Old January 6, 2000, 20:33   #1
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to keep civs in contact...
Some might have seen playtesting is beginning. Well, now I was trying it myself and came across a very annoying problem.

Why the hell do the civs loosing contact with each other!(<- yelling with frustration)

I mean I have set everything necessary the way it should. Treaties have been set, attitudes to each other and to make sure I've moved units right next to the other ones cities. But no after few turns they loose contact. Looks stupid if 2 civs declare war on each other trough events without being in contact at all. I mean if they would be on different sides of the map, meaning way apart, I could understand. But no, they are neighbours! There are just 3 squares between their closest cities. They arw standing next to each other but they do not have contact.
It's messing it all up!

So, any ideas? Please...
Old January 6, 2000, 21:15   #2
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Some more info on the problem.

All things a set as planned when the scenario begins. However, when the players first turn passes the message appears that certain civs have made peace with each other. After that they all loose contact with each other.
The funny thing is that civs are making peace who were not even at war with each other. Who were in contact and peace and then they make peace with each other and then contact just vanishes even though I gave them embassies with each other. Furthermore, it is even more puzzling because I have made sure, or so I thought till now, that NO negotiations can occur under ANY circumstances.

So I'm asking: Does this event work as planed or has it a bug?

@IF
NEGOTIATION
talker=ANYBODY
talkertype=HumanOrComputer
listener=ANYBODY
listenertype=HumanOrComputer
@THEN
@ENDIF

I have tried other combinations of this prohibiting it for AIs and human seperatly.
Didn't help either.

Do I have to prohibit negotiations for each civ seperaly? That would eat up all the event space I have. It would be 6x7 events(42).

I also have the feeling that it might not be a problem of the events file. If it should be in the scn file itself I've got a really big mess.
Old January 7, 2000, 00:44   #3
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 00:03
Hendrik, negotiations are a pain in the arse.... They are very tricky. With your situation about the contact part. I'm not sure but if you want the civs to fight with each other to the death without the possibilites of peace you have to adjust your negotiations. I haven't seen that style using the events the way you did. You might try seperating your event.

@IF
NEGOTIATION
talker=Ottomans
listener=Byzantines
@THEN
@ENDIF

@IF
NEGOTIATION
talker=Byzantines
listener=Ottomans
@THEN
@ENDIF

Try that with all Civs you wish to fight to the death. I've been trying (without success) in getting just the human player able to talk to the Computer Civ but the Computer Civ disabled in NEGOTIATION with the human player..... Doing some playtesting with my scenario, get back to this later.....

Civfan......

Old January 8, 2000, 01:00   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

YES! It works, it works! I have absolutly NO idea what so ever what was causing it but it seems to work as it's supposed to.
(Big sigh)....and I already thought I have to start all over from scratch.

Wasn't a bad day afterall.

Civfan, the idea with your event was the spark that made me think! I was really puzzled by it till I decided to prohibit negotiation for the 4th civ( the Latins) with everyone else and vice versa. I noticed that they always made peace somehow first and then the rest would follow just like a chainreaction.
Also, without knowing if it has anything at all to do with it, I changed the beginning turn to turn 1 instead of 0 in the game year thingy. I don't know what it's called in english.

[This message has been edited by Hendrik the Great (edited January 07, 2000).]