Old December 18, 1999, 22:52   #1
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
+-- First Age Scenerio --+
I'm designing a fantasy scenerio and I was wondering what you all thought about it, I also have a few questions.

The scenerio will include the following:

*6 uniques races

*A tech tree that follows a general path but allows each race to develope special techs of their own (Like Midgard)

*All Unique units for each race, each has their own settler, diplomat, trade carvan etc.

*Map terrain that is unique for each race's area.

*A individual events.txt for each race, and a default one for all the races.

*Hidden secerts that help the stroy flow and emerse the player (sort of like julesverne)

*Multiple ways to achieve victory, not including making to alpha centauri.

*Fully functional civlopedia and all the other trimmings.

I was wondering if anyone knew where to get some really good unit pics of orks, elves, dwarves, merfolk & sea animal units, undead & skeletol type units, I've been over all the units from the scenerios from the apol's scenerio collection and i've only found a few that I could use. Also, I wanted to hear what you all thought of the idea. I'm going to write a small introductery story to get the player into the game and as I make sequals the story will continue. If you would like to be a playtester of this scenerio when it's finished send an e-mail to greygandalf20@yahoo.com and i'll send you a copy.
Old December 19, 1999, 14:06   #2
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 01:03
If you`ve been over every scenario in Apolyton`s collection, does that mean you haven`t tried the CSC yet? There`s plenty of fantasy scenarios there.

btw, count me in for playtesting.
Old December 20, 1999, 00:18   #3
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:33
Sounds a promising enough start.

An events file for each race and a default events file - what's the structure there? Two events files working simultaneously?

The unique land masses may lead to the terrain becoming a bit monotonous and possibly unbalanced if there are distinct variations in the stats. It's far from impossible to overcome, but something to be mindful of.

It sounds a bit like a hybrid of Jules Verne and Midgard - is that a fair description?

As for graphics, I would check out some of the computer art galleries. Programs such as Bryce allows some outstanding effects, and many people have posted their creations - one of thousands of possible sites is: www.bmacleod.com/selectgallery.html , although there is some debate as to whether it's either better or easier to just create your own unit graphics instead of trying to modify an existing image (see apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HTML/000543.html for different views).

Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited December 20, 1999).]
Old December 20, 1999, 02:13   #4
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:03
It is a bit of a hybrid of JV and midgard, neither were as good as they should have been in my opinion. I'm hoping this will be the best fantasy scenerio on apolyton. Its not going to be ready for playtesting for a month or more though, the biggest hurdles are the units graphics and writting the story for the scenerio. I'm not too worried about terrain being unbalanced, each bit of terrain is going to complimentary to the race that lives in it. I have some really nifty things i'm going to try and incorporate. As for the events files, there will be one that comes in the scenerio folder (the default, won't have as many features) and there will be several others for that will offer more storyline spice and a few make unit type things. Thanks for the link i'l check that out.
Old December 20, 1999, 03:54   #5
Dracon

First off, you should take a look at Dagor Bragollach: The Battle of Sudden Flame. This scenario is the pioneer of Fantasy scenarios. If you can't find it, email me.