Old October 12, 2001, 14:02   #31
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 06:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
At one point you could; however I think in the final release it was changed so that once an army has left the city in which it was created, you could no longer swap units in and out. I think the point of this was to prevent the use of armies as transport units that you could continue to utilize throughout the course of the game. This also means you have to think pretty carefully about what you want to accomplish with your army (and for that matter, your Great Leader -- do you really want to make an army, or would you be better served by rushing a wonder?)
I wonder if it might also sometimes be wise to hold off loading an army until you have better units. After all, an army of 4 calvary is far more powerful than an army of 4 horsemen. I guess it depends on how often you expect to be able to get new leaders and how long it will take you to develop the necessary technologies (and secure the needed strategic resources). Perhaps this would only make sense if you were on the verge of discovering a new unit-enabling technology...
Old October 12, 2001, 14:56   #32
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:32
I'll probably be so conservative with my great leaders that at the end of the game there will be a few of them sitting around in my capital playing darts and having a whiskey.

Antony: "Do you think we should form an army."
Trajan: "Yes, but Caesar is waiting for that really special unit before he uses us...."
Aurelius: "or he may decide to have one of us finish building that Manhattan thing."
Antony: "Right then. Next round is on me. Another game of darts?"
Old October 12, 2001, 16:08   #33
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:32
So basically most combat is going to be one unit at a time as in SMAC? Ouch. Or else loading units that will rapidly become obsolete into a valuable and rarely formed army? Eek. Could be armies will be something I only use in the end game.

When I first heard Great Leaders could be used to rush wonders I thought, "how stupid is that?" Thanks for explaining why it may be the more attractive option Dan.

David
Old October 12, 2001, 16:31   #34
Ralf
King

Local Time: 15:32
I understand that creating armies is the only way to have 3-4 combat-units fighting together as one.

But what about just moving a stack of units, without having them fight as an army? Is it possible to create and move a stack of units anytime, for pure move-micromanage reducing reasons?
Old October 12, 2001, 16:37   #35
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
I understand that creating armies is the only way to have 3-4 combat-units fighting together as one.

But what about just moving a stack of units, without having them fight as an army? Is it possible to create and move a stack of units anytime, for pure move-micromanage reducing reasons?
If you attack a group of units on the same tile (not armies) will
all units be destroyed (as in Civ2)?
I hope not!
That was so annoying!
Old October 12, 2001, 16:39   #36
player1
Emperor

Is a one per 4 cities a limit for great leadrers or armies?
Old October 12, 2001, 16:42   #37
player1
Emperor

What's the cost of making army with War Academy?
Is it expensive?
I hope so or else it won't be practical to sacrifice leaders for making an army.
Old October 12, 2001, 16:48   #38
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

No. You can load units into a transport, but otherwise there is no functionality for moving multiple units in a stack, at least none that I know of.

Dan
Old October 12, 2001, 17:22   #39
bigfree1

As far as rushing Wonders.....
Dan:

What 'exact' effect does your Great Leader have on rushing your Wonder? Does it add a certain number of shields to the total or does it reduce the cost to build or does it sped up production in that city, by say something like 50%?

Old October 12, 2001, 17:37   #40
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 06:32
Quote:
Originally posted by player1
If you attack a group of units on the same tile (not armies) will
all units be destroyed (as in Civ2)?
I hope not!
That was so annoying!
I don't remember how it worked in Civ2, but in SMAC, there was collateral damage to the other units on the same tile, but they would not be destroyed unless they were already in the red...
Old October 12, 2001, 17:48   #41
Cre8engr
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
THIS IS HOW I SEE IT. multiplayer.

if you have 1 legions (3-2-1) and 2 chariots (1-1-2) and your army attacks a city, the Legion, having the strongest attack, goes in and fights. multiplayer.

when he is exausted (hp in the "red zone") he steps down, DOESN'T DIE, and lets one of the chariots come up to fight. multiplayer.

the process is repeated until you win, or all your units are in red and die. multiplayer.

multiplayer.
Are [single player rules] you [single player rules] trying [single player rules] to [single player rules] insert [single player rules] sublimital [single player rules] messages [single player rules] Jingo?
Old October 12, 2001, 17:59   #42
Cre8engr
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I'll probably be so conservative with my great leaders that at the end of the game there will be a few of them sitting around in my capital playing darts and having a whiskey.

Antony: "Do you think we should form an army."
Trajan: "Yes, but Caesar is waiting for that really special unit before he uses us...."
Aurelius: "or he may decide to have one of us finish building that Manhattan thing."
Antony: "Right then. Next round is on me. Another game of darts?"

Trajan: "Have you heard what Hagan is up too?"
Aurelius: "I think he's perfecting his homebrew."
Old October 12, 2001, 18:01   #43
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 14:32
Quote:

No. You can load units into a transport, but otherwise there is no functionality for moving multiple units in a stack, at least none that I know of.

Dan
Oh no. This is disastrous. I am devastated. So you mean if you have a lot of individual units in the endgame, you're going to have to move them overland ONE BY ONE in the same old tedious way as Civ2??

This is the one thing I had simply taken for granted was going to be put right in Civ3. I almost can't believe what I've just read with my own eyes. Please tell me Dan didn't say that...

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old October 12, 2001, 18:16   #44
TechWins
King

Quote:
Oh no. This is disastrous. I am devastated. So you mean if you have a lot of individual units in the endgame, you're going to have to move them overland ONE BY ONE in the same old tedious way as Civ2??
I hope Dan just misunderstood the question or he isn't exactly sure and doesn't want to give a false answer of yes.

Maybe it is not neccasary for using stacked units because the 'go to' is fabulous. Actually I'm quite curious on how efficient the 'go to' commad? I'm referring to the 'go to' command of having your unit on a tile then clicking for it to go ten tiles away (example). Not the 'go to' command in the orders menu. One of the main reasons why civ2 became less fun as I played more is because of my continuously increasing frustration with the 'go to' command. So Dan, how well does the 'go to' command work? Please be honest with me because I'm going to buy the game either way, bad 'go to' or not, so a honest answer would be nice.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 12, 2001, 18:58   #45
Ilkuul
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
One of the main reasons why civ2 became less fun as I played more is because of my continuously increasing frustration with the 'go to' command. So Dan, how well does the 'go to' command work?
OK, it would be good to know whether "go to" really works. But you would still have to click on each individual unit and tell it to go to the same place as the previous one, for goodness sake!

PLEEEEEZE, Firaxis, put this right in the very first patch!!

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old October 12, 2001, 19:14   #46
TechWins
King

Quote:
But you would still have to click on each individual unit and tell it to go to the same place as the previous one, for goodness sake!
Yeah but it's better than nothing. For some reason, not that I don't trust the credibility of Dan's comments, I feel that he may be mistaken on the stacking of units.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 12, 2001, 21:38   #47
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 08:32
Are you still limited to 1 army per 4 cities when trading for armies. Hopely so, cause I don't want it to be to easy to stack up on armies.
Old October 17, 2001, 19:36   #48
Stuie
King

Quote:
Hmmm.. I smell a "Screenshot of the Week" somewhere...

Dan
It's almost Friday, Dan.
Old October 17, 2001, 20:24   #49
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
WHAT? No stacking units and moving them as one?? Unbelievable!!!! Aren't "stacks" and "units" meant to be different things??

Not happy!
Old October 17, 2001, 20:31   #50
sekong
Warlord

How fast?
generally, when do you get your 1st GL, and army? Any Firaxian can answer this question? I'm running a poll for Special Units Great leader, really want someone played the game to answer my question. Thanks.
Old October 17, 2001, 21:48   #51
Akillias
Chieftain

ahh we cant stack units like in civ2??
Old October 17, 2001, 22:20   #52
Mars
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Akillias
ahh we cant stack units like in civ2??
since when could you stack units in civ2
Old October 18, 2001, 00:35   #53
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Alpha Centauri had auto-forwarding and stack movement features. They didn't work perfectly, and could be useful some of the time, but I always just manually move my units.
Old October 18, 2001, 13:43   #54
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I wonder if Civ3 armies will work at all like CtP2 armies. For example, if I were the Russians in the industrial era, is it a good idea to make an army of 4 have 2 Cossacks and 2 Cannons. In CtP2 this provided you with ranged attack in the battle to support your melee attack. Or would it be a better idea to just have 4 Cossacks since Cannons have no standard attack value (just bombardment)?

Does anybody know?
Old October 18, 2001, 14:16   #55
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

It's almost Friday, Dan.

That's when the site update takes place, Stuie.

Dan
Old October 18, 2001, 14:36   #56
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha of FIRAXIS:
That's when the site update takes place, Stuie.
Well... I guess I can stop checking the CIV3 site every 10 minutes.

...pathetic... ya... I know.
Old October 18, 2001, 14:44   #57
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
I wonder if Civ3 armies will work at all like CtP2 armies. For example, if I were the Russians in the industrial era, is it a good idea to make an army of 4 have 2 Cossacks and 2 Cannons. In CtP2 this provided you with ranged attack in the battle to support your melee attack. Or would it be a better idea to just have 4 Cossacks since Cannons have no standard attack value (just bombardment)?

Does anybody know?
Well? Dan Magaha, did you read all the way to my post or did you just stop at Stuie's?
Old October 18, 2001, 15:11   #58
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Remember though, with new systems for most aspects of the game you may well find you don't have anywhere near the same number of units as you used to.