Old October 11, 2001, 22:30   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Chiron Chronicle: Discussions (4)
Mr. President- I am not quite sure what is going on with the morganites, are your plans to:

1. Morgan: Stay in spotlight and mediate dispute
or fight and help the spartans

?????

Sorry, that I do not truly understand...

-----
Okay, In a few days I suppose we will announce the victor of the election- this is dragging on longer than I thought it would.

LMP- I'll look for your calculations and repost them here.
Thanks
Old October 12, 2001, 03:09   #2
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:32
Hey there...

Just a quick note so say I might not be posting for a day or two.
If Alynzia or anyone else wants to, I can be reached at v.hagen@earthling.net.

I know I may have seemed kind of pissed off yesterday, but in spite of what it probably looked like, I haven't actually passed judgement on anybody yet. I also agree that the message we saw yesterday didn't look like Alynzia's writing. I don't know though. I guess this whole thing doesn't really concern me, but I'm willing to discuss it anyway. -If someone wants to discuss it with me, that is...

I'll try to act like a Peacekeeper...
(although what that is might seem somewhat unclear at the moment... )

Have a nice day!
Old October 12, 2001, 14:30   #3
[LordLMP]

Okay, i back... took me a few days to remember my password :P So many things going on which i want to reply, but couldn't...

Now i can, but will be able to do that much this weekend or monday... i don't have net connection at home at the moment as i am waiting to get high speed soon. So will be away from the net this weekend... aswell as monday.

Alyzia, if you are reading this... i am not sure if you wrote that email which Sprayber received, but You are Welcome to join and no one is stopping you to do so. You have chosen the Cyborgs, which SMAC Fanatic give it up to you... I do want to stay and play the cyborgs. And don't worry about getting in trouble for what you may or may not said in the email... Hey, i have one time or the other made of fool of myself by writing emails/messages and chatting in anger... I am a defensive person and usually only do those kind of things when i already was having a bad day Lately, i haven't being doing and playing Neutral as i wish to be. No trouble will happen and as a Moderator of Chiron Chronicles, there won't be any... So do come back Alyzia.

SMAC Fanatic, i would like you to stay aswell... I think the Gaians are needed at the Council, eespecially with all of this mindworm discussions... also need the Gaians votes

Bearcat, we need you back too need the free drones vote and still have this possible three way alliance between the angels, drones and pirates.

Now, I will do how much as i can in the Planetary Council and ignore some errors too... as i may speed write it without a chance of editing... ain't my computer

-LMP

PS:

can write me either at melanie_ottawa@hotmail.com or lordlmp@hotmail.com
Old October 12, 2001, 23:59   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OK Guardian, I'll level with you. I'm not exactly sure what Morgan is going to do. I know I've made it seem like he's trying to pick a fight with Svensgaard and everyone else. I don't think I'm capable of fighting a real war, though.

And as long as I'm here, I thought I might share something I heard about hybrid aircraft. I heard that the US Marines are now using a plane called the Osprey which has large propellors on its wings which can shift into a vertical position so it can fly like a helicopter. They think that the future of combat aircraft is in rotary propulsion.

How is this related to the Chronicle? It's not, not directly anyway. But when we get back to the military end of the stick, the general idea might be worth thinking about. Since our version of Chiron seems to be so huge, you might have to hybridize aircraft, particularly helicopters, just to cover the enormous distances.
Old October 13, 2001, 00:51   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Hey guys. I'm of to my guard drill for the weekend. Don't get too carried away with the story while I'm gone. Unless you want to form some kind of anti-Pirate coalition or something.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2001, 04:53   #6
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
OK Guardian, I'll level with you. (...)
Okay, but I wasn't the one who asked...
Still nice to know though.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
The University agrees with the peackeepers on this issue. Fungus is an impedement to the economic development of Chiron and no more of it must grow (...)
. . . ? ? ! ?

Looks like DarkCloud and President both mistake each other for me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I heard that the US Marines are now using a plane called the Osprey which has large propellors on its wings which can shift into a vertical position so it can fly like a helicopter. They think that the future of combat aircraft is in rotary propulsion.
Actually, the Osprey has been around for a while. I first heard of it about 12 years ago, but it wasn't widely used at the time. More like it was a hot new thing they were trying out and which looked pretty good...

On a totally different subject, Kofi Annan got the Nobel Peace Price!
I couldn't think of a better candidate for this year's price, but maybe that's just me...
Apparently not, though, since he actually got it...
Old October 13, 2001, 05:10   #7
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Oh, and by the way... since my PK politics thing isn't posted yet, I thought I'd briefly mention a couple of points...

One is that in recent months, PK leaders & traders have been toying with the idea of trying to improve relations and increase trade with Morgan...

However, recent events seem to speak against this...

Also, there are those amongst the Peacekeepers who feel that the Planetary Council is the proper authority for handling many of the matters the PK government some times try to handle on their own... -that the Council is the U.N. on Chiron.

Actually, these people have their own party and are represented in PK government.
However, in light of recent developments, things don't look good for them... Poll ratings are going only down, down, down, and there is an election coming up later this year...
Old October 13, 2001, 16:32   #8
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:32
Mr President: About the Osprey. I have heard that the prototypes have not been so successful. Maybe the idea could be recovered on Chiron. But then again, there is the risk of losing the AC-ness.

Quote:
I couldn't think of a better candidate for this year's price
Martti Ahtisaari would be a good one, but maybe in the future, as said by Harri Holkeri, chairman of the last UN general assembly and the Finnish prime minister in late 1980's.
Ahtisaari assisted the Namibian problems in the last decade, and was an important character in the Kosovo negotiatons, correct if I'm wrong. And of course the president of Finland from 1994 to 2000.
Old October 14, 2001, 01:17   #9
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

No need to correct... you're right. And he would be a good one.

As for the Osprey, the idea is to combine the advantages of fixed wing aircraft (speed, range and cargo capacity) with the advantages of the helicopter (extremely maneuverable, doesn't need an airfield to land). It's true that they've had some problems with the prototypes, but they've made several adjustments already and the aircraft is being adopted for active service, so I guess they must have gotten some things right...

Last edited by Guardian; October 14, 2001 at 07:36.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2001, 03:33   #10
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

They should hand out several peace prizes a year, there are so many good candidates
What I would really like to see is a Finnish Chief Secretary in somewhere in the 2010 - 2020's when the Asian (and American?) Chief Secretaries are retired. But, they did bend rules already by electing the third consecutive African Chief Secretary, but the Asians had no decent candidate to offer. Just Alberto Fujimori, Imelda Marcos and Kim Jong-Il

Once again, about the Osprey... Looks like then that the 60 minutes report I saw was a bit old.
Old October 14, 2001, 22:51   #11
Sprayber
Emperor

This election is beginning to resemble another highly contested election in real life.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 15, 2001, 02:36   #12
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
OOC: By the UN charter, changing your own votes is illegal (...)
Well, I didn't know the Charter even mentioned the voting at all, but okay, if you say so...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
[OOC: IIRC I wrote that the choppers with the evidence had already landed shortley after the jets did. They did leave the scene before the Pks got into the area. But oh well, I suppose there is no point in going back to it now. I had to edit my Spartan Captain's name because his name must have been considered obscene. ]
Well, it seems we all had our own idea of what was going on out there and we had some trouble tying it all together into one story because none of our ideas actually matched each other... These things happen at times...
Old October 15, 2001, 09:25   #13
Sprayber
Emperor

Guardian: oh yeah, I'm not making a big deal about it. I was reminded yesterday that life is too short to be fussy about small things like that. It's hard to write specific things with other people when their isn't coordination. Remember the story around Data Acqisition? But it's fun, especially when you have five writers doing it.

Kass: I thought your line about giving the devil your finger and he takes your whole hand was outstanding. It so fit the situation.
Old October 15, 2001, 09:37   #14
Sprayber
Emperor

One more thing Guardian: You should write us out the UN charter so we won't be quoting it out of contex. I'm sure you have loads of extra time. I thought about mentioning the Charter in my rant on their changing their vote. I'll have to look up weither Congressman can change their vote or not. It doesn't seem right. But I think that each chamber may have different rules on that.

I would also like to weight in on the Osprey. It's a good idea that needs some refinement. A few Marine officiers have been removed from their commands and faced court martial for falsifing performance reports. Several Marines have died in test fligts of the Osprey. What I see for CC in this is something along the lines of what they had in Alien 2. Remember the drop ships that they used to go from their ship in orbit to the planet. Or a larger version of what you saw in Battlefield Earth. I see the choppers as being a cross between a chopper and planes. I have to remind myself that distances are much greater on Chiron than it would be on earth.
Old October 15, 2001, 10:13   #15
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Let's see... I could write up a U.N. Charter for us to use, but it would probably take a few years and that is if I didn't post anything else in the meantime...
I can try to write a brief description/summary kind of thing though, but even that will have to go on my "might get done some time within the next couple of months" list. We'll see...

About the Congress... I really don't know about this. It's just something I heard about once. They vote electronically by pressing buttons, so it's not like they're actually standing up and saying "I vote for this... no! I vote that!", etc. Anyway, like I said, I really don't know.

...and you're right about the Osprey.
(Guess I could have been clearer about this earlier... )
Old October 15, 2001, 14:06   #16
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Well, considering the person speaking, it was the aforism to use.
Now I think my bloated ego will now need some inflating

Finnish Eduskunta uses one press - one vote system. You press the button, and the vote goes to the big shiny board on the wall. No changing...

Quote:
A few Marine officiers have been removed from their commands and faced court martial for falsifing performance reports. Several Marines have died in test fligts of the Osprey.
So Dan Rather did have a clue after all.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:02   #17
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I see the choppers as being a cross between a chopper and planes. I have to remind myself that distances are much greater on Chiron than it would be on earth.
That's exactly what I was thinking, sir. I'm rather uneasy about the gigantic size of this planet. Is one square 250 by 250 kilometers? I remember this was mentioned in the Rules a while ago, but I can't quite recall the numbers.
Old October 15, 2001, 23:48   #18
Argonaut
Prince

Just regarding the vote. If we don't get the votes from the three missing players, can the moderators fill them in rather than abstaining? It kind of sucks cause, the Free Drones (where is Bearcat when I need him???) agreed to vote for me, and the Gaians and Cyborgs stand a chance of voting for me as well.

Oh, and DarkCloud. Your article in the main forum said that the Peacekeepers voted for me. They did not, they abstained. But you forgot to count my own vote for myself

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2001, 01:31   #19
Sprayber
Emperor

Is this the official voting scale?
Quote:
Originally posted by [LordLMP]
Okay, here is the total amount of votes for each faction, including bonuses of SPs, landmarks, etc....

University of Planet
Pop: 3 votes
Human Genome Project: 1 vote
Planetary Datalinks: 1vote
Manifold Nexus: 1 vote
Total of 6 votes

Cybernetic Consciousness
Pop: 2 votes
Hunter-Seeker Algorithm: 1 vote
Garland Crater: 1 vote
Total of 4 votes

Morgan Industries
Merchant Exchange: 1 vote
Planetary Energy Grid: 1 vote
Uranium Flats: 1 vote
Total of 6 votes

Data Angels
Virtual World: 1 vote
Citizen's Defence Force: 1 vote
Hunter-Seeker Algorithm: 1 vote
New Sargasso: 1 vote
Total of 7 votes

Gaian Stepdaughters
Pop: 2 votes
Weather Paradigm: 1 vote
Empath Guild: 2 votes
Pholus Mutagen: 1 vote
Xenoempathy Dome: 1 vote
The Ruins: 1 vote
Total of 8 votes

Cult of Planet
Pop: 1 vote
Xenoempathy Dome: 1 vote
Pholus Ridge: 1 vote
Total of 3 votes:

Lord's Believers
Pop: 5 votes
Planetary Transit System: 1 vote
Fresh Water Sea: 1 vote
Total of 7 votes

Human Hive
Ascetic Values: 1 vote
Monsoon Jungle: 1 vote
Total of 7 votes

Free Drones
Pop: 4 votes
Cloudbase Academy: 1 vote
Borehole Cluster: 1 vote
Total of 6 votes

Spartan Federation
Weather Paradigm: 1 vote
Command Nexus: 1 vote
Sunny Mesa: 1 vote
Upland Wastes: 1 vote
Total of 8 votes

U.N. Peacekeepers
Lal's Bonus: 2 votes
Merchant Exchange: 1 vote
Citizen's Defence Force: 1 vote
Dunes: 1 vote
Total of 10 votes

Nautilus Pirates
Marinetime Control Center: 1 vote
Geothermal Shallows: 1 vote
Fossil Field Ridge: 1 vote
Chiron Rift: 1 vote
Total of 8 votes
Old October 16, 2001, 01:40   #20
Sprayber
Emperor

If those are the official number of votes each faction has. Then those disputed Florida votes, ooppps I mean Cult votes, might mean the difference...
Old October 16, 2001, 13:14   #21
Clear Skies
Prince

Well, I don't actually know which faction(s) I currently have control of, but apparently Alynzia in her wisdom left me with the Gaians (due to something about me being an eco-daft whiner????)

Anyway, whichever of the factions (Gaians or Cyborgs) are currently under control, they vote Roze. (I think the Cyborgs will anyway - they'd never vote for Santiago as she's a warmongerer, and they've been good friends with Roze all along). The Cyborgs also have a Citizens' Defence Force which everyone seems to be forgetting about, by the way.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2001, 18:03   #22
Kassiopeia
Emperor

What I have calculated the votes (if we go with LordLMP's 'most likely' -rule, necessary at this time or course) and it appears that with a spread of 3 votes Roze wins. Cha Dawn's votes were not counted in, but because he probably won't vote for Santiago, it is irrelevant to whom their vote goes to.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; October 16, 2001 at 18:27.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2001, 19:18   #23
Natan
Prince

I'm not sure if landmarks should count for votes. But if the game master decrees it . . .
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2001, 19:22   #24
Kassiopeia
Emperor

The Landmark thing brings all factions +1 vote except the Spartans and Pirates, who get +2.
Does not sound so bad.
*hurries off to do some extra calculus*
Old October 16, 2001, 21:22   #25
Argonaut
Prince

Okay, I just checked with a calculator, and I came up with this (assuming other's vote for Roze, as seems probable):
Santiago - 34
Roze - 33

Now, that doesn't include the Cyborg's having a Citizen's Defence Force which puts it neck and neck at 34.....

Sounds like we have a political crisis. Minority government anyone?

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2001, 22:56   #26
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Argonaut
Just regarding the vote. If we don't get the votes from the three missing players, can the moderators fill them in rather than abstaining? It kind of sucks cause, the Free Drones (where is Bearcat when I need him???) agreed to vote for me, and the Gaians and Cyborgs stand a chance of voting for me as well.

Oh, and DarkCloud. Your article in the main forum said that the Peacekeepers voted for me. They did not, they abstained. But you forgot to count my own vote for myself
Oops... And thank you LMP for listing the votes I couldn't find that- where was it?

Yes, Landmarks count for votes... Thus, we have a tie? How did that happen

PK's abstain
Cult abstains

... Perhaps we must allow the cult to vote... but not without a fight!
Old October 17, 2001, 00:29   #27
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:

Oops... And thank you LMP for listing the votes I couldn't find that- where was it?

Yes, Landmarks count for votes... Thus, we have a tie? How did that happen

PK's abstain
Cult abstains

... Perhaps we must allow the cult to vote... but not without a fight!
I simply went through the old discussion thread, page by page to find it. I figured everyone should know just how close the elections was. As far as Sparta is concerned the cult did vote and they have to wait for the next elections to vote again. That goes for the PK's as well.

Santiago will have a deal to make when a tie is declared. She will of course consult her allies.
Old October 17, 2001, 01:39   #28
Sprayber
Emperor

Two more things though.

1. Shouldn't the Hive have +1 vote for the Planetneck?

2. Natan: Santiago has responded..

Old October 17, 2001, 02:28   #29
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic
Well, I don't actually know which faction(s) I currently have control of, but apparently Alynzia in her wisdom left me with the Gaians (due to something about me being an eco-daft whiner????)
Actually, she wanted you to play the Gaians because you yourself said you'd rather play the Gaians... Something about always getting into arguments when playing Cyborgs...

You said you'd just fill in for the Cyborgs until somone else came along wanting to play them. That is why she picked the Cyborgs. She was actually quite specific about all of this when she first asked to play the Cyborgs, just like you were quite specific about not wanting to take a faction until you'd talked to her about it.

Seems to me the two of you could benefit from hearing each other out before you jump to conclusions and start bashing on each other...
Old October 17, 2001, 02:46   #30
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:

1. Shouldn't the Hive have +1 vote for the Planetneck?
In that case, so should the Peacekeepers...

Oh, and of course, if the Cult is allowed to change their minds and vote for Roze, the Peacekeepers will argue that they too should be allowed to change...

My, what a nice little mess!

Oh, and just for the record, with the way things look right now, the Peacekeepers would have voted for Roze if she hadn't burned all bridges and effectively told them to go to hell...