Old October 13, 2001, 23:15   #1
WenAmon
Settler

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unit Names
You know what would be cool... naming each unit. IE... if I was the british i could have all my galleys named different, ie HMS Enterprize or HMS Beagle...

Does anyone have any idea how we can edit the game once we get it to do this?

btw... I recognize a lot of names from the old Alpha Centauri boards... I used to post frequently there as Kurn...its nice to see some familiar names
Old October 13, 2001, 23:49   #2
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Though I don't think you can modify the game that much is is conceivable that you could make a unique unit for every unit type in a Civ. I know this is not what you are talking about but it means you can really make a civilization unique.
Old October 14, 2001, 00:47   #3
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
That would be really cool though. I believe i've seen things like that in other games, can't remeber what right now though
Old October 14, 2001, 01:44   #4
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
"Panzer General" and all its sequels let you name your units. So did the fore-runner of Civ, "Empire" and "Empire Deluxe."

It's a good feature. Giving your units a name makes you feel a certain attachment to them. I'd like to name mine after big battles they fought. Such as "The Heros of Austerlitz" or "The Conquerers of Moscow". Or just simple military names if they haven't won a battle, like "4th Army, 2nd Division."

Doesn't look like its in the game. But it doesn't seem like it would be tough to program. Maybe a future patch.
Old October 14, 2001, 02:51   #5
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius
"Panzer General" and all its sequels let you name your units. So did the fore-runner of Civ, "Empire" and "Empire Deluxe."

Yeah Empire and Empire Deluxe were ahead of their time in that respect. It was about useless to name the armies but I really got attached to the ships. Always had to have at least 3 carriers and the first 3 would always be named "Yorktown, Enterprise, Hornet".
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.