Old October 13, 2001, 00:01   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pop-ups shmopups!
'At E3, you describe a slimmed down interface with significantly less information screens to view. How has this changed Civ III? Is it inspire quicker or easier play? Will the stat buffs be satisfied?

Jeff: The interface has been streamlined to keep players immersed in the beautiful world we’ve created in the game and cut down on game interruptions - like the popups in previous Civs. We broke all popups into three categories. Those localized to an area, but require no user input, now appear on the map itself, near the area of focus. Those that were not localized to an area, but still didn't require user interaction became advisor messages. The last kind, those that require some user interaction (such as a picking a new advance to research), still stop the game. The boon of this system is that approximately 2/3rds of the game stopping information windows no longer stop the game. It'll be appreciated immediately by anyone familiar with the series.'

[More from the German site interview of Firaxis team.]

I can't tell you how appreciative I am of this. I for one had to shut down ALL pop-up options in CivII and Alpha Centauri becuase of their annoyingness. But now it looks I and others like me will be able to take advantage of these critical messages without critically annoying pop-ups.

Good work F-team
Old October 13, 2001, 01:13   #2
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
at first i thought f was for fu** up team but i get it now. it's late here

anyway this is good news, sounds like another positive change in the game

go f-team yee haw
Old October 13, 2001, 09:13   #3
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
a definant time saver especially for MP games where lots of times the game halted just to tell you what you had built.... Now the MPer can have his turn without interuyptions and do micromanaging between turns as he should ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 13, 2001, 09:38   #4
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:36
Civ 2 was especially annoying with the pop-ups in the late game. You would have to go to more than half your cities every turn to change their production orders. That was tedious.
Old October 13, 2001, 10:44   #5
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
Civ 2 was especially annoying with the pop-ups in the late game. You would have to go to more than half your cities every turn to change their production orders. That was tedious.
I should also point out that in Civ III, you can right click on cities in the map view and change production (among other things) right there. This is incredibly handy, especially when administering large empires.

Dan
Old October 13, 2001, 10:52   #6
Fiil
Warlord

Local Time: 15:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

I should also point out that in Civ III, you can right click on cities in the map view and change production (among other things) right there. This is incredibly handy, especially when administering large empires.

Dan
Wow, I think I'm gonna like this!
Old October 13, 2001, 10:52   #7
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:

Dan
That's a real time saver, well done
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old October 13, 2001, 20:32   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It just gets better and better
Old October 13, 2001, 20:44   #9
d_dudy
Prince

Quote:

Dan
would you know if this can be achieved by control-clicking on the mac?
Old October 13, 2001, 22:04   #10
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:

Dan
what about from city overview screen? you know, whatever screen it is in civ3 where you can see a listing of all your cities and their status? can u right-click to change production fromt that?
Old October 13, 2001, 23:57   #11
Laszlo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
Late in the game when I got flush with cash I would rush buy the production in all my cities. I made a macro to do it 12 at a time, but the next turn when I had to change all the production orders it took ten minutes!
Old October 14, 2001, 00:04   #12
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:36
Wow, both pieces of news sound great. The first piece of news mentioned by Anunikoba from an interview has been stated many times by Firaxis before, though.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 14, 2001, 00:04   #13
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Well then how will you get important messages?

Will it be like in CTP where you had those message buttons to click on the side of the screen?
Old October 14, 2001, 00:08   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Lorizael:

There were 3 types of pop-ups, which have been changed in civ3. Now the important messages will either:

Appear directly as an effect on the map (fireworks for WLTKD)
Appear as an advisor message
Appear as a popup

This will keep the amount of info, but reduce the number of popups.
Old October 14, 2001, 00:22   #15
Mars
Prince

What a time saver

Quenes should help as well, so now we can change production straight from the map, have quenes and reduction of those annoying pop-ups that took forever to get through Yeessss.
Did i miss any time savers
Old October 14, 2001, 00:28   #16
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Lorizael:

There were 3 types of pop-ups, which have been changed in civ3. Now the important messages will either:

Appear directly as an effect on the map (fireworks for WLTKD)
Appear as an advisor message
Appear as a popup

This will keep the amount of info, but reduce the number of popups.
Actually I'd already seen that somewhere but forgotten, thanks for reminding me. Definetely a good way of showing the information, now you don't have to wait 5 minutes to save and quit when your mother is calling you up for dinner!

Another to Firaxis (I just love those smilies!)
Old October 14, 2001, 00:38   #17
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:

Dan
This is another evolution from SMAC where you could sort of do this through the production manager screen. But being able to control your cities through the main map directly is WAY better.

My gosh dardedness, you guys ROCK! Thanks Dan.
Old October 14, 2001, 12:13   #18
SITS
King

Local Time: 14:36
They giveth and taketh away
Its great that they are making it easier to manage bigger empires but they have also said the game itself makes it hard to have big empires!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 14, 2001, 12:21   #19
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:36
almost too good to be true
*clenches teeth, crosses fingers, hoping that everything will be perfect, as promised*
Old October 14, 2001, 12:29   #20
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Re: They giveth and taketh away
Quote:
Originally posted by SITS
Its great that they are making it easier to manage bigger empires but they have also said the game itself makes it hard to have big empires!
Yeah, and ICS takes another hit!

Maybe then Civ III does have a sort of "rise and fall" of civilizations? I hope so!
Old October 14, 2001, 14:15   #21
Mars
Prince

I think that the game will just makes it more cahllenging to have large empires, but none the less we expansianist warmonger bastards will find ways around it. So far it sounds like it will be even more fun than in any of the other games to be gigantic. And i like a good challenge anyway, with brute will and determination i'm sure that i will become just as big and mean and terrible as i was in civ2 and this time even worse because i won't get bored of all those pop ups and changing productions, instead i can just focuse i exucting people
Old October 14, 2001, 16:51   #22
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:36
Quote:
Dan
Excellent feature. Fine .Dan, is it also possibly to select orders for units only by right clicking on units?
Old October 14, 2001, 17:19   #23
squid
Warlord

Local Time: 14:36
One of the interesting areas of Computer Science / Psychology is "Human Computer Interaction".... it's all about making interfaces intuitive, usable, and friendly. It certainly looks like the Firaxians (sounds alien, don't it) were well versed in their interface design. Judging to the attention to HCI, I assume the AI and other code aspects are solid (i.e. not a hack) as well. Thumbs up for the solid job! SMAC's interface left something to be desired....and now, I see something more streamlined than imaginable.

Last edited by squid; October 14, 2001 at 20:01.
Old October 14, 2001, 17:38   #24
Ralf
King

I just hope that the map automatically recenters when anything needs new orders, and that the game-screen automatically turns to city-mode whenever a build-queue is empty.
I would really hate if one was forced to manually drag-around the map, and/or manually click, click and click just in order to proceed to bleeding obvious new order requirements. All actions that require player-interaction should be presented step-by-step automatically, if one wants it that way.