Old October 14, 2001, 02:44   #1
Hex
Settler

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Color blindness problems?
I'm red-green colorblind and don't really have big problems with Civs, but I'm a bit worried about the diplomacy screen shot with right of passage and war in green and red.
Here's the link

I really cannot not tell wheter the Greeks are in war with Rome or wheter they have the right of passage with them.
I hope Firaxis atleast gives us the possibility of customizing these colors.

Firaxis was pretty good to us red-green colorblinds with Smac (they made us a graphics set.) although I never needed it. I really didn't have too many difficulties with that.

BTW. Almost 10 % of the worlds population is color-blind. So I'm not a part of really small minority.
Old October 14, 2001, 02:53   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Until they do a patch for the color-perception-challenged, you can still select which links you want to display (war, peace, alliance, etc.).
Remember, however, that even that screen may not be the way it is. Dan said that most (or all) of the multiplayer.it screenshots were not the final versions.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 14, 2001, 03:28   #3
vincentz
Chieftain

I would think that they would have a screen where you could click on the differnt civs and it would show all the data you know about them (in text). Who they are allied to etc. what kind of techs etc. If they don't, sue them.

Vincentz
Old October 14, 2001, 03:30   #4
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 10:40
Get a pair of red-filter glasses. If you can't see the line when you put them on, it's red.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 14, 2001, 03:47   #5
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:40
I don't think this will be a problem for you, actually, because a right-of-passage will always be accompanied (sp?) by a peace-treaty (right?). So if you see two lines between two civs, where one is blue and one is "redgreen", then you can rest assured that the other line is indeed a green right-of-passage line. If on the other hand you see a single "redgreen" line, it must be a red line, stating that the two civs are at war.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Peace!
-- Roland
Old October 17, 2001, 09:54   #6
lschaef
Settler

I'm also red-green colorblind and noticed that screen as well.

I decided not to worry about it untill I play the game and see if it's a problem for me. I was impressed when Firaxis made a color-blind patch for SMAC so I'm sure if there is a problem they'd help us out again.
Old October 17, 2001, 11:21   #7
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 10:40
That's funny; I'm not colour-blind and I couldn't tell what was going on with the original SMAC colour scheme either.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 17, 2001, 11:28   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:40
The original SMAC colour scheme was a special trial for the new NATO all-weather camoflage pattern
Old October 17, 2001, 11:46   #9
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:40
I'm color blind too (red-green), but that particular graphic you linked to seems to be missing now, so I can't comment on it. I had no problems in Civ 2, and I never got SMAC, but I am impressed that they released a color-blindness patch, so I'm not going to worry about it. Now if only the makers of atlases were so mindful of the color blind....
Old October 17, 2001, 13:14   #10
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:40
wow, there seems to be lots of people who are color blind, what is it you actually see? what do you mean by red-green? what do you actually see?
Old October 17, 2001, 13:39   #11
lschaef
Settler

There are some people that are completely color blind and I believe they just see shades of gray.

Red-Green is the most common type of color blindness. The best way I can describe what it's like for me is that DO see both red and green, but not as well as most people. A lot of time I can figure out the difference if there is enough light and I look close enough.

This effects more then just red and green. Any color that has red or green in it can be effected. For example, I have trouble seeing the difference between blue and purple since I don't see the red in purple as well so it looks too much like blue.
Old October 17, 2001, 14:05   #12
lschaef
Settler

The screen shot mentioned above is now located at: http://www.multiplayer.it/immagini/a...1500/img10.jpg
Old October 17, 2001, 14:59   #13
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 09:40
A little off topic for this thread but I don't think you have to have a peace treaty with folks who give you a rite of passage treaty. I believe you can have one without the other, not 100% sure however.
Old October 17, 2001, 16:13   #14
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 09:40
I know its not the best solution, but at least I hope that Firaxis has included popups for unit/terrain info when the mouse passes over.
Old October 17, 2001, 16:21   #15
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:40
As you can turn off any agreements that should not be hard to make out. (In the image you linked to are only war and peace on. (the dots left of the names light blue))
Old October 17, 2001, 16:49   #16
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:40
Quote:
Originally posted by lschaef
The screen shot mentioned above is now located at: http://www.multiplayer.it/immagini/a...1500/img10.jpg
That looks ok to me.

For those of you wondering what the color blind see, you can visit this page:
http://www.vischeck.com/showme.shtml

You will see three pictures of the world. If you are red-green color blind (like me), the left and the center pics will look exactly the same. Then there is a picture of hats; all three look the same to me. Then there's one of those pictures where you try to find a number in the dots. I can't find the number.

Welcome to my world!