Old October 9, 2001, 20:34   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unit Upkeep Cost Questions
We know by now that units require gold for upkeep as opposed to shields, however do all units require equal upkeep costs?

An aircraft carrier does not have the same upkeep cost as a rifleman, do they both only cost 1 gold upkeep?

I think that by scaling the upkeep cost, modern armies are limited in size (a fact also played out in reality) because of their increased cost. As such, different military gaming styles can be used, whether its mass-produced but cheaper units or a smaller but high tech military with advanced units. Both styles would probably cost the same if a sliding scale unit upkeep is used, but would play in vastly different ways. Such a system would have parallels in the real world, as in the Chinese military which is enormous by manpower numbers but lacking technologically (though currently upgrading) versus the US military which is smaller, but has the edge in technology and lethality per soldier.

Without having a modern screenshot or having much modern unit info available, this concept is still debatable as we don't know the answer yet.
Old October 9, 2001, 20:44   #2
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:24
I know there's at least one screen out there that shows the player having something like 76 units, and the upkeep cost is 76 gold. I get the feeling it's going to be a 1:1 relationship.

Off to look for the link.....

Ah ha! It's 71 units, 71 gold. Hard to believe that there's not some variety of units that would justify higher upkeep, but it's still debatable as you say.

Link:
http://www.civ3.com/images/screensho...ry_advisor.jpg
Old October 9, 2001, 21:07   #3
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I know there's at least one screen out there that shows the player having something like 76 units, and the upkeep cost is 76 gold. I get the feeling it's going to be a 1:1 relationship.

Ah ha! It's 71 units, 71 gold. Hard to believe that there's not some variety of units that would justify higher upkeep, but it's still debatable as you say.
Those are still pre-industrial units. Hopefully modern units are an exception.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:10   #4
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 14:24
Re: Unit Upkeep Cost Questions
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
We know by now that units require gold for upkeep as opposed to shields, however do all units require equal upkeep costs?

An aircraft carrier does not have the same upkeep cost as a rifleman, do they both only cost 1 gold upkeep?

I think that by scaling the upkeep cost, modern armies are limited in size (a fact also played out in reality) because of their increased cost. As such, different military gaming styles can be used, whether its mass-produced but cheaper units or a smaller but high tech military with advanced units. Both styles would probably cost the same if a sliding scale unit upkeep is used, but would play in vastly different ways. Such a system would have parallels in the real world, as in the Chinese military which is enormous by manpower numbers but lacking technologically (though currently upgrading) versus the US military which is smaller, but has the edge in technology and lethality per soldier.

Without having a modern screenshot or having much modern unit info available, this concept is still debatable as we don't know the answer yet.
US miltary is smaller compare to the Chinese in manpower, but in fact, US military is very big, considering the fact that they have to keep their ships all over the globe.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:13   #5
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 14:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Off to look for the link.....

Link:
http://www.civ3.com/images/screensho...ry_advisor.jpg
I saw that screenshot too. If it's true that all units cost 1 gold upkeep, this game would be completely ruined. How in the world can you imagine a nuclear powered carrier to cost as much to maintain than an ancient time swordsman unit?
That means, by the modern time, as your gold incomes keep increasing, even a tiny Civ is capable of supporting 10+ fully equpped carrier fleet.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:17   #6
SerapisIV
King

Re: Re: Unit Upkeep Cost Questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
US miltary is smaller compare to the Chinese in manpower, but in fact, US military is very big, considering the fact that they have to keep their ships all over the globe.
That's my point the US military actually costs more then the Chinese military, yet the Chinese military is bigger. Will the unit upkeep costs reflect that idea? I think it should.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:22   #7
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:24
dont worry, all the units in screenshos are ancient
Old October 9, 2001, 21:23   #8
korn469
Emperor

from what i've heard, for every hour the B-2 stealth bomber flies it requires 100 hours of upkeep to keep it stealthy
so hopefully stealth bombers will require more upkeep than a normal bomber
Old October 9, 2001, 22:32   #9
Akron
Prince

It definitely shouldn't be as simple as 1:1. Obviously, not all units should require the same amount of support. Maybe it might be different in the modern age.
Old October 10, 2001, 01:15   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just keep in mind that Firaxis have yet to release modern screen-shots. Soon, though, soon.
Old October 10, 2001, 01:29   #11
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:24
i may be wrong but i thought somewhere along the line firaxis stated that there would be different upkeep costs. does anybody else remember hearing this? i'm most likely wrong but there is a slight chance i'm right that i heard this.

i sure hope there is different upkeep costs.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 10, 2001, 03:53   #12
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:24
In fact, differnt unit upkeep can actually destroy gameplay, at least in CTP.
In CTP upkeep cost was dependent of units production cost.
But human players often haven't disbanded their old units because
there were cheap to support compared to modern ones, so at lest they
could be used as cannon fodder.

I mean in CTP2 upkeep for phalanx was 1 point, for pikemean 4 points,
machine gunner was 12 poins, and tank a 20 point.
So it dosn't pay off to disband yours oblosete units.
Especally since upkeep is in global scale (like in CTP).

Maybe there shoudl be a smaller difference like:
1 point - melee & early ranged infanry
2 points - melee cavalry & catapults, firearm infantry
3 points - ranged firearm cavalry and cannons & artillery
4 poins - tanks, SAMs, interceptors etc...