Old October 22, 2001, 03:33   #61
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by [LordLMP]

Does anyone know how many troops in a typical infantry Battalion in this world? I guess 100 to 500. I can see the Russians having a bigger Battalion unit then the United States :P
Well, I don't know how typical it is, but in the Norwegian army, a squad has 8 men, a platoon has about 4 squads, a company has about 4 platoons and a battallion has about 4 companies...

So, if all units are exactly at standard size, they'll look something like this...

Platoon: 4 squads of 8 men each = 32 men (+ a couple of sergeants & an officer - usually a lieutenant)
Company: 4 platoons of 32 men each = 128 men (the company commander is usually a captain)
Battallion: 4 companies of 128 = 512 men (usually commanded by a major)
Old October 22, 2001, 04:02   #62
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Argonaut
We never said we wouldn't oppose an atrocity. We're just not coming running with guns the next time Braddock shoots his mouth off and some army comes looking for him
Okay, that is a little different...

You might wish to explain this to the Peacekeepers though...

The impression they got is basically that Roze is going to sit back and let zillions die because she had a disagreement with Lal and that she's willing to sacrifice thousands of civilians to achieve her personal goals...
Old October 22, 2001, 05:57   #63
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 14:32
Quote:

Just to say, the Nautilus Pirates controls some Mines in the landmass west of Mount Planet, connected by a chokepoint. The story of that is simple, the nearby Pirate bases wnated to explore Mount Planet and so n started from the west. So they sent exploration teams, and during their exploration, they found some Unity Pods. One of them as been activated somehow as mining robots have started some mines. The exploration teams used some building resources from some other unity pods and started a mining operation, with the help of a former unit from Nessus Base. So the explorers started up a mining company and started selling their minerals via their sponsoring base. Svensgaard eventually discovered of the operation when he noticed a increase in mineral production at the bases there. Didn't give heck to anyone, just advise the people of the Company that they should of told the Government, so they could guerantee their safety. SO they establish a small Defence outpost along the Mining Outpost. So far, no factions have noticed. So one reason why Svensgaard would be against having SPartans at Mount Planet
Don't worry, the Consciousness isn't gonna give you away
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2001, 17:04   #64
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:32
The Mt. Planet area mishap was a total mess - on my behalf.
The Believers will however protest it... I'm sure Deacon can slam up something about regional threat and the like. Aki can try to colonize it, but it'll be a mess.
EDIT: But the Believers don't know of it yet, IIRC. They do have some patrols looking down there time to time to check on the area, so mayeb they could notice the colony pods landing and starting to build up etc.?
Old October 22, 2001, 20:08   #65
[LordLMP]

Ain't the Colony Pods landing at the small landmass connected to Mt Planet west of it? If so, a pretty long detour for the Believer scouts maybe the Believers got into the habbit odf strengthing troops and their faith by occasionally sending them to Mount Planet and back :P pretty long hike, especially up the mountain :P

Anyway, the Cyborgs may discover the Pirates, but they sure would wonder and why they didn't mention their assets there to the Chiron Alliance :P

As for the Spartans, they have a long way to go to get to Mount Planet by ship unless they are able to convince the Believers to allow some colony pods through their territory, which is still a long way. Colony Pods suppose to carry, what, 1000 to 10000 people? as for establising a supply route, it would be quite distant and via possibly hostile territory :P so the colonists would be almost colonize anew like back in the old days

-LMP
Old October 22, 2001, 21:34   #66
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Quote:
As for the Spartans, they have a long way to go to get to Mount Planet by ship unless they are able to convince the Believers to allow some colony pods through their territory, which is still a long way. Colony Pods suppose to carry, what, 1000 to 10000 people? as for establising a supply route, it would be quite distant and via possibly hostile territory :P so the colonists would be almost colonize anew like back in the old days

-LMP
That is one of the things the Spartans are best at. Anyway, who says the Spartans need to have a full base with civilaians to get in the way. The Spartans advised the Believers to set up in the area, but prepared for the possiblility that they wouldn't be able to right away.
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2001, 22:43   #67
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

...Nothing against an attempted colonization of Mount Planet.
The aliens can land on top of the Gaians

---
LMP-They are not all russians: Here are some names I have used:

-The Leader (HFO Don Darden) (MORGANITE)
-'Kommandant' Reya Hollis-Keyson (UNIVERSITY)
-'Kommandant' Julius Juliard-Johnson (MORGANITE)
-'Kommandant' Victor x (MORGANITE)
-'Kommandant' Celeste Delilah Anderson-Xanderson (born 2125) (UNIVERSITY)
-Isotope (UNIVERSITY)
-Sir Cloud (UNIVERSITY)
-Sir Pong (UNIVERSITY)
-Sir Tech (UNIVERSITY)
-Thunderbird (MORGANITE)
-Giant Roc (MORGANITE)
-Basil Isk (MORGANITE)
-The Commodore (MORGANITE)

Foreign Ambassador Ian Davidson-Splertovsky
Head/High Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Daniel Jakhobs-Howell

University Base City Manager Gregory George Gnu-Ghanst (born 2121)
Chief of Security William Louis-Durnham (born 2130)
Old October 23, 2001, 02:32   #68
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guardian

Platoon: 4 squads of 8 men each = 32 men (+ a couple of sergeants & an officer - usually a lieutenant)
Company: 4 platoons of 32 men each = 128 men (the company commander is usually a captain)
Battallion: 4 companies of 128 = 512 men (usually commanded by a major)
Of course, you could have platoons with only 2 or 3 squads, companies with 2 or 3 platoons and a battallion with 3 companies. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that 100 - 500 guys sounds about right. (Although 100 is a pretty small battallion...)

Anyway, I was thinking about the rover units...

How about using the same model here, just saying that a squad is the people associated with one specific rover? Thus, a platoon would have about 4 rovers, and what we call a unit in the game would be a company of say 12 - 16 rovers. Combine 3 or 4 of these and you'll have a battallion. Thus, a battallion could be anything from about 36 to about 64 rovers. Does this make sense?
Old October 23, 2001, 16:42   #69
[LordLMP]

Yes it does... but me personally rather call them Squadron of Rovers :P but oh well, depends on ones taste

So using those numbers, there is actually two Battle Dragon Batallions at the Ahen Outpost as there is 6 units... so if you include the Gatling Marines there, which is a Infantry Batallion, then there is a Regiment worth of troops there

Anyway, those numbers may vary faction by faction... but shouldn't be way off from the Average.

-LMP
Old October 24, 2001, 00:33   #70
Sprayber
Emperor

Everyone: Is there room for another poster? There is one over in the AC/general/Help wanting to know and I haven't seen him over here yet. I know Smac is doing double duty and I haven't seen our Drone operator in a while. I told him to come over and check us out.

Do I get something for recruitment.
Old October 24, 2001, 12:29   #71
Argonaut
Prince

Not the Governership, if that's what your thinking

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2001, 14:05   #72
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

No, nothing

However, yes, we could use another poster...

I PMed Bearcat and he didnt respond- and I believe LMP received an email from him- so I suppose the Free Drones and Cyborgs/OR Gaians (depending on SMAC Fanatic's choice) are free.
Old October 24, 2001, 15:35   #73
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Argonaut
Not the Governership, if that's what your thinking
well darn. i had to try.
Old October 24, 2001, 15:46   #74
[LordLMP]

[QUOTE] Originally posted by DarkCloud
...Nothing against an attempted colonization of Mount Planet.
The aliens can land on top of the Gaians

Yes, but rather that the aliens land at Isle of Deneira and Mount Planet. Its away from the main territories of all factions and it is fair to all players... so no one as to deal with aliens in the homefront... well, atleast not when they crash land.

-LMP
Old October 24, 2001, 15:48   #75
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Everyone: Is there room for another poster? There is one over in the AC/general/Help wanting to know and I haven't seen him over here yet. I know Smac is doing double duty and I haven't seen our Drone operator in a while. I told him to come over and check us out.

Do I get something for recruitment.

Yes, you get a pat on the back or if you like, a Planetbuster loaded cake

Bearcat won't be coming back, was able to reach him via ICQ.

-LMP
Old October 24, 2001, 16:36   #76
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, but rather that the aliens land at Isle of Deneira and Mount Planet. Its away from the main territories of all factions and it is fair to all players... so no one as to deal with aliens in the homefront... well, atleast not when they crash land.
Hmmm... but then the Believers will have to deal with them. We'll be having a watchful eye on the skies...

And the new poster - spotted him too - is welcome.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:08   #77
[LordLMP]

Yes, Mount Planet is connected to the continent where the Belivers reside. Yes, they may have to deal with them, but not in their Main territory thought. I was thinking to have the Caretakers land at Mt Planet, the most passive of the Aliens. Of course, the Believers would have to deal with another Planet lover on their continent,

So if factions colonize Mount Planet, those colonies would have to deal with the aliens.... said Nostradamus of Chiron.

-LMP
Old October 25, 2001, 15:58   #78
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
I was thinking to have the Caretakers land at Mt Planet
I concurr! I concurr! *sigh of relief*
That would be the Cult, Gaians and now Caretakers... I don't know what to say.

Btw, nice post Guardian. Where did you find the Declaration of Human Rights?

Last edited by Kassiopeia; October 25, 2001 at 16:05.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2001, 16:17   #79
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

UN web site... www.un.org

The place is a bit of a jungle and many of those documents in there are a bit of a pain to read, but there's lots of good stuff too!

Oh, and about that post, Apolyton sort of messed up the formatting a little, so I had to edit it a few times to get it to look right...

The original document can be found at www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
(-So you can check for yourself and see that the thing I posted is the real thing )
Old October 25, 2001, 16:40   #80
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
UN web site... www.un.org
Oh, how creative...

It's the real thing, and in Finnish too! Read and learn.

Quote:
Native Name
Suomi

Total Speakers
6,000,000 (1995)

Usage by Country

Official Language: Finland

Officially Recognized Language: the Karelia, Sweden and Norway

Background

There are approximately 5 million speakers of Finnish, one of the few languages of Europe not belonging to the Indo-European family. Like Estonian, spoken across the Gulf of Finland, it is one of the Finno-Ugric languages, which constitute the main branch of the Uralic family.

The Finnish alphabet contains only twenty-one letters. There are thirteen consonants and eight vowels. There is only one sound for every letter, one letter for every sound, and the stress is always on the first syllable. The language makes no distinction as to gender, and has no articles, either definite or indefinite.

Despite these simplifying factors, Finnish is undoubtedly an exceedingly difficult language to learn. The number of case forms for nouns is staggering: while German has four cases, Latin five, and Russian six, Finnish has no fewer than fifteen! In addition to the familiar nominative, genitive, partitive, and ablative, there are also the elative, allative, illative, essive, inessive, adessive, abessive, and several others. (Instructive, comitative, to name a few more ).

In linguistics, Finnish is defined as a synthetic language meaning that it uses suffixes to express grammatical relations and also to derive new words. In contemporary spoken Finnish, however, the tendency is to move from synthetic to analytic expression, where grammatical relations are expressed by word order, prepositions and other auxiliary words rather than flexion.
Old October 25, 2001, 19:01   #81
Natan
Prince

Quote:
Yes, you get a pat on the back or if you like, a Planetbuster loaded cake
Planetbuster loaded cake? Well, I knew that the colonists of Chiron had come up with many innovative uses for nuclear power, but . . .

Seriously though, when are we going to have the Aliens land? And if the Planetary council is still tied (which it is, right?) does Morgan stay governor or is there a second round of voting?

Also, kudos to Guardian for getting us the UN charter.
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2001, 22:12   #82
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd be glad to write for the Usurpers when they land. I'm a fan of Judaa Marr, and I think that all opportunities to be ruthless should be taken. Also, I must apologize for not being around much. My final exams begin in exactly three days.
Old October 25, 2001, 23:19   #83
Sprayber
Emperor

I knew if I kept pushing, Guaradian would eventually seek out the charter. Now Solo has something to pick apart.

Kudos to Guardian for braving the twisted UN Website.
Old October 25, 2001, 23:23   #84
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I'd be glad to write for the Usurpers when they land. I'm a fan of Judaa Marr, and I think that all opportunities to be ruthless should be taken. Also, I must apologize for not being around much. My final exams begin in exactly three days.
Sparta may be interested in some form of alliance with the Usurpers. Depending on the sitution of their landing.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:34   #85
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Also, kudos to Guardian for getting us the UN charter.
Actually, you've only seen a small part of the Charter yet...

-but it is a start!

Quote:
I knew if I kept pushing, Guaradian would eventually seek out the charter. Now Solo has something to pick apart.
Pick apart the human rights??
Well, sure, go right ahead and try it...

Of course, this will dramatically increase tensions between Spartans and Peacekeepers, Isabella will do her best to pick Solo apart and Lal probably won't even consider whatever Santiago might have to say, but if that is what you want, then fine, be my guest...

I'm sure General Braddock won't mind, and neither will Svensgaard & Co...

Last edited by Guardian; October 26, 2001 at 07:20.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2001, 07:21   #86
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

The original UN Charter from 1945 is available from the UN web site, but this is basically just a description of what kind of organization the UN is supposed to be and how it's supposed to work. Today, when we talk about the "UN Charter", we tend to also think about lots of stuff that wasn't in the original charter, such as the Declaration of Human Rights, the Statute of the International Court of Justice, various international laws and treaties, plus the myriad of resolutions that have been adopted concerning the privileges and immunities of the UN, etc, etc, etc. I imagine by 2200, many of these would actually be adopted into the Charter, so the "UN Charter" in the game would be a lot more than the stuff they signed in 1945. However, if you want to have a look at the original Charter, you can find it right here:

http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/index.html

Oh, and by the way... DarkCloud was right: the Charter does include rules for voting...
Old October 26, 2001, 07:43   #87
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

General note on UN resolutions:

UN resolutions generally consist of two clearly defined parts: a preamble and an operative part. The preamble generally states the background, the reasoning behind the resolution and the underlying considerations. The operative part states the opinion of the UN organ or the action to be taken.

-Just in case somebody wondered...
Old October 26, 2001, 08:23   #88
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Natan

And if the Planetary council is still tied (which it is, right?) does Morgan stay governor or is there a second round of voting?
Umm? Planetary Council tied? I thought Roze had won hands down myself....
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2001, 09:30   #89
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic

Umm? Planetary Council tied? I thought Roze had won hands down myself....
Santiago
Sparta--------8
Hive----------7
Believers------7
University-----6
Morgans------6
Total---34

Roze
Data Angels--7
Drones-------6
Gaians-------8
Cyborgs------5
Pirates------8
Total----34

UN--------10(absain)
Cult-------3(abstain)

Sparta would never accept a cult revote. So after much struggle and so much time spent going behind allies backs to make deals, we will probably end up with Morgan as Governor again. Which won't be too bad for the Spartans.

Last edited by Sprayber; October 26, 2001 at 09:36.
Old October 26, 2001, 12:31   #90
[LordLMP]

Civil War?

Guardian, if there is rules in the charter about voting... what are they? Can the Cult and possibly the Peacekeepers change their vote? especially before the voting is officially over.

-LMP