Old October 11, 2001, 18:07   #1
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No Preview info until Oct 22nd
According to Bob Mayer over at cgonline.com, Infogrames is telling those who receive preview copies of Civ3 that they are not to post anything online regarding the game until October 22nd. Don't know why that is the magic date, but it looks like we'll be without any more info until then (unless there are "exclusive" deals with some websites - oh, and excepting the official site of course). I'm sure some guy with a degree in marketing thinks this is the way to go.

The thread:
http://www.cdmag.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14...7@.ee6fcd6/545

edit: fixed link.

Last edited by Stuie; October 11, 2001 at 18:13.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:12   #2
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:32
Hmmm... the link you gave seems to have an error when I try to access it....
Old October 11, 2001, 18:13   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:32
me thinks it's a good time to note that all the previews so far have been based on demos, presentations, etc

"real" reviews will be based on the gold version.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:15   #4
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
me thinks it's a good time to note that all the previews so far have been based on demos, presentations, etc

Understood - I'm just saying we have to wait until October 22 for even a quick take on the gold version... or screenshots... or any sort of detailed information... even though the gaming press already have their copies.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:21   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
Conspiracy theory: They want lots of pre-orders to be uninterrupable by the time the poor reviews circulate.

Conspiracy theory 2: The first weeks reviews are bound to be rave ones since no-one dares be the first to slate a commercial blockbuster. Only once people have really played the game a lot will less excited commentaries filter out like for CtP2 or Titanic.

More sensible reason: A flood of reviews and the real screenshots in the week before it hits the shelves will maximise pre-release excitement and first month sales.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:25   #6
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:32
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG

When will we get those?
Old October 11, 2001, 18:32   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
When will we get those?
Didn't you read what Stuie had to say. I mean the whole point of the thread was to state that we won't be seeing reviews of the game until Oct 22.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:51   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

no previews until 22
Well, I guess this pretty much rules out an early release before the 30th.
Old October 11, 2001, 18:56   #9
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Firaxis must really have to be hiring squads of US Army personnel (hopefully ones interested only in FPS) to keep the swarms at bay while the golden discs are being churned out within.
Old October 11, 2001, 19:03   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:32
I don't think the US Army will be needed only the US Judicial system. Firaxis must have made a stipulation with these companies that no reviews of the game are allowed until Oct 22. The game company could physically make a review of the game before Oct 22, but they would likely be taking a trip down to a court shortly afterwards.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 11, 2001, 21:24   #11
Stuie
King

What makes the gaming press cooperate is the relationship with the company in question - if they jump the gun on a Civ3 review prior to the Oct 22 date, then Infogrames won't be sending them any more pre-release copies of any of their games. Other companies would probably take notice as well, and be hesitant to deal with the offending publication.

Anyway, at least we should see a lot to whet our appetites come the 22nd. That's only 11 days away!
Old October 11, 2001, 21:27   #12
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 16:32
Quote:
That's only 11 days away!
Yep, thus no big deal really.
Old October 11, 2001, 21:57   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

That was a joke. Though I must admit taht there probably are people whoa re that desperate for a copy of Civ3. Thank goodness I haven't sunken that low yet.......
Old October 11, 2001, 22:32   #14
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

...yet....
Old October 12, 2001, 02:53   #15
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:32
They're getting there ducks in a row for a blitz. Its going to be a long 10 days
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 12, 2001, 06:25   #16
old dog
Chieftain

I'm sure that they would like a blitz of free information in the week before actual release.

However, there's another bit of wisdom in Firaxis's move. It means that rather than a race to get out the earliest reviews, reviewers will take many days to play the game, thus finding more depth to the changes made to the game. And I suspect that it will take some hours of gameplay to see the implications of some of the changes.

I'm thinking that Firaxis knows that the worst thing that can happen is for a lot of rushed reviewers to focus on the new graphics,the Civ tradition, and a list of trivial sounding tweaks. They want discussions of the new, improved gameplay.
Old October 12, 2001, 06:33   #17
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
Quote:
Originally posted by old dog
However, there's another bit of wisdom in Firaxis's move. It means that rather than a race to get out the earliest reviews, reviewers will take many days to play the game, thus finding more depth to the changes made to the game. And I suspect that it will take some hours of gameplay to see the implications of some of the changes.
Reviewers have jobs. Just because they can't publish it will not mean that the time they have to devote to writing the review is longer. It might allow some to play a bit more in their spare time, but most will do so after the review is done and dusted and they're working on the next one.