Old October 10, 2001, 16:59   #1
Bill3000
King

Local Time: 10:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Events?
Well, we know there's no scripting language.

But by any chance, will there be at the very least an events editor like Civ2? (For instance, you make it that a textbox appears when you capture a city, lose the game if a certain unit is killed, or maybe even conditions to win a scenario)

It was in Civ2, so why not Civ3?
"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
"Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis
Old October 10, 2001, 17:29   #2
Stuie
King

I would think there will be, the way they've been going on about the editors. Hey, wasn't editing the event functionality in Civ2 added in an expansion pack? Hmm.... it's amazing how much Firaxis is giving us out of the box this time, and equally amazing how much people are finding to complain about.
Old October 10, 2001, 20:15   #3
Bill3000
King

*bump*

Don't let this thread fall!
"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis
Old October 10, 2001, 20:27   #4
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:27
Yea, All the evet stuff came with the Fantastic Worlds expansion pack. It was a good idea and I think it should be included with CivIII right out of the box, but I doubt it since there is no scripting language included.
Old October 11, 2001, 01:33   #5
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:27
Maybe some "primitive" event function will be included in the editor.
Old October 11, 2001, 19:38   #6
Bill3000
King

*bump*

Old October 11, 2001, 19:48   #7
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 14:27
This is from the 'Conflicts in Civilization' instruction manual:

Quote:
Building scenarios with the original Civilization II tools, the designers ran into several limitations that frustrated their creativity. Their reaction was to install a primitive - but rather useful - macro language that allowed them to add "events" to the game.

Terminology

Before we start explaining how to use this macro "language" (it's really not a full scale language, but there's no better word for what it is), we should define a few terms. ...
From what Dan said,

Quote:
Civ III will not be shipping with any form of scripting language or macro support.
Civ3 isn't even going to ship with such a rudimentary macro "language". So: no event manipulation whatsoever. What some of us were hoping for (actually, expecting) was that they would have expanded this macro "language" into a full scale scripting language like CTP2's SLIC. With a proper language like this, your creativity would be frustrated virtually only by your programming ability.

I'm sure that Civ3 will be a great game, but no matter how good it is there's going to be things that people want to change, but won't be able to change without a proper scripting language (and access to the necessary data). I'd always assumed that in providing SLIC and access to all the AI's data, CTP1/2 was just trying to move on (in it's own half-***ed way) from Civ2, and was looking forward to Civ3 where I hoped they'd get these features right.

So, I think it's really shortsighted not to provide a scripting language. The bottom line is that no matter how good the game is, there's some 15 or 16 year old kid out there who, if it had a scripting language, could make it better. And this just might be the kid whose ideas could result in Civ4's selling an extra half million copies.

[/end hyperbole mode]
Old October 11, 2001, 22:02   #8
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 09:27
they've been praising civ3's ease of sceanrio creation but they haven't included a macro language or any support for events? Have they actually stated this, or have we just not seen it yet? post a link please

How could they betray us like that?
Old October 11, 2001, 23:13   #9
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:27
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
they've been praising civ3's ease of sceanrio creation but they haven't included a macro language or any support for events? Have they actually stated this, or have we just not seen it yet? post a link please

How could they betray us like that?
Dan said it in this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ight=scripting
Old October 12, 2001, 00:37   #10
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 23:57
This makes you wonder how good the scenario editor they're supposed to be shipping will end up being. Hopefully it won't be like a simple saved-game with a few changed city names, leaders, etc.
Old October 12, 2001, 00:39   #11
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 09:27
the more i learn about civ3, the less i want to own it...