Old October 17, 2001, 22:38   #61
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Isaac was indeed warned by Markos in the past, something to the effect of: "I'm tired of seeing that kind of language from you. Do it again and you'll earn a vacation."

Markos is right. Try your luck again, Isaac, and see how long your NEXT vacation will be. Lord knows I criticize at times, but I find cursing at people the way you did to be way out of line.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 17, 2001, 22:39   #62
isaac brock
Warlord

Local Time: 09:43
I admit it was out of line. A strict warning would be just as effective though. If he had a problem at any time he could say "I'll ban you if you use that language again." And, as a result, I would have stopped doing that. I was getting carried away. Mark G, however, isn't a benevolent administrator. He's a swift vengeance, old-testament kind of administrator. Is he fair? Not as much as he could be. I'm not asking him to bend over backwards for me. Mark G would spend no more time warning me than banning me. I didn't think of the word pr*ck was as offencive as he did. As a result I was banned for a week. Fair? To those like you, who tremble before the mighty name of Sir Isaac Brock, I suppose it was. But to all those who have well-meaningly offended on the forums, understand my plight.
Old October 17, 2001, 22:42   #63
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:43
to chop liver...errr, i mean Dan Magaha for keeping us updated and interested in his spare time!

for bringing the castle and replay back!
diplomacy
resourse usage and trade thereof
for all the other cool stuff that i forgot to mention (except map and unit graphics/coloring ...my opion there is still out to lunch until Oct 30)
Old October 17, 2001, 22:43   #64
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, now you know that pr!ck is not a socially acceptable word. This is a good thing. Maybe saved you some trouble later on in life.

Quote:
He's a swift vengeance, old-testament kind of administrator. Is he fair? Not as much as he could be.
He's generally fair...but his stripping me of my moderator status in the way he did does give some support for what you are saying. Yes, he can sometimes appear that way. In your case, however, I think it was fair.

Anyway. No harm no foul. You're back and all is well. It seems you are sincere about know you were out of line. As far as I'm concerned, then, it's good to have you back (did I say that? LOL!).

Old October 17, 2001, 22:45   #65
SITS
King

Local Time: 14:43
dp
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 17, 2001, 22:45   #66
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock
I admit it was out of line. A strict warning would be just as effective though. If he had a problem at any time he could say "I'll ban you if you use that language again." And, as a result, I would have stopped doing that. I was getting carried away. Mark G, however, isn't a benevolent administrator. He's a swift vengeance, old-testament kind of administrator. Is he fair? Not as much as he could be. I'm not asking him to bend over backwards for me. Mark G would spend no more time warning me than banning me. I didn't think of the word pr*ck was as offencive as he did. As a result I was banned for a week. Fair? To those like you, who tremble before the mighty name of Sir Isaac Brock, I suppose it was. But to all those who have well-meaningly offended on the forums, understand my plight.
I don't it was so much the word pr!ck but the context you used it in. It was uncalled for.

Anyways as Yin says Welcome Back! And I hope your stay isn't interupted by forced vacations!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 17, 2001, 22:45   #67
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:43
hey, stop hijacking the thread already!
go make a new thread about how the admins are not good to the users, and i'll join you
Old October 17, 2001, 22:53   #68
isaac brock
Warlord

Well, it's good, to be back, I'll admit, but it's for the last time. As I respond to my thread, it seems more and more ridiculous to bother. It is ludicrous to spend time on this speculatory and useless forum about a game no one owns. As a result, Sir General Isaac Brock, the late saviour of Upper Canada, must retire from these forums. Loved by many, whether openly or privately, I was driven out by a heartless half-mule, half-moderator, and many possibly well-meaning, but mostly evil naysayers. I won't miss any of you, the time I wasted on you has been more than any mere mortal could bear. Good night, and good luck.
Old October 17, 2001, 22:56   #69
SITS
King

Quote:
Well, it's good, to be back, I'll admit, but it's for the last time. As I respond to my thread, it seems more and more ridiculous to bother. It is ludicrous to spend time on this speculatory and useless forum about a game no one owns. As a result, Sir General Isaac Brock, the late saviour of Upper Canada, must retire from these forums. Loved by many, whether openly or privately, I was driven out by a heartless half-mule, half-moderator, and many possibly well-meaning, but mostly evil naysayers. I won't miss any of you, the time I wasted on you has been more than any mere mortal could bear. Good night, and good luck.
Don't forget to shut the door after you.

Edit: Mark posted on 1/9/01 'isaac brock, the next time i see a comment like this by you, you'll find yourself on a "vacation" from the forums' when you refered to someone as an 'ass rapist.'

That to me seems like a clear warning. Thread can be found here.

(Nemo - threadjack over)

Last edited by SITS; October 17, 2001 at 23:03.
Old October 17, 2001, 23:21   #70
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

How do you all feel knowing you have driven a fellow member off of the forums? I for one am saddened by the loss of Isaac. He brought some goodness to these here forums by contributing to discussions and voicing his opinions. Even though he used inappropriate language to get his point across, does that make what he has to say less important then yours? Does it make his opinions less valid? I say shame on you all, especially you SITS for taking pleasure in his departure.

Shame on you all.

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto
Old October 17, 2001, 23:28   #71
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jerkwaterbox
How do you all feel knowing you have driven a fellow member off of the forums? I for one am saddened by the loss of Isaac. He brought some goodness to these here forums by contributing to discussions and voicing his opinions. Even though he used inappropriate language to get his point across, does that make what he has to say less important then yours? Does it make his opinions less valid? I say shame on you all, especially you SITS for taking pleasure in his departure.

Shame on you all.
I took pleasure in his over dramatic departure - not the departure itself.

Please read what I wrote before about how valid his opinions were.

Nemo - Sorry about this...

er, to Firaxis for improving trade model...

Old October 17, 2001, 23:39   #72
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

I personally see nothing wrong with the way he expresses his opinions. There is nothing wrong with swear words, we only think there is. There is no difference between swear words and regular words. We have been taught by society that swear words are wrong and should not be used. Think about it. If throughout the ages 'hog' had been considered the most offensive word out of them all(like the f word today), do you think we would use so freely it today? I know you all think I am just a jibber-jabbering moron, but when you sit and think about it, it might make more sense.

Old October 17, 2001, 23:54   #73
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Wow! How on topic on we?

My earlier post about the whole American/British thing was in response to some earlier conversation here. To me, it doesn't really matter if the English are called 'English', or 'British'. But if any English people (or is that British?) have a preference, I would just call them whatever they wanted to be called.

But what does everyone else think about the Aerial View for cities? I think it is a nice extra
Old October 17, 2001, 23:57   #74
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

jerkwaterbox: You are right, of course, only in theory. Walk to a black inner-city neighborhood in Chicago and yell: "Hey ni**ers! Watermelon on sale today only!"

Hope you have some good handouts ready to explain your theory then.

Old October 18, 2001, 00:07   #75
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Look- they called the U.S. 'Americans', even though the United States of America is a nation IN the Americas (and so is the Iroquois in a sense). So, they are calling the 'English'- Britains. Is this not true? Aren't the English also Britains? So what? Get over it please. Either way- Americans vs U.S.A.; English vs Britains; why does it matter?
Well as I said in another thread -----

Ironwood had made the comment -
Quote:
Militaristic: A society can be considered "militaristic" when it considers military prowess to be a virture, usually a "manly" virtue. A culture that values the ability of raiders to defeat their tribal enemies would be considered militarist. A culture that believes every able bodied male should maintain some sort of military training, and his own weapons, would be considered militarist. The Greeks had a code like this (brought to it's full measure in the Spartans), as did the Germanic tribes (and the Germans up until after WWII). The Romans were like this (only warriors could vote in Rome). Once could say that while the Anglish were like this (continued in the attempts to force a militia system on the populace in their early days) the English (or rather, the British) were not.

Hense my reply --------

Excuse me for just a wee second.......

..... anglish...... sigh...... I don't know what's with people these days......

Now I vill say zis only WANZE

The English, being people from England are called English.
The Scottish, being people from Scotland, are called Scottish.
The Welsh, being people from Wales, are called Welsh.
The Northern Irish, being people from Nothern Ireland ( that is to say Nothern Ireland rather than northern ireland as it is a name not a description ) are called Northern Irish.
The church of England is the Anglican church.
The forfathers of those currently living in the land we call England, they themselves being called English, were called the Angles and the Saxons.
The Forefathers to the Scots, those being the people living in the lands we call Scotland, were the Scots....... from Ireland.

The British, being people from the united body reffered to as Great Britain are called the British, NOT the English.
The English, being people from England are called the English, NOT the Anglish.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, that being the generally recognised greatest authority on the English Language, that being the English mode of English, spoken by those in England as opposed to the American mode of English, spoken by those in America, has NO, I repeat NO, record of the word Anglish EVER having existed.

British can be used to describe someone from Great Britian. English can only be used to describe someone from ENGLAND. People from Great Britain CAN be English, but not all people from Great Britain are English.

Great Britain is the term now used for what was the British Empire. The majority of it's lands, that is not to say those oweing allegiance to the Crown on Great Britian, it's sovreign being Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, that is just to say those land currently conisder to be Great Britian, the majority of those lands are in the British Isles.

The largest single governing body within the British Isles is the United Kingdom of Great Britain ( or Great Britain, The United Kingdom, Britain or the UK if you prefer )

When the British Empire was the largest single governing entity in the world the parts of it were NOT part of the United Kingdom. They were part of the British Empire.

A citizen of the British Empire is British.
A citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, that being the large governing body in the British Isles can also be refered to as British.
Members of the British Empire, that being the empire not inclusive to that which is refered to as The United Kingdom of Great Britain, when the Empire was still in existence were all either conquered by soldiers acting on behalf of the Sovreign and Government of The United Kingdom of Great Britain as it existed at the time or had been colonised by order of Sovreign and Government of The United Kingdom of Great Britain as it existed at the time comprising mainly of citizens of The British Empire.

Which is why they were British.

Anyone in the British Empire was British.

They were subjects.

Scotland, was never conquered.

The United Kingdom is called the United Kingdom because it is a Monarchic Political Entity comprised of Unified States.

Those Unified States of the United Kingdom are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Those from England are English and British.
Those from Scotland are Scottish and British.
Those from Wales are Welsh and British.
Those from Northen Ireland are Irish and British.

Those from Wales are British but not English.
Those from Northern Ireland are British but not English

And of most personal importance to myself, given I am from Scotland is;

Those from Scotland are British BUT NOT ENGLISH.

The English are British and speak English.
The Scots are British and speak English.
The British are British and speak English.

But the British are NOT all English

AND OF MORE PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE -

The Scottish are NOT ENGLISH.

And with that in mind I would prefer if you did not make comments as :

quote:

Once could say that while the Anglish were like this (continued in the attempts to force a militia system on the populace in their early days) the English (or rather, the British) were not.

When it should be;

Once could say that while the English were like this (continued in the attempts to force a militia system on the populace in their early days) the British were not.

THERE IS NO RATHER ABOUT IT.

Also I am pissed enough as it is at Firaxis for making the civilization 'The British' and not 'The English' right now so......

No, it doesn't make sense to you but thats cause you aren't Scottish. That being someone from Scotland ( meaning I don't care if all four of your Great Grandmothers were, it doesn't mean you are. )

Sorry to go on but really....... ANGLISH!!!!!!! To Describe the English. Because you were saving up English to describe those from Great Britain.

People from the USA are called Americans.
The USA is called America
People from the USA are Americans ( all )
People who are American are from the USA.

( we're talking America the short form you United States of America as opposed the the continental landmass )

However as I said you can't just pretend the English and British are exchangable terms meaning the same, they DON'T.

You'll probably never understand..........
Old October 18, 2001, 00:25   #76
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I don't know what to say.

I do understand though- I have always understood the difference in saying 'English' as opposed to 'British'. My point is that if I see some Londoner hanging around (not Scottsman, not an Irish Lass, but a Londoner) I will ask that person, "Pardon me, do you prefer to be called an Englander or a Britanian?", at which point I get a scowl.

I guess you are just being sensitive on this whole issue.

But in terms of the game, I don't see it being a big deal either way, in the same way that I don't care that I am called an American, even though I live in the U.S., and even though some of my American friends live in Canada, and that Mexicans are never called Americans.

Last edited by Sarxis; October 18, 2001 at 00:32.
Old October 18, 2001, 00:50   #77
Basil
Warlord

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
"Pardon me, do you prefer to be called an Englander or a Britanian?", at which point I get a scowl.
No doubt! I've only heard "Englander" used by Nazi characters in bad WWII flicks. (And "Britanian" isn't a word.)
Old October 18, 2001, 01:01   #78
Faboba
King

The way it works -

In Scotland - A Scot does something good - It's a triumph for the Scottish people.
An Englishman does something good - It's a triumph for the British people.

In England - An Englishman does something good - It's a triumph for England.
A Scotsman does something good - It's a triumph for Great Britian.

When something goes wrong we try and blame the Irish.

And we try and give full credit to the Welsh cause everyone loves a Welshman ( maybe it's cause their so less nationally arrogant / prideful ( word? Nope. Don't think so ) than the rest of us are.

Ireland don't care, the southern ones are just in it for a laugh and the northen ones are too busy picking fights with each other over what way they chose to worship the same religion than they ignore everyone else ( except when the 'real' IRA wants to make a point. Then they blow up a car......... No one knows what they mean yet...... they probably don't either. )

Meanwhile my dad is experiencing the wonders of being part of Europe - It's not that Scots can't organise a piss-up in a brewery, but the Germans are widely accepted as the best beer drinkers in Europe, a group from the tourist board are comming over for a drinking binge and invited my dad to come too And very nice of them too............
Old October 18, 2001, 01:03   #79
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Faboba: I think that pretty much summed it up...especially the part about the beer. More people should try to understand world conflict from the standpoint of beer-drinking. Seriously.

Old October 18, 2001, 03:38   #80
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:43
nemo: sorry for threadjack, i just cannot resist

yin: you were a moderator? why did markG take it away from you?
jerkwaterbox: this, again, might be below the belt, but the majority of the people here are much older than you and isaac so your disagreement with the rest of us is understandable. perhaps you two can start a truly free speech forum where you can abuse each other till kingdom come. this is PRIVATE forum and if you do not like the mods, you leave....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 18, 2001, 04:40   #81
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
yin: you were a moderator? why did markG take it away from you?
Ummm. Long story. But even Markos admits I was the best moderator this forum ever had! (true story)

Old October 18, 2001, 11:03   #82
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Let's make this simple...

Is Apolyton a private forum? Yes.
Is Mark the moderator? Yes.
As such does he have the RIGHT to do whatever he pleases to people who visit his PRIVATE forum? YES.

You stepped over a boundary that Mark felt warranted your banning so you were gone. If you want free speech and the ability to say what ytou want then open your own forum. Until then, stop whining about what is "fair" and how 'mean' Mark was. He warned you once that your language was inappropriate, he didn't need to spoon feed you a warning, you should have been intelligent enough to understand what he said. Everyone else did.
Old October 18, 2001, 14:37   #83
Faboba
King

No Markos is the admin....... which is much more important

What about Dan? Whenever we talk of those that weild the big power round here everyone always forgets Dan!

Four cheers for the Admins! ( divide them out as you see fit )
Old October 18, 2001, 19:52   #84
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hooray!!
Hooray!!
Hooray!!
Hooray!!

Old October 18, 2001, 20:24   #85
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
What about Dan?
Dan is the sane one. That's why you don't see much of him.

Old October 18, 2001, 21:15   #86
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
So the people who post here a lot are the insane ones??
Hmm, by some strange coincidence, your post-count seems rather high, Yin!!
Old October 18, 2001, 21:27   #87
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

If an insane man agrees that he's insane, does that mean he's cured?

Old October 18, 2001, 21:55   #88
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26

That is the greatest thing I have heard today.

Old October 18, 2001, 22:14   #89
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Originally posted by jerkwaterbox

That is the greatest thing I have heard today.
You sure sound a lot like Isaac.. your names were registered around the same time too.. Funny how life has these little "coinsidinces".