Old October 14, 2001, 04:56   #1
Sandman
King

Local Time: 15:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Flood plains and mountains
Check it out

There is now a new type of terrain, called flood plain, created when a river flows through the desert.

Evidence: Green rims to the river when it flows through the desert, a wheat bonus resource and an info box in the corner which says 'flood plain'. I think we can safely say that this is in.

From the same screenshot, it is seems that mountains are visible from two squares away. This game has just started, but some mountains not adjacent to the player are visible. This should make exploration much easier, as you can home into the mountains and use their sight bonus to uncover more land.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:14   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:40
Flood Plains
Yes, a flood plain would have high nutrients for growing food, but I would still be a little weary of building a city in a flood plain - since, afterall, it's a plain that can flood from the adjacent river...

I wonder if they will have these various seasonal "Mother Nature" tamperings in the game....of course, this train of thought could lead one to thinking of hurricanes, tornadoes, and even forest fires just to name a few off of the top of my head.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:20   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:40
I believe it is plains, next to a river, not desert.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:41   #4
Sandman
King

Quote:
I believe it is plains, next to a river, not desert.
Look at this screenshot then.

The plains are a different tone from the deserts, and the green flood plain only appears in deserts.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:50   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Have you never thought of that there might be new terrains. Colonization had Plains, Prairie, Desert, Grassland and Savannah.
I don't think that looks like desert, but I might be wrong.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:54   #6
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Sorry, after checking various other screens I believe you are right.
Old October 14, 2001, 09:42   #7
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:40
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
It's probably simply be desert with a food bonus. Caution is advised though as deserts aren't that great defensively. How has Civ3 done with the idea of baseing a perfectly good city atop a mountain? In civ 2 when I tried this tactically sound idea I was punished with lack of growth.
Old October 14, 2001, 09:50   #8
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
There is now a new type of terrain, called flood plain, created when a river flows through the desert.
The green bits right around the river maybe flood plain. But a whole tile is 200 miles squared, which is a bit big for any river to flood regularly. And the second shot just looks like ordinary grassland to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I wonder if they will have these various seasonal "Mother Nature" tamperings in the game....of course, this train of thought could lead one to thinking of hurricanes, tornadoes, and even forest fires just to name a few off of the top of my head.
There is a definitive denial out there from Dan himself that these sort of random events are in Civ 3, but I can't find the thread. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
How has Civ3 done with the idea of baseing a perfectly good city atop a mountain?
I sure they've said you can't put cities on mountains in Civ 3. I think that's in one of the Ask the Team sessions. Whatever happened to those?

David
Old October 14, 2001, 10:32   #9
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Can you see mountains from farther away? Or can you only use the mountains when you have a unit on one, in order to see farther?
Old October 14, 2001, 11:14   #10
Sandman
King

Quote:
Can you see mountains from farther away? Or can you only use the mountains when you have a unit on one, in order to see farther?
Both are in the game I believe.
Old October 14, 2001, 11:17   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think its just a way to let people colonize deserts to get resources.