Old October 13, 2001, 19:59   #1
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!
What would happen:

You have a very high culture rating, several times that of your opponent, the Greeks. You're at war, so you can ignore their borders. You build a city right smack in the middle of their civilization. What happens? Because the new city has a low culture rating will it be assimilated into the Greek civilization? But you have a high overall culture rating so does that negate the fact that the individual city has a low one? Do you actually assimilate the neighboring Greek cities instead?
Old October 13, 2001, 20:11   #2
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
wow, that is a crazy situation, i think city borders are determined by the entire civilization's culture, so what would happen????

FIRAXIS! DAN!
Old October 13, 2001, 20:17   #3
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:39
I think it works by the factor of overlapping city tiles. If you build the city last, I think it is you who can be asimilated, although if you have a very high culture rating yourself, the chance will be a lot lower...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 13, 2001, 20:21   #4
Executor
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I think it works by the factor of overlapping city tiles. If you build the city last, I think it is you who can be asimilated, although if you have a very high culture rating yourself, the chance will be a lot lower...
But let's say there was a space in the middle of the Greek empire, so you built a city outside any Greek city's radius.
Old October 13, 2001, 20:25   #5
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Then I would expect there is no assimilation issue. But if you were allied with him, you would not be able to do so within his territory, and I doubt his borders would move, you'd be squeezed out and would have to gain those tiles by forcible means...as far as I could tell.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 13, 2001, 20:32   #6
Executor
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Then I would expect there is no assimilation issue. But if you were allied with him, you would not be able to do so within his territory, and I doubt his borders would move, you'd be squeezed out and would have to gain those tiles by forcible means...as far as I could tell.
You're at war with the Greeks, so you don't have to worry about violating their borders. Remember, your civilization border is different from the tiles used by your cities. Just look at SMAC. Your borders extended far beyond those of your cities.
Old October 13, 2001, 22:09   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Most probably your superior total culture would stop this city being instantly assimilated by the Greeks, but if i were in that situation (and really had to have a city on that spot) i would be putting in a very large garrison and building some cultural buildings asap
Old October 13, 2001, 22:33   #8
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:39
SBs right, a large garrison will stop any cultural assimilation.
Old October 14, 2001, 02:10   #9
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:39
Hmmm. Perhaps this is a potential flaw in the game? Maybe this is one way you can exploit ("cheat?") the rules of the game ala ICS? I hope not.
Old October 14, 2001, 02:14   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Most probably your superior total culture would stop this city being instantly assimilated by the Greeks, but if i were in that situation (and really had to have a city on that spot) i would be putting in a very large garrison and building some cultural buildings asap
Problem with "building some cultural buildings asap" is that ALL rush purchases expend Great Leaders, which are few and too far between. Culture is basically a long-term thingy, from what I get from Dan's posts. Extremely difficult to 'rush' culture. Good thing too, since it would make the game a cakewalk if you could rush it.
BUILD CITY WALLS!!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 14, 2001, 02:23   #11
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
Hmmm. Perhaps this is a potential flaw in the game? Maybe this is one way you can exploit ("cheat?") the rules of the game ala ICS? I hope not.
How so? AFAIK, if you somehow manage to get a settlers unit into the middle of Greek territory and start a city, you can only claim unused tiles and cannot push his borders back. But you would probably have a difficult time keeping the city in the first place, as city radius is determined by city (not civilization) culture and city culture is dependent on culture-providing buildings, which are dependent on being connected with your trade network, which is dependent on having a road go straight through Greek territory without them destroying it.

I don't think culturally huge cities can "push back" borders in any other way than assimilating culturally weak enemy cities.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 14, 2001, 02:30   #12
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
Cities gain culture by age it would be hard to use a new city in a "borg" method no matter what your culture is. As for what would happen to the new city thats a good question. Will culture have the same effects if your at war with another that it will durring peace?
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 14, 2001, 03:45   #13
Ralf
King

Re: You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!
Quote:
Originally posted by Executor
You build a city right smack in the middle of their civilization. What happens? Because the new city has a low culture rating will it be assimilated into the Greek civilization? But you have a high overall culture rating so does that negate the fact that the individual city has a low one?
That doesnt help. Culture-borders expands indevidually for each city, depending on the cultural additions in that particular city. Regardless if your Civ have several times higher culture-rating then your neighbor Civ, your 1-pop newbie-city always start out with no cultural borders at all. Borders dont just pop-up instantly, like in SMAC. You have to build a temple first to get any culture-borders at all.

Im not sure, but I dont even think that Wonders (only cultural ones, I guess) gives culture-points to every city simultaneously - only to the city where its been built in.

You can still improve your city-area though (you get access to 8 surrounding tiles to begin with - then 20, after a threshold city-size), but unless that shield/trade/food city-area also is overlapped with your culture-borders as well, any neighbor Civ can claim those tiles, without that being considered as an act of war by any foreign Civs.

There are 3 types of natural resources: bonus resources, strategic resources, and luxury resources. You can only reap the benefit from those if you get them road-connected with your city and within your culture-borders. Alternatively; road-connected with your city and establishing colonies on them. Every city within your empire share these recources, as long as your cities are connected to each other, one way or the other.

Last edited by Ralf; October 14, 2001 at 03:52.
Old October 16, 2001, 13:41   #14
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
*BUMP*
Old October 16, 2001, 14:53   #15
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

Problem with "building some cultural buildings asap" is that ALL rush purchases expend Great Leaders, which are few and too far between. Culture is basically a long-term thingy, from what I get from Dan's posts. Extremely difficult to 'rush' culture. Good thing too, since it would make the game a cakewalk if you could rush it.
BUILD CITY WALLS!!

Strange. I thought Great Leaders were needed only for Wonders. I can't see why you shouldn't be able to rush build temples, libraries, and other cultural buildings. Culture would certainly improve due to such measures, in time. Just as in real life, only it's not a straightforward issue.
Old October 16, 2001, 14:58   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think culture-borders are on a per-city level. so your new city would have NO CULTURE to start with, and would be pray to the Greek culture, which as weak as it may be is still biger than none.

if you really wanted to rushbuy a temple / library etc to peacefully subvert. go ahead.
Old October 16, 2001, 15:28   #17
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Something tells me that building a city within the borders of another Civ will not be allowed...
Old October 16, 2001, 15:33   #18
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

That is true (as long as you are at peace), but if you found outside his borders, and your cultural borders expand, they might push back his, and perhaps eventually assimiliate his city.