Old October 14, 2001, 14:20   #31
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Send an email to Markos and Civfanatics.
Old October 14, 2001, 14:25   #32
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:41
just a shot of the tower ...but it is a nice 'feely'
Old October 14, 2001, 14:43   #33
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
Send an email to Markos and Civfanatics.
well, markos never responded to my last email...but the other is worth a try.

anyway, here is a temporary link:

http://home.mmcable.com/apogee/movie.htm

have fun!

Last edited by Nemo; October 14, 2001 at 15:45.
Old October 14, 2001, 14:53   #34
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
Someone needs to post this movie on another site because it is so painfully slow on Gamespot!
I believe it isn't slow, just a lot of simultaneous downloads, so if all of you canceled your downloads...
Old October 14, 2001, 15:00   #35
Nemo
Prince

had to move the file...sorry

should be back up in 2 minutes

EDIT: ok all done
Old October 14, 2001, 15:14   #36
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

That was mush faster
Old October 14, 2001, 15:27   #37
MBloomIII
Prince

What the hell is Infogrames?

At the beginning of the spot it shows a symbol for Infogrames then a symbol for Firaxis games. Is Infogrames a typo for Infogames?
Old October 14, 2001, 15:31   #38
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MBloomIII
What the hell is Infogrames?

At the beginning of the spot it shows a symbol for Infogrames then a symbol for Firaxis games. Is Infogrames a typo for Infogames?
Nope it is supposed to be Infogrames ... and i think their symbol might be an armadillo.

Last edited by Nemo; October 14, 2001 at 15:46.
Old October 14, 2001, 15:44   #39
Nemo
Prince

civfanatics uploaded it...they might have it locally soon. they *DO* respond to my emails apparently.
Old October 14, 2001, 15:57   #40
Juggernaut
Prince

Very good movie. First I thought the whole idea was just a spin round the Tower of Babylon, but then I saw the tower's slowly morphing into modern style. And when the main title appear and the music gets less subtle, there's definetively vibes in the air.
Old October 14, 2001, 16:04   #41
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 06:41
Quote:
Originally posted by uncle_funk
Very good movie. First I thought the whole idea was just a spin round the Tower of Babylon, but then I saw the tower's slowly morphing into modern style. And when the main title appear and the music gets less subtle, there's definetively vibes in the air.
Tower of Babel, no?
Old October 14, 2001, 16:24   #42
Nemo
Prince

www.civfanatics.com has a link to d/l a local copy now too, much faster than gamespot. my copy will be offline by 1am central time. ...so i dont get in trouble at work
Old October 14, 2001, 16:44   #43
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
Tower of Babel, no?
Sorry...
Old October 14, 2001, 17:01   #44
Hex
Settler

Local Time: 14:41
I liked Smac's intro maybe a little bit more than this. I would have loved again some quote... Damn

Smac's intro's quote is the only piece of Bible I know by heart. (thankfully I don't have to learn more... I consider myself an atheist)

"Therefor the lord God send him forth....."

Ok. I have an odd perversion about quotes.
Old October 14, 2001, 17:13   #45
SerapisIV
King

Well, I kinda liked it, nothing really too special. It sounds and looks like one of the original Age of Empires videos. (never played AoK) I'm glad that it's not much longer, Firaxis is right, the videos are just something I'll skip after the first 2 times playing. This one, even as pretty as it is, is not an exception.

I really liked the music, it's very rich and full sounding. Also, there's a ton of background sounds used that sound great, rippling water, geese, wind blowing. I hope the game has the same rich ambient sound.

I hope the vicotry videos at the end are more exciting. I never skip those, no matter how often I've played the game. After 30 hours for one game I want to sit back and enjoy every second of the video and intently pour over the game replay.
Old October 14, 2001, 17:15   #46
cyril25376
Warlord

Thanks for the link, Nemo. I had an excellent speed 31,5 kB instead of just 1,5
Old October 14, 2001, 17:18   #47
SerapisIV
King

I'm with you Hex, I'm a sucker for all the deep philosophical quotes as well. But those quotes really don't fit as well in Civ. Civ is a battle between empires, not the intense clash of personalities that SMAC is (Cult of Personality by Living Colour fits SMAC perfectly)
Old October 14, 2001, 17:19   #48
Mookie
Settler

Local Time: 15:41
What a lousy trailer I really hope tha game is better... Compare it with a trailer from Blizzard. They know how to make an impressive teaser
Old October 14, 2001, 17:45   #49
SerapisIV
King

It's not a trailer, it's the intro video. It's supposed to give an epic feel, which I think it does successfully. Blizzard's stories all revolve around large armies or individuals, not 6,000 years of human history. Blizzard videos tell stories, which is easy because their games all have a background story. The whole point of Civ is to write your own story. Very different games, very different backgrounds, very different results.

And to be for certain, it is not a teaser. A teaser is released years ahead of the game (if we followed the Blizzard model) and gains early game press. This is the actual game video, not some press junket footage
Old October 14, 2001, 22:39   #50
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
ACS becomes on the third known and second mirror site from which to obtain this release
actually you were the 4th known and 4th mirror site.

see... everyone got it from gamespot (site one)
then i posted it on my webserver (site two)
then i icq'd it to civfanatics.com (site three)
then you probably got it from one of the above three, hence you are the forth

just wanted to point that out, and the fact that you could have been the second, IF you guys (ehhem...Markos) actually responded to your members' emails.

see you guys should really answer those emails sometimes
Old October 14, 2001, 23:42   #51
Chuckles
King

Thanks for the mirrors guys. It's a pretty decent video, though it only seems to encompass two different eras, ancient and modern, kind of wierd. I was waiting for the space link in but it didn't happen.

What the heck are Canada Geese doing over there anyway? Maybe it was being build by the Iroquois?

As for the chap who said nothing is better than the AOK intro, I beg to differ. Have you ever seen the Homeworld intro? That is cool! And it used the game engine! Have you ever seen any other game that used their engine to make the movies?

Homeworld is still the best I think, though the one Warcraft3 teaser where they start by flying over soem shrub studded desert like area is also very cool.
Old October 14, 2001, 23:50   #52
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
I'm just going to wait for the game to come out. I have cable but downloading from some of these sites can be very painful. It's only 2 weeks...
Old October 15, 2001, 02:00   #53
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:41
Thanks to Poly for the mirror. I still say my idea of a unlocking intro would have been great. In this case, the more 'milestones' you reach in your games (could take ...should take... several games, of course) a bit more of the intro 'unlocks' until you can see the entire thing.

Sure, somebody would probably post the whole thing just like they did here, but if I had know about an unlocking intro., I wouldn't have watched this one.

As for the intro itself, the Babel Tower through the Ages was clever, but I still fail to see why that tower represents an epic Civ game? Sure...mankind's greatest achievement, etc., but that tower was made by a UNIFIED effort...and from what I know about Civ 3, it's still very war focussed.

No big deal. It's pretty enough, I suppose. (I also argued for NO intro...instead use the saved money and time for a better interface...but there you have it.)

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 15, 2001, 02:55   #54
Mister Pleasant

Just downloaded it (on a 56k modem no less) and I must say I like it. It has a CTP-ish feel to it. But of course I liked CTP, and I thought their intro movies were cool. Only complaint is that they should have gone for a more sepia-hued look - a bit much yellow for my taste . . .

Old October 15, 2001, 08:29   #55
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I liked the intro, but it wasn't anything earth shattering. I think the artists were really inspired by the tower of babel.

BTW, I bet this will be a new wonder. What do you think? Any evidence of that yet?
Old October 15, 2001, 08:30   #56
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:41
My enthusiasm level sharply dropped after seeing the movie. Complete crap.
Old October 15, 2001, 08:57   #57
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Thanks to Poly for the mirror. I still say my idea of a unlocking intro would have been great. In this case, the more 'milestones' you reach in your games (could take ...should take... several games, of course) a bit more of the intro 'unlocks' until you can see the entire thing.
I think Easter Eggs like this are really good. It gives you a sense of achievement above and beyond a victory in a single game could. The Sims had a thing like this (in the loosest comparison possible ) where after playing a game for over 100 (game) days, they displayed bio's of the people who made the game. Good idea, Yin
Old October 15, 2001, 09:16   #58
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles

As for the chap who said nothing is better than the AOK intro, I beg to differ. Have you ever seen the Homeworld intro?
yes, I have seen the Homeworld intro. I said that AoK was the best because I was only comparing games of the same genre. Homeworld is not the same genre as civ3.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 16, 2001, 00:21   #59
Chuckles
King

Ya that's true.

Still no explaination for the Canada Geese flying past the tower of Babel.