Old October 13, 2001, 15:43   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do rivers give access to resources?
This screen shows that the city have access to two resources, and obviously it is only connected to a river, no roads. Can we from that make the conclusion that rivers work on connecting you with the trade network?
Old October 13, 2001, 15:48   #2
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:38
Could the city have been bulit on one?
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 13, 2001, 15:50   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva
Could the city have been bulit on one?
Maybe, but not on two. and will the resource stay if you build on it, or will it be destroyed?
Old October 13, 2001, 15:59   #4
Sandman
King

Local Time: 15:38
Don't know about resources, but check out this screenshot .

I am absolutely convinced that river/deserts are excellent food production sites. A lush green flood plain and a wheat bonus. It has to be true.
Old October 13, 2001, 16:13   #5
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
I am absolutely convinced that river/deserts are excellent food production sites. A lush green flood plain and a wheat bonus. It has to be true.
I think yo are right. This is excellent.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 13, 2001, 17:52   #6
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
If there is any realism in the use of terrain resources then this should be true.

David
Old October 13, 2001, 17:57   #7
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Somebody hijacked my thread
This thread is about resources, not about food production. And yes it should be true.

What do you think? Are rivers links in the trade network?
Old October 13, 2001, 18:51   #8
Fiil
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
It would make sense! But who knows...
Old October 13, 2001, 18:54   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Vgriph: there are no strategic resources on the top left, but it does have beavers? and spice?
Old October 13, 2001, 19:00   #10
Crouchback
Warlord

But it could be that the resources are under the citizens working the field being gathered without the aid of roads. Yes, I know that isn't supposed to work, but there resources on the tiles being worked.

Dan the Man said this was a beta picture, so could be a mistake or something.

David
Old October 13, 2001, 19:09   #11
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Somebody hijacked my thread
This thread is about resources, not about food production. And yes it should be true.

yes
Old October 13, 2001, 19:14   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Incidentally, judging from that screenshot, it seems to suggest that once you found a city you have "explored" the surrounding city radius, like in CtP/2, and unlike Civ2 where you had to move the unit all round to get the best use of land.
Old October 13, 2001, 19:41   #13
The diplomat
King

Did anyone also notice that 2 of the garrison units have little happy faces next to them, which seem to be the same happy faces of the 2 luxuries. Do luxuries make units happy? Maybe the happy faces represent free support. Perhaps, some luxuries increase happiness, while others increase free support.

In another screenshot, we can clearly see a happy face next to the citizen. But in this one, the happy face from the luxury is next to the military unit. What is the explanation?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old October 13, 2001, 19:57   #14
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Did anyone also notice that 2 of the garrison units have little happy faces next to them, which seem to be the same happy faces of the 2 luxuries.
I assumed that was just the usual "police" effect of troops garrisoned in the city, as with all the other Civ games. Hence the smilies are next to the luxuries in that picture.

Things that make people happy.

David
Old October 13, 2001, 20:04   #15
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback

I assumed that was just the usual "police" effect of troops garrisoned in the city, as with all the other Civ games. Hence the smilies are next to the luxuries in that picture.

Things that make people happy.

David
You are right. silly me. I guess I was just reading too much into it!
Old October 14, 2001, 03:35   #16
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
I vote YES
Yes Gramphos, there seem to be no roads, only rivers. The two "resources" within the city radius are cattle, so they only provide extra food. Therefore, it does appear that rivers link cities to resources just like roads and harbors do.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:53   #17
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
You are the rightest Jaybe
/quote Yes Gramphos, there seem to be no roads, only rivers. The two "resources" within the city radius are cattle, so they only provide extra food. Therefore, it does appear that rivers link cities to resources just like roads and harbors do. /quote

I was a bit lost but you are right Jaybe, the two sources are cattle. Spice and "Woodchuck" (I don't know how to say it in English) could be goods the city is trading from other cities, perhaps, in exchange of money.

That is the reason why there is no strategic sources on the top of the screenshot. Do you remember there is two kinds of sources? strategic, like silk, oil, aluminium, and others like cattle wich increment food, shields and commerce. I wonder if strategic ones also increment them.

If you look carefully, the cattle more on the top produce more food than the lowest one, and they are in the same kind of terrain type. I spent some time to notice the river but, ... What happens to the river?, it doesn't go through the squares, it goes by the side of the squares so the two adjacent squares of the river gain the profit. What a new, strange and amuzing change in rivers, isn't it?
Old October 14, 2001, 06:09   #18
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Re: You are the rightest Jaybe
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramsib
I was a bit lost but you are right Jaybe, the two sources are cattle. Spice and "Woodchuck" (I don't know how to say it in English) could be goods the city is trading from other cities, perhaps, in exchange of money.
You can't trade without a trade network. Unless it is a bug with this old shot rivers must connect cities in the trade network.

Quote:
What happens to the river?, it doesn't go through the squares, it goes by the side of the squares so the two adjacent squares of the river gain the profit. What a new, strange and amuzing change in rivers, isn't it?
It was noticed a while back. It is a good change .
Old October 14, 2001, 09:14   #19
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:38
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
This change in rivers could have something to do with borders...... rivers are natural borders afterall, it would stand to reason that Sid would find some way of representing this. Also it is more representive of reality. Afterall look how the entire egyptian civilization was able to flourish with nothing but the nile providing fertility in the lower reaches.
Old October 14, 2001, 09:23   #20
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I'm certain that those resources are being connected via the river. Firaxis would have never overlooked rivers as excellent transportation routes for trade and resources. This is not a bug, I'm certain of it. This is resource gather via rivers!

Excellent!!!
Old October 14, 2001, 10:19   #21
Tventano
Warlord

Since CivI both roads as rivers form the transportation network, so I am quite convinced that would not suddenly change, nice to get the confirmation through that image.

In the same image I see that the river has its spring in the mountains west of Thebes, looks quite realistic!
Old October 14, 2001, 10:46   #22
cyril25376
Warlord

Cool feature, you don't have to waste time to build roads. Another point: rivers cannot be destroyed like roads.
Old October 14, 2001, 11:01   #23
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Can (advanced) workers create rivers like in SMAC?
Old October 14, 2001, 12:20   #24
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
I'm certain that those resources are being connected via the river. Firaxis would have never overlooked rivers as excellent transportation routes for trade and resources. This is not a bug, I'm certain of it. This is resource gather via rivers!

Excellent!!!
The fact that makes me concerned is that the official FAQ says nothing of rivers as a transportation network.
Old October 14, 2001, 12:54   #25
splangy
Prince

Rivers are INBETWEEN squares so they cant be used as tranportation, they might even be a obsticle like in E.U.
Old October 14, 2001, 13:00   #26
Yoleus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by splangy
Rivers are INBETWEEN squares so they cant be used as tranportation, they might even be a obsticle like in E.U.
A nice, stategical and hopefully true observation
Old October 14, 2001, 13:01   #27
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by splangy
I remember hearing they still give you a trade bonus on all surrounding squares though.
Old October 14, 2001, 13:16   #28
Admiral
Prince

Quote:
Can (advanced) workers create rivers like in SMAC?
Presumably they can't, because CIV 3 does not go into the future and we cant create rivers now (or at least not without a tremendous waste of energy).
"Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok
Old October 14, 2001, 13:47   #29
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
One minor thing... We all accepted the extra trade/commerce on river tyles as a demonstration of the trading benifits of a nearby river, however if we're using rivers to send tradegoods doesn't it kind of negate this?

UPDATE:FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BEEN LISTENING, A STARTING CITY ON A RIVER IS NOW EVEN MORE USEFUL.......
Old October 14, 2001, 13:57   #30
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
UPDATE:FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BEEN LISTENING, A STARTING CITY ON A RIVER IS NOW EVEN MORE USEFUL.......
Do rivers still give +50% defense? or is that gone with the rivers located in the edge of the tiles?