Old October 15, 2001, 18:32   #1
Nuctemeronn
Settler

Local Time: 14:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which is the best for Total Conquer?
Of course, can't get a valid answer until the game is released, but which combo is the best for a Warmonger, like me?

* Militaristic + Religious (Aztecs, Japanese)
* Militaristic + Expansionist (Zulus)
* Expansionist + Religious (Iroquois)

I think expansionist + militaristic is good, but with the lack of Fundamentalism, religious abilities come in handy, so...

Cya!
Old October 15, 2001, 18:49   #2
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 08:44
i think you left out the one that will prove the best, militaristic + scientific

but i haven't played the game, so i don't know
Old October 15, 2001, 19:25   #3
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:44
The Romans! (Militaristic + Commercial)

Militaristic: Obviously to increase the military.
Commercial: Why? Because you rake in extra cash, and since units are maintained with cash and not production, more money = more units!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 15, 2001, 19:49   #4
YefeiPi
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:44
I still am not very happy with goddamn firaxis decision to change Chinese from scientific to militaristic. However, not it is a war machine! Look at the industrious and militaristic combination for the Chinese, plus a strong UU, the rider (4-4-3). Guess I will be kicking other civs asses with them!
Old October 15, 2001, 19:59   #5
Rosacrux
Warlord

Local Time: 14:44
On smaller maps, the Zulus shall have a great advantage: Expansionist (free scout, cool goody hats) and militaristic (cheap units and so).

Parred with the early UU, this could prove an enormous advantage for early massive conquest.

If they don't smash opposition though, they'll suffer at latter stages... So, in big maps the Chinese and the Roman seem to be more equiped to conquer.

Just guessing, though
Old October 16, 2001, 14:21   #6
knott
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:44
Germany

Si vis pacem, para bellum /Vegetius
Old October 16, 2001, 15:00   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
gotta love panzers + science + military
Old October 16, 2001, 15:23   #8
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 07:44
Quote:
Originally posted by YefeiPi
I still am not very happy with goddamn firaxis decision to change Chinese from scientific to militaristic. However, not it is a war machine! Look at the industrious and militaristic combination for the Chinese, plus a strong UU, the rider (4-4-3). Guess I will be kicking other civs asses with them!
They changed China to Militaristic?! Well, I suppose. One of them did produce the worlds greatest military treatise. But I consider that to be the result of a thinker applying his mind to the science of warfare, rather than a war monger putting his thoughts (or lack therof) into words. My impression of militarist culture is one that values military prowess as a manly virtue, like the Germans, like the Romans, like the Japanese, like the Spartans (both in history and in SMAC) and, we can presume (I'll trust Firaxis on this, not having my own info), the Zulus and the Aztecs.

I've actually studied Chinese history, and though they are known for their military achievements, that was not the result of a culture love of warfare, but rather of a solid concept of leadership, how to train, how to deploy, how to utilize, how to avoid disasters. If you read Sun Tzu's "Art of War", you realize that it's not a book extolling the virtues of valour and prowess, but rather the virtues of careful planning and thought. Indeed, had they been a militaristic culture, they would not have been conquered by the Mongols.

You may as well go back to calling Americans "Militarist." And this is the one thing I will use the editor to change. As I am generally reluctant to change the package as purchased, you can see how strongly I feel about this.
Take me as I am.