View Poll Results: Who long do you think will it take you to win a civ3 game at diety.
1 day 4 8.70%
1 week 2 4.35%
2 weeks 2 4.35%
1 month 8 17.39%
2 months 5 10.87%
4 months 4 8.70%
6 months 6 13.04%
1 year 4 8.70%
2 years 1 2.17%
I will never win it. 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11, 2001, 05:20   #1
kolpo
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How long do you think will it take you to win a civ3 game at diety
Rules:

Standard World size
difficulty: diety
random enemy civs
barbarians at maxium
All other options on default
Civ choose is completely free.
All victory conditions are allowed

Would be also intresting to redo this poll after the release.
Old October 11, 2001, 05:30   #2
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:30
This may be hard to believe but I have only played Civ2 at deity level once and quit after a half the game. It just got too stressful and I wasn't really having fun so unless the game is too easy I'll just stick with Prince, King or Emperor. Yes, I am a wimp.
Old October 11, 2001, 06:34   #3
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:30
Since even Sid can't beat it on Deity yet, I expect only the very arrogant to vote for anything less than a few months.

I would estimate a year for myself. I could never do it in Civ II, but I definitely think that I will play Civ III more and focus on climbing the ladder.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 11, 2001, 06:55   #4
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 16:30
I have no problems beating the AI in civ2.
it's hard to have a complete victory by destroying all AI players (for sure since I'm not a warmonger) but all other ways are always won by me.

I think it'll take me one month to beat the deity level.
Pherhaps earlier.

I'm playing civ since civ1 in early 1993

CyberShy
Old October 11, 2001, 07:10   #5
campmajor!
Prince

Yes, I am a veteran too. But only recently I played civ2 on deity, because in the beginning people got unhappy just a little bit too fast. That wasn't fun.

But now I play on deity and winning is not that hard, but to annihilate all players (if you play against 7) is difficult.

I expect it will take me one month to play on deity and win. I will start on Prince I think, since you have an equal chance against AI there (no cheating from AI on Prince level).

But it is unsure if my expectations will come true! So the idea of doing poll again later is a wise one.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:44   #6
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

yeah, the hard thing on civ2 deity is the start.
You need to keep your people happy, but if you found some ways to do that it's an easy job. Don't spread too fast, keep your cities near your captital, buy the right wonders, have enough military in your cities, build temples in time and all that.

After all the hard thing of deity makes sure that you have a more ballanced empire, and thus after 0 AD enemies will have a hard job to invade you.

I hope the new AI will be improved on the battlefield.
Attack you with big armies from two sides etc. Not the once in a time unit that comes over.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:53   #7
Deathwalker
Prince

I like playing on Deity, it makes the game more interesting, though that does mean I loss some times, but better that then always win. Though my girlfriend wont go above Cheften, but I''m trying to get her to go up a level.
Old October 11, 2001, 08:25   #8
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 00:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't play at that level, for I cease to find enjoyment in getting so angry that you are nearly inclined to hurl your computer out the window. [Although it is only really MoOII that has ever got me that worked up].

Bkeela.
Old October 11, 2001, 08:41   #9
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:30
well, i play civ games really slow and tediously, except if i have a certain strat like occ or am trying to be perfectionist, so my games take relaly long, and the hardest i ever played was emperor. i worked my way up ( i was 10 when i started, i was terible) it took me a while to get past cheiftan and by the time i got bored i had only advanced to emperor, then i got FW
Old October 11, 2001, 08:43   #10
August Borms
Prince

I'll never win on deity (I can't even win Civ2 on deity, unless conquering the world in 3000AD counts as winning) but I don't play to win, I play to have fun
Old October 11, 2001, 08:48   #11
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:30
How about, "until some apolytoners post a surefire winning strategy, and I learn to make it work"

It'll take a while for someone to post a strategy I can duplicate, then another while for me to actually get it right.

I read and reread pauls OCC guide several times before trying it, then took 4 tries beofre I actually made it!

at least a year, maybe 2. in the meantime, I'll certainly have fun.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 11, 2001, 09:01   #12
drake
King

Local Time: 10:30
If its anything like civ2's deity
The first attempt should be an overwhelming success.

If the game has enough differences from civ2, in playability and techniques, and perhaps a harder AI, I'd say 3-4 attempts before a succesful deity game.

As much as I play civ, that would probably be in the 1 -2 month range.
Old October 11, 2001, 11:56   #13
kolpo
Prince

double post

Last edited by kolpo; October 11, 2001 at 12:05.
Old October 11, 2001, 11:59   #14
kolpo
Prince

Intresting 50 % answered something between 1-6 months, so it looks like most think it will take some months and 11 % thinks it will take them a year or more to beat it. Because I think most of them have already beaten the civ2 diety A.I. do I think that many have faith in the new A.I. or think the game will have changed a lot.

A small group of 14 % think they can do it in 2 weeks or less and there are even 2 players who think they will beat diety the day they get the game, this measn that they will have to play that day many hours civ3 and from the first try play very good and udnerstand the game quite completely, my hat off for them if they succeed.

There are also 25 % players who either don't play diety or think it will be to hard to win.

I myself am in doubt: if momentium conquest is possible then will it take me 2 max 2 weeks a to do that. I think that Indian momentium elepthant conquest will be the best strategy, for that. So that you aren't slowed down by resources in your fast expansion. But maybe is 100*100 simple to big for that and will some new things like money unkeep for units and culture make it very hard or even impossible.
Old October 11, 2001, 12:02   #15
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

To the eternity, and beyond!

I'm just not good enough...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 11, 2001, 12:26   #16
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
Since even Sid can't beat it on Deity yet, I expect only the very arrogant to vote for anything less than a few months.
Sorry, but usually a game designer is not the best player of its own game: he/she knows all AI cheats and can workaround them, but they can't find any weak point, because he/she is biased

AFAIK all the best players come from fan community, never from developer team.

Also, the amount of time needed depends from many points, mainly:
1) how many hours you really spend playing (some have little free time for gaming)
2) if you play to enjoy the game, and stumble in weak point just playing with care, or you play just for spoiling the game (e.g. restarting many times to try every alternative and see what works the best).
3) if you play with an eye on Internet community, to apply new tactics in a "parallel" effort.

So, I'll prefer a poll about "how long will it take to constantly win any game in Civ 3, regardless of game level, and so stop having fun playing it?
BTW If someone enjoy winning by cheat, it's his/her way of life... just don't bully over others players
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old October 11, 2001, 12:42   #17
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Good poll!

I gave the Ai the benefit of the doubt, and opted for 6 months.

To the childish kids/cheaters who opted for 'one day' I say:
Old October 11, 2001, 13:01   #18
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:30
hehe, i voted 1 year... although in CIV2 i reached until Prince level.
Now im playing a CIV1 game at Prince, and with my chariot horde i conquered the world!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!