Old October 14, 2001, 06:45   #1
Superstar
Prince

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Highest score on civ2??
Ok, so this is a very tedious topic, probably been done to death before, but...

Basically with all the buzz surrounding civ 3, I decided to pick up civ2 again and smashed my all time top score.
Launching in 2019 with a huge population I reached the dizzy heights of 971% on Deity level, but I still think I could have done better.
Anyone beaten 1000% yet or is my score freakishly high? (My previous best was in teh 600s).
Old October 14, 2001, 12:51   #2
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 15:40
AFAIK the maximum score has been calculated to be close to 40000 and our beloved moderator Ming has played a game over 20000 (thus beating the score previously obtained by his beloved brother Rah ).
The main problem is that such a game takes months, even playing several hours a day. I think Ming and Rah both have stated that they would NEVER do that again.
The first point you must have in mind is:
'building 255 cities size 127 is needed to reach high score'.

Have a nice time if you feel like it. I don't
Old October 15, 2001, 03:40   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
civfanatics still maintains a current hall of fame for some reason.Top game there is some 30000 odd points.You have to be a tad on the insane side to finish such an endeavor.Not recommended.
Old October 15, 2001, 13:49   #4
Superstar
Prince

Bloody hell. Any idea where I can find this hall of fame, and how the hell do you make a city that size? Using food caravans????
Old October 15, 2001, 14:13   #5
drake
King

Local Time: 10:40
Score is irrelevent to civ......I dont know what my best is as a result.
Old October 15, 2001, 14:29   #6
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

the most impressive score I´ve seen was a 400% in 1000ad. the guy who achieved this score was historian. he had a very nice site, which doesn´t seem to exist anymore. maybe some of you remember this site.

I don´t know my best score, but I mostly end up at about 600+ points (80-90%) in 1000ad
Old October 15, 2001, 15:27   #7
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Superstar
Bloody hell. Any idea where I can find this hall of fame, and how the hell do you make a city that size? Using food caravans????
www.civfanatics.com/civ2hof.shtml

To get the absolute highest score:

Select raging horde barbarian level to get 25 extra points;

Select restart civ, build a lot of explorers and diplos, hoping that one of them will be able to catch a new born civ's first settlers before they can build any city. Use a diplo to bribe one of the settlers (if they split), and use an explorer to follow the other settler so it will not be able to build a city(don't let it reach any river/roaded square, or it will slip away). Give techs to that civ and sign a peace treaty. After eliminating all other civs, you will be able to build 255 cities instead of 254, and you'll pocket peace points as well;

Select a large map. Build 255 non-overlapping cities (it may be a good idea to build overlapping cities at first for fast development then disband any overlapping cities later). Build the Pyramids and some happiness wonders. While using WLTKD to grow your civ, accumulate food caravans. After WLTKD, send food caravans two at a time to one another so that the cities will grow regardless food deficit. If you don't have enough caravans for every-turn delivery, send them in pairs every two turns. The key here is to send two, not one, caravans at the same turn. (Preferably, send food caravans from nearby cities so the food route won't replace a profitable commodity route).

After certain cities reach size 127, you don't need to (actually you mustn't) send two caravans to that city. You only need to send one caravan every 2-3 turns to keep the population. So you'll have some cities building SS parts instead. Then you launch the biggest space ship to get more points. Set luxury rate be 100% and hire 16 entertainers before landing.

The two continental trading strategy will yield enough money for both building caravans and science progress. Set aside some caravans for comodity trading. Eventually all your cities will have 3 profitable trade routes and will yield enough money for buying one caravan a turn, provided that you build marketplace, bank, stock exchange, superhighways, and airport in every city.

Almost forgot, you have 255 future techs to research for more points. Choose a white civ so that you won't suffer the penalty for being too advanced. Your large cities will hire enough scientists for 2-3 future techs per turn. However I heard that the number will roll back to zero at a certain point and you may fail to reach 255.

Last edited by Xin Yu; October 15, 2001 at 16:14.
Old October 15, 2001, 17:48   #8
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
AFAIK the maximum score has been calculated to be close to 40000 and our beloved moderator Ming has played a game over 20000 (thus beating the score previously obtained by his beloved brother Rah ). The main problem is that such a game takes months, even playing several hours a day. I think Ming and Rah both have stated that they would NEVER do that again.
The first point you must have in mind is:
'building 255 cities size 127 is needed to reach high score'.
hmm there is one thing that might be forgotten
score depends also on Difficulty level=> those scores are calculated with the normal diety,what would happen on Diety 5+ and Barbarian+ those might boost the max score also a little,or does it only boost the %??
(Is 255 future techs really the max???)

Shade
Old October 16, 2001, 16:15   #9
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
You have to be a tad on the insane side to finish such an endeavor.Not recommended.
I am so here we go....just an attempt(and yes I an muts)

Shade
Old October 16, 2001, 17:36   #10
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
255 future tech is the max. Stop research at that point, because if you go further you come back to future tech 1
I've hesitated to supress this limit in my no-limits add-on, but decided it would't be interesting