Old January 17, 2000, 03:27   #1
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
What Ability Combinations Confuse The AI?
This is too all people who mess around with units, mods, ect.
I am trying to determine the things which "confuse" the AI in what it builds.

1. certain slots seem to have "inalienable" properties for example a unit in the "rifleman" or "alpine" slot tends to be built a great deal regardlessly.

2. The AI will try to build the highest defense rating unit regardless of cost in most cities, so don't make 200 shield "Fuhrerbunkers" available on their build list.

3. Units with paratroop powers will rarely be used aggressively, only to occupy and defend. If you make a para type unit ATTACK, then the AI will use it like it uses Marines, not using paradrops. example: My "orbital laser" unit was a paradropping cruise missile. i) won't attack with paratroopers very much. ii) won't attack cities with CM type units very much.

4. Sub units on land: we've all tried it for the "invisiblity" but it confuses the AI which keeps them in ports as subs.

5. CM ground units. These work better if not in the original CM slot.

6. Horse units: we all know than 2hp, 1 fire, 2 move units are horses, but apparently the "horseman" slot is innately a horseman.

7. Making wacky things carriers. The AI doesn't use them.

8. Wacky diplos/spies. Tried to create a Commando, cross between Marine, paratrooper, and Spy. The AI doesn't like wacky Spies.

9. Alternate caravans: if anyone knows of a way to make an air or sea freight, it would be nice. Great for WW1 or WW2 scens..

Anything I missed?
Old January 18, 2000, 02:15   #2
Mark von Wagner
Prince

1) The AI will not use the unit in the "carrier" slot. Carriers in any other slot will be used.

2) The unit in the "Partisans" slot is a partisan, regardless of any other attributes.

3) The units in the Legion, Archers, Musketeers, Fanatics, Partisans, Horsemen, Cavalry, Artillery, and Crusaders slots will be used as barbarian units, and the units in the "caravel" and "galleon" slots will be used to transport them.

4) The AI considers any attack by a unit in the cruise missile slot against a strong unit to be a good attack.

Mark
Old January 18, 2000, 02:56   #3
Fast_Eddie

Well, I just heard from sombody that they got the computer to use the carrier when they moved the defense up to 18 or something. So ha!

Old January 18, 2000, 17:56   #4
Seeker
Emperor

Fast E: He said his "supercarrier" wasn't in the original slot.
Old January 18, 2000, 18:57   #5
Fast_Eddie

Didn't hear that part...

Old January 19, 2000, 11:24   #6
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 20:04
1. The AI never uses sea units with a settler role to transform ocean into some kind of land. It does build them, but they sit around and do nothing.
2. The AI goes crazy building cruise missiles, sometimes to the point of neglecting defense.
3. I've also tried making sea caravans without success and I've never heard of anyone doing this.
4. You can give caravans the paratrooper flag, which makes them really mobile.