Old January 8, 2000, 09:56   #1
Neil
Settler

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
RPG Game World - Can Civ2 do this?
Hello all. Nice site!

I am looking into modifying CivII from a slightly different perspective. It has long been my aim to create a computer-based RPG world where I can set all my fantasy-based RPGs.

To that end I have been playing with software such as World Builder to create maps. What I'd like to do is set up a starting game of CivII (with mods to prevent too much technology advances, and maybe add in Magic-based advances of my own).

Then I'd like to auto-run the whole thing with AI-only players to create a map which now has cities, civilisations, trade routes etc all set up. Not only would this create a more detailed world than I ever could, it would have the advantage of making population sizes, trade routes etc that are believable.

There's more to it than that, but my basic questions are:

1. Is this possible using the mod tools from this and Activision's sites?

2. Has anyone tried this before, and if so would they like to get in touch?

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Old January 8, 2000, 12:52   #2
Krusty

There doesn`t sound like there`s anything wrong with this. Actually it`s quite a good idea

Old January 8, 2000, 20:25   #3
Fast_Eddie

Activision???

Actually, there have been RPG type games made. MJ's "Sword of Shanarra" and Harlans's "Lord of the Rings" are probably the best out there. NickC is working on "Terramore", but that probably won;t be out for awhile.

YOu are talking about games with quests and puzzles to complete, right?

Old January 8, 2000, 21:36   #4
shamrock
Warlord

And don't forget one of my favorite scenarios in this genre - "Heroes of Beckhorn", by Blackclove.
Old January 9, 2000, 10:15   #5
Krusty

I Thought he was talking about the setting and locations for something like an AD&D Game.

Old January 10, 2000, 06:01   #6
Neil
Settler

You're right. I want to make a game world for table-top gaming. Using Civ2 to generate lots of details that are too brain-numbing to do well by myslelf.

Basically I'm fed up of running my own games on small islands (to restrict players running off the well-defined map). And I don't like ANY of the pre-designed worlds like Greyhawk, Dragonlance etc.

It looks like at the very least I should be able to restrict technologies and spend a day editing the map, running a game, then write all the details down. But better still would be a way of transferring the map electronically to my own format. Does anyone have refs to the .csg file format (I assume someone's cracked it to be able to produce "bmp2mp")?