fight in turn based as opposed to real time, as everything happens way to fast.

W/ the gun molotov combo I would blast away andwhen I have very little action points left I would toss a molotov at the golem. It knocks him back so far it uses all of his action points to walk back to you. Granted you need to be in a long corridor to do this.

Well that's one idea.

Another thing is you only need to have you followers around when you level up. So if you whack all of the baddies by yourself you can get more xp. Hope this helps you in your endevour to make something of yourself!
Old October 10, 2001, 16:59   #12
Victor Galis
Emperor

"I'm currently at the point where I need to take out those Golems in the old Dwarven mines, and I'm just not strong enough to do it yet. I'm an expert at firearms, but I guess my perception isn't high enough for me to be very effective, because I rarely get kills with a gun. I switched to melee and was having a much better time of things, but my weapons get smashed up in a hurry whenever I start hammering away at Ore Golems or other mechanical beasties"

-I found the golems pretty easy opponents, but then, I had the dog. His teeth don't take damage, and I made Magnus a pyrotechnic axe... that does a whole lot of damage too. My strategy in those fights was mostly to take hits while my followers beat the snot out of things. I have the best AC, and I have a Charisma of 20, so... (my follower's reaction to me is slowly sinking, so I hurridly bumped it to the point where they wouldn't quit on me.)
Old October 11, 2001, 12:39   #13
tishco
Prince

wow, dans out of the civ3 forum. i didnt know you ventured out here!
Old October 11, 2001, 14:38   #14
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by tishco
wow, dans out of the civ3 forum. i didnt know you ventured out here!
Hey, I'm not only a Firaxian, I'm a gamer too...

Dan
Old October 15, 2001, 11:46   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Arcanum is a nice game... Probably the most non-linear and replayable RPG I've played.

But there are a few things that really bug me about it. For one, it's a bit slugish, especially in large areas. Also, the dungeons are not designed or balanced very well, usually they fill it up with a hundred little things you can kill in one hit, then throw in a few big things that kill you in one hit.