Old October 15, 2001, 15:44   #61
SITS
King

Local Time: 14:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: I agree
Quote:
Originally posted by cassembler
Yeah, I'm a 100% Splayer, but I feel the pain of the MPlayers... Think about it this way, what if the announcement was reversed, MP but no SP? I WOULD BE FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!

I hope for Firaxis' sake that they respond slickly and with dignity in their decision. I pointed out on another thread that it's probably not Joe Bob@Firaxis' call, it was probably an executive sales level decision.
Careful cassembler! You will be lynched by your fellow SPers!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 15, 2001, 16:15   #62
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:31
Why do so many people not care about mp in Civ III? For me personally after I figure out how to beat the computer the game gets really boring for me, so I play mp, which is much gives me more of a chanlge then the stupid computer player ever could. Human players can change their style of play, computers cannot. They make the same mistakes every time. Most often the only why the devs can make the computer player harder is by cheating. This is why I want mp in Civ III.

I also don't like how Firaxis is making people buy a game in pieces. At first from what I read I was given the impression that mp was going to be in Civ III. The way I found out that it would not be in Civ III was not an official post form Firaxis but form an professor of a class who wanted to use Civ III in their class. The professor wanted to use the game to see if the players could tell who was human and who was a computer player. The professor posted the email that she received form Firaxis saying mp would not be released until the spring of 2002. This really makes me mad. I don't think that you people who only like sp really understand what Firaxis is doing. All games I know of that have mp in them where released with the mp, and not the way Firaxis has done it, sp first then mp latter(which you probably have to pay 20 more dollars for).
Old October 15, 2001, 16:54   #63
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:31
No matter how good civ3 is, I'm not paying 40 bucks for it. Less than $20 I'll consider. I already have enough games to play right now, like Star Craft+ Brood War, C&C + Red Alert + expansions, Age of Empire I & II + expansions, Panzer generals + Pacific generals, Diablo I & II + expansions, etc. I haven't even played SMAC and CTP yet -- they are all in their original boxes now. So $20 is my offer, I won't pay more. Just wait for several months and see if I can get it for that price.
Old October 15, 2001, 18:46   #64
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Xin Yu
No matter how good civ3 is, I'm not paying 40 bucks for it. Less than $20 I'll consider. I already have enough games to play right now, like Star Craft+ Brood War, C&C + Red Alert + expansions, Age of Empire I & II + expansions, Panzer generals + Pacific generals, Diablo I & II + expansions, etc.
Could you be any more OT? I fail to see the point you are making, except maybe showing how little you are excited about CivIII.

Quote:
I haven't even played SMAC and CTP yet -- they are all in their original boxes now.
One word: deprivation.

Quote:
So $20 is my offer, I won't pay more. Just wait for several months and see if I can get it for that price.
CivIII will be the greatest TBS ever! I think you may have to wait longer than a 'few' months to get it at dirt cheap prices. Hell, even Black & White is still $50 at most retailers by me!

btw..... OT!
Old October 15, 2001, 18:52   #65
BLackraven42
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:31
Re: FIRAXIS... Time for Damage Control on the MP Issue!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
This message is for Firaxis:

There is some major dissent going on in these forums and I think your organization really needs to pay attention to what people are saying here and come up with a good response.

The key gripe that customers have is that you did indicate that this game would be multiplayer, and retailers did start taking pre-orders before you anounced that it wouldn't be in there. So, in a way, those customers that pre-ordered this game for the multiplayer portion of it are being treated unfairly. For those that want MP and bought the pre-release video are really screwed because they can't take that back.

More importantly, I believe you have insulted many fans (myself included) by the method in which your communications department allowed the news about MP to be released. Not only did you willful witheld that information, but you allowed the news to trickle out in a few lines of an interview, without any real explanation of what were the problems with implementing it now, or any direction of where you plan on taking MP.

These people are so devoted to your game and many are very loyal to your company. They deserve to be treated with a little more respect than what has been demonstrated in your most recent actions.

If anything, your company needs to develop better strategies to notify your most supportive fans of news that is obviously going to be dissappointing. Your communications department needs to think more stragically and develop better forcasting skills to understand the impact their methods of communicating with the public has on Firaxis' reputation.

This is a problem that has been ongoing with your company for quite some time because I remember back when I was the Web Master for Beyond Alpha Centauri (now the Apolyton SMAC site), communication between me and your company was a real issue. It was the reason why I decided to distance myself from the volunteer work of promoting and supporting your products.

So, please demonstrate to your fans here that you do appreciate them and put the MP issue to rest. Also, make a serious effort to improve your communication policies and how information is delivered to your consumers.

Thank you!

How many people do you know that order Civ games for the MP??
These games were made for the single player!
Old October 15, 2001, 18:54   #66
BLackraven42
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Xin Yu
No matter how good civ3 is, I'm not paying 40 bucks for it. Less than $20 I'll consider. I already have enough games to play right now, like Star Craft+ Brood War, C&C + Red Alert + expansions, Age of Empire I & II + expansions, Panzer generals + Pacific generals, Diablo I & II + expansions, etc. I haven't even played SMAC and CTP yet -- they are all in their original boxes now. So $20 is my offer, I won't pay more. Just wait for several months and see if I can get it for that price.
You'll never find Civ3 for less than thirty.
BTW: How can you play all those RTS and RPG games over Civ games. You've got to be crazy.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:48   #67
Mikael
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:31
OK, I mostly play the single player game, but I was hoping to try MP soon, because it sounds so much more fun, exciting, and challenging. Really when you think about it the only point of playing the AI is that it goes faster than sending emails. Otherwise, multiplayer has got so much more to it. Interacting with humans vs. interacting with an AI programmed to do certain things? Blah. Not even comparable.

Anyway, Firaxis' silence right now tells one of two things:

-they are too embarrassed to say anything(unlikely)

-they don't give a sh*t what we think(likely).

Personally, I'm very disappointed with that kind of attitude when it comes to customer support. If any of you out there are WW2 wargamers, you probably know Big Time Software. Now there's a company that recognizes the importance of an online community, and that knows what it takes to become popular.

Anybody here remembers Talonsoft with their 5 or 6 versions of TOAW? Hilarious! I doubt Firaxis can beat that, even with all their will!
Old October 15, 2001, 21:17   #68
Christantine The Great
Prince

I'm just sure that Infogrames just told Firaxis "Oh, take all the time you want and put whatever you want in the game. Release date? We don't care one bit when you decide it's ready. Put it out in July for all we care. Have a FANTASTIC day! "