Old October 14, 2001, 17:28   #31
Henk_Glimlach
Settler

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would get a heart attack if there wasent a world map give me a world map that's the biggest size and that i can create the roman empire. Because the romans are really the greatest.
Old October 14, 2001, 19:38   #32
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 14:39
Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
Does it matter if they include a world map? The map they included with Civ2 was so disturbingly horrible they might as well not have put it in. We'd probably be better off if they leave it out so no one has to endure such geographic monstrocities.
Definitely, but that doesn't mean this would be the case with civ3. Let's give Firaxis the benefit of the doubt. Many graphical aspects have been improved, this could very well be one of them.

Quote:
I made what i consider an excellent world map for Civ2, named Real World, it is available at CivFanatics.
Yes you did, it's a great map. I play on Earth maps ~90% of the time, and yours is one of the 3 best maps, along with Gigaworld and another one I can't recall. Although I did make a few adjustments on these maps, they are vastly superior to any official one.

Quote:
So no matter if they have a map or not I'll do a better, more accurate version when it comes out.
Exactly, and we're all counting on you map/mod artists to enhance our gameplay experience.
Old October 14, 2001, 19:54   #33
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
I just read this on the Civ3 website:

Quote:
The default world sizes in Civilization III are as follows:

Tiny World: 60x60 4 Civs
Small World: 80x80 6 Civs
Standard World: 100x100 8 Civs
Large World: 140x140 12 Civs
Huge World: 180x180 16 Civs

You can use the included editor to alter these world sizes, with the ability to create maps up to 256 x 256 in size.
So at least the maximum map size is known, but how about the map dimensions. It looks like the width and height should always be the same? Is there any more info available? Or any info about the included map editor...

Apart from that, IŽll definitely be making loads of maps again. But probably the first thing IŽll do is write a Civ2map to Civ3map conversion utility
Old October 15, 2001, 15:54   #34
Henk_Glimlach
Settler

Why would you want to play for example the romans if it's not on earth.
Old October 15, 2001, 16:27   #35
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 07:39
Cuz Romans r 133t.

Why not? It's not like it's even possible to accurately portray *all* of history in a single game.

I would think they would include a world map. Civ had a "play on earth" option. Civ2 came with a "world" map (as well as a mediterannian map, IIRC). I would expect Civ3 would come with something this basic. That would be like making the French a color other than dark blue! Oh wait... {This last sentence has been closed captioned for the sarcasm impaired.}
Take me as I am.
Old October 15, 2001, 16:47   #36
Akillias
Chieftain

Best spot on the world map : australia
Old October 15, 2001, 16:52   #37
Akillias
Chieftain

they will include a world map because they made scenarios for the game and they cant make scenarios elsewhere than on world maps
Old October 15, 2001, 16:52   #38
Your.Master
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron

Dan said that there would be horses in America even though it is not historically accurate. This is one case in which gameplay overrides realism.
It's not even THAT inaccurate. If the game starts in 4000 BC, then it's 25 000 years off accurate (yeah, ONLY 25 000 years).

Horses and camels evolved in North America, but when the pre-Natives came over the Bering Strait they chased away and hunted down etc. the horses and camels. to Asia, where they then spread across the Eurasian-Africa supercontinental system (I just made up the word "supercontinental").

But I'm just being anal retentive.

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.
Old October 15, 2001, 17:04   #39
Melloj
Chieftain

Sure a world map is fun, but half the time I play a Civ game, I play on random maps, or maps I download without looking at screenshots.

I like discovering the terrain myself, and trying to make city placement decisions with the info I have, and not some Omnipotent source of info about how the whole world looks.

It sometimes isnt as fun, when I know exactly where to put my cities, and exactly where my enemies are located.

Thats just me
Old October 15, 2001, 17:08   #40
Indiana Jones
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:39
I liked to play on the world map with start positions randomized. Not realistic but in introduces a little of the unexpected. Especially the game I started out in Australia.

Finagle's Law - The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.
Old October 15, 2001, 17:11   #41
Henk_Glimlach
Settler

But creating the roman empire, chinese empire or british empire on earth is the greatest thing you can do. Change history and make a different earth. You cannot do that on a random map. A random map can be fun but only if you have tribes that don't exist on earth.
Old October 15, 2001, 17:24   #42
Melloj
Chieftain

Well fun is a subjective thing

But I agree, it is somewhat exhilirating having the Roman Empire right there in Southern Italy where it belongs.

But if you use your imagination, a random map, (like a alternate universe, where the continental drift happened differently) can be just as fun.
Old October 15, 2001, 17:31   #43
August Borms
Prince

Playing as the Romans on a crappy Civ2 random generated map isn't much fun indeed.

But on a good custom map where the tectonic plates and their results have been taken into account so that you have realistic continents, it's much better!!

It's a bit unrealistic, but so is knowing where every civ/continent is + genuine exploration is fun and realistic.

Sure, that the continents are different might make evolution seem a bit unrealistic, but eventually we would evolve into humans anyway!
Old October 15, 2001, 17:33   #44
August Borms
Prince

ah, continental drift is the word I was looking for