Old October 15, 2001, 19:54   #1
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
so this is the civ community?
it's so obvious, yet it happens again at again. whenever you see a major release, board pressure (for lack of a better term) builds up...namely, the bashing of people with any and all doubts as to the quality of a game with a 'fanatical' following. and when the release date comes and the product is cahrapo, look who wished they hadn't been so blinded.

your bashing of "pessimists" is stupid and based soley on the money you will or have spent on something your mind tells you will be good for God knows what reason. You've heard a fraction of what you need to know about the game to justify a purchase, and you haven't confirmed nearly enough to flame those who argue your position.

people don't come here to read "I love you, Firaxis!" and Magaha love fests. believe it or not, with the flood of newer users, people come for an objective review of the product and, once registered, a varying opinion.

civ3 might be good. but then again it might not. we've lost sight of the fact that it's a game. we've seen SMAC, ctp, ctp2, ToT...no Firaxis TBS game, or recent Civ game, has been as good as some of you dream of civ3 being. Actually, all we've got to go on is the five year old civ2 which many of you now dislike.

So be open. We've all got high hopes, but this flaming and shunning is childish and ignorant. Don't come here to justify your lost nights of sleep or spent $60, come here to talk about civ3 and how great it might be, but be tolerant of those who think otherwise.

like horse said, it's just a game anyway. don't go too far with it...

Last edited by Wiglaf; October 15, 2001 at 23:10.
Old October 15, 2001, 19:59   #2
squid
Warlord

Local Time: 14:44
if you think otherwise, what value do you have in staying here to complain? Perhaps you should find another game to worship if this isn't your bag? Gosh it's like a fan club for a game where half the people here are really just protesters! It doesn't work.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:15   #3
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by squid
if you think otherwise, what value do you have in staying here to complain? Perhaps you should find another game to worship if this isn't your bag? Gosh it's like a fan club for a game where half the people here are really just protesters! It doesn't work.
I agree

But what he is saying is that we should all be negative so that we dont sound happy If someone wants to be happy and worship sid, its there oppinion, if they are trying to be positive what right do you have to tell them not to be ?

About the pessemist bashing. I know all positive oppinion has been bashed by the pessimists so who are they to tell us not to retaliate?!? Thats would be like America apeaseing Bin Laden after he hit the WTC and not responding (I know its abstract but im sitting here watching the news). If I want to say something thats not of your oppinion im allowed to without you telling me to shut up!

I really wish everyone would drop the whole pessimist vs optimist thing, its really childish, but I won't tell people to do that becouse were allowed to express our oppinions.

Also, why does everyone here take this forum so seriusly? Ive said it before and ill say it again, whether the game is god or crap tommorow still comes...
Old October 15, 2001, 20:22   #4
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:44
Quote:
Originally posted by splangy

Also, why does everyone here take this forum so seriusly? Ive said it before and ill say it again, whether the game is god or crap tommorow still comes...
You meant good, right?
Old October 15, 2001, 20:37   #5
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by squid
it's under a month to release...all the fanatics are set loose and start making stupid rash statements about the perfection of something that they haven't even touched...that's a much bigger reason to leave to make room for rational conversation

Quote:
But what he is saying is that we should all be negative so that we dont sound happy
being "happy" is different...please reread my post
Old October 15, 2001, 20:42   #6
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf

it's under a month to release...all the fanatics are set loose and start making stupid rash statements about the perfection of something that they haven't even touched...that's a much bigger reason to leave to make room for rational conversation
You havent touched it either! that is why I really dont see any point in debating its future yet...

Quote:
being "happy" is different...please reread my post
Ummm, I wasen't really adressing your post, I was adressing the pessemistic opinions your trying to protect...

Also, I find it funny how you ignored my entire post, I wonder why
Old October 15, 2001, 21:02   #7
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
lso, I find it funny how you ignored my entire post, I wonder why
ok

Quote:
If someone wants to be happy and worship sid, its there oppinion, if they are trying to be positive what right do you have to tell them not to be ?
being 'positive' is different from flaming and looking down on "pessimists"...people of varying viewpoints shouldn't be shunned or whatever as has happened before and, judging by the general mood of these forums, it's happening again, and it's pretty pathetic

Quote:
About the pessemist bashing. I know all positive oppinion has been bashed by the pessimists so who are they to tell us not to retaliate?!? Thats would be like America apeaseing Bin Laden after he hit the WTC and not responding (I know its abstract but im sitting here watching the news). If I want to say something thats not of your oppinion im allowed to without you telling me to shut up!
ok, but the whole whining thing has to end eventually, and it starts by you not bombing osama bin laden, or whatever. pessimists that bash are just as bad, but not all nay sayers are as issac-brockish as most 'optimists'...actually yin is the only person on these boards who goes out of his way to argue about civ3, and even he has a worse reputation than he deserves...some of his points are very valid

Quote:
I really wish everyone would drop the whole pessimist vs optimist thing
agreed to a certain extent

Quote:
You havent touched it either! that is why I really dont see any point in debating its future yet...
generally, all sweeping and rash statements are stupid as well

and splangy, I rarely fully respond to long posts bit by bit, but instead I try to respond to the gist of it, which I think I did

Quote:
that doesn't address me, I don't think, and if it does please reread my original post
Old October 15, 2001, 21:05   #8
Chronus
Prince

The ironic thing about all this is that both camps (if you can call them as such) are guilty of the same things and yet insist that it is the other camp that is wrong, intolerant, whatever.

I hope it's obvious that I'm not refering to every individual, just the overall sentiments. Then again, each camp may simply have their 5% minority of big mouths who create 95% of the bashing.
Old October 15, 2001, 21:24   #9
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 15:44
www.civfanatics.com FOR A TRUE fanatical following of the civ series
Old October 15, 2001, 21:37   #10
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:44
Wiglaf: Excellent post!

For the record: I never attack the optimists until they come hunting me down for expressing my opinions. And even then I look for the first opportunity to move on. What I do and will continue to attack, however, are things like hyping a feature and then only announcing at the 12th hour that you'll have to pay for it (most likely) separately God knows when.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 15, 2001, 22:48   #11
Tolkien
Settler

Local Time: 07:44
Quote:
ok, but the whole whining thing has to end eventually, and it starts by you not bombing osama bin laden, or whatever.
what the f-ck is this supposed to mean!? are you saying 'we' americans don't have the right to bomb that bastard that killed more than 5,000 innocent people? I am an american, and it pisses me off when other people from around the world tell us (americans) we don't have the right to retaliate - I got into an argument like this on battle.net/diablo2 LoD last night. we have all the rights in the world to do so...and we will do it! if it was up to me we would be bombing 'til dooms day. They pissed me and the rest of americans off, I think worse than ever before...and will recieve their reward for doing such.
Old October 15, 2001, 23:06   #12
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

tol...calm down..it was a reference to splangy's analogy, that was heavily flawed. retaliation for a flame on a message board is much different from retaliation for a terrorist attack, obviously, and that's what I was pointing out, not a political viewpoint or anything.

and yin, that sort of talk can get you kicked out of our fan club
Old October 15, 2001, 23:15   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Re: so this is the civ community?
Quote:
your bashing of "pessimists" is stupid and based soley on the money you will or have spent on something your mind tells you will be good for God knows what reason. You've heard a fraction of what you need to know about the game to justify a purchase, and you haven't confirmed nearly enough to flame those who argue your position.

people don't come here to read "I love you, Firaxis!" and Magaha love fests. believe it or not, with the flood of newer users, people come for an objective review of the product and, once registered, a varying opinion.
But the 'pessimist' team isn't objectively criticising the 'product', but rather the developer's public relations. The whole argument was spawned out of the expressed disappointment of MP being delayed, but it quickly degraded into a criticism of Firaxis' lack of PR on the subject, and then further degraded into numerous character slurs and bashings.

I for one agree that Firaxis could have (and still can) heal many hurts with one simple post of explanation, but at the same time, their obligation to do so, and the arguement that states they are obligated, is pretty much nill.

Now, the 'optimists' are not any better in that they have also flamed and bashed with the best of them.

Quote:
This may be true, but then how is it possible for the pessimists to have enough info to criticise the game?

And I, and many tens of thousands of others, have heard MORE than enough to justify a purchase of CivIII, if buying a game that may very well be the ruin of us can ever be 'justified'.
Old October 15, 2001, 23:26   #14
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
But the 'pessimist' team isn't objectively criticising the 'product', but rather the developer's public relations. The whole argument was spawned out of the expressed disappointment of MP being delayed, but it quickly degraded into a criticism of Firaxis' lack of PR on the subject, and then further degraded into numerous character slurs and bashings.
the product itself may well be awesome, but it's the 50-50-90 rule. if you don't know, it's more than likely not going your way. while we (they) can't argue about the game itself as the optimists magically can, pessimists have previous releases (smac, ctp, ctp2, tot) and various other options previously stated to go on.

Quote:
This may be true, but then how is it possible for the pessimists to have enough info to criticise the game?
the lack of info is one of the driving forces...with a lack of information and nothing but a laundry list of promised filler, it's only natural to argue with a bunch of fanatical supporters of the unreleased game, and attack the product itself for varying reasons (not enough dev time, etc)

Quote:
And I, and many tens of thousands of others, have heard MORE than enough to justify a purchase of CivIII.
namely?
Old October 15, 2001, 23:34   #15
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
www.civfanatics.com FOR A TRUE fanatical following of the civ series
BAN THE HERETIC!

BOO HISS!

Quote:
As Horsie said, its just a game...
this from a guy with 10,000 posts...
Old October 15, 2001, 23:40   #16
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

so one thread would make a difference? and splangy, what was that about not fully answering posts?
Old October 16, 2001, 00:10   #17
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

And here we go again:

Quote:
the product itself may well be awesome, but it's the 50-50-90 rule. if you don't know, it's more than likely not going your way. while we (they) can't argue about the game itself as the optimists magically can, pessimists have previous releases (smac, ctp, ctp2, tot) and various other options previously stated to go on.
If the pessimists have previous releases to go on, what makes you think the optimists don't have those SAME releases to base their arguements by?

Quote:
the lack of info is one of the driving forces...with a lack of information and nothing but a laundry list of promised filler, it's only natural to argue with a bunch of fanatical supporters of the unreleased game, and attack the product itself for varying reasons (not enough dev time, etc)
Very unfounded statements. Laundry list of filler? You are exagerating now.

The only lack of info we have had, is that MP was not going to be released with the game. However, I have to state that this info WAS actually given to us three weeks (roughly) in advance of CivIII's release. Now, I know that many people went on the Firaxis statement that MP was 'in' waaaay back when, but as I have said before- disclaimers were probably in place. Things change. Nothing is concrete, and all that.

Also, the product itself is taking a second place to Firaxograme's policies in the pessimists attacks (as I already have said).

Quote:
namely?
Shall I post 500 screenshots, numerous interviews and comments by the devs, Civ of the Week, Ask the Civ Team, preview videos, etc., here for you?

Last edited by Sarxis; October 16, 2001 at 00:19.
Old October 16, 2001, 00:25   #18
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:

I think the mood right now is one of excitment and hope for a great game and people don't want to hear that the game sucks or Firaxis sucks. Many have been waiting for this game for 2 1/2 years the last thing they need is someone trash talking. No one really knows about the game and Firaxis does not suck they are a good solid game company.
However, once the game is out I know that people will post objective reviews about the game. If it sucks and they will post that it does and no one will sugar coat it because everyone loves Sid or Firaxis.

Another thought. How come it's ok for someone to come on this site and say Firaxis sucks or the Civ3 sucks but when someone challenges "pessimist" on their statement it is immediately called "flaming" or "ganging up"?
Old October 16, 2001, 00:31   #19
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Simpleton: I agree that now is the euphoric 'shiny box' phase of things. Those are times when criticism is seen as a bigger deal than it is by people who have great hopes, etc. Wait until we find some bugs...and who will step up to the plate then.

Quote:
yin, that sort of talk can get you kicked out of our fan club
LOL!

Old October 16, 2001, 00:34   #20
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Simpleton: I agree that now is the euphoric 'shiny box' phase of things. Those are times when criticism is seen as a bigger deal than it is by people who have great hopes, etc. Wait until we find some bugs...and who will step up to the plate then.

LOL!
Yah I agree. I myself have been more sensitive recently because I want/need this game to be good! I don't want to consider the possibility that it might suck. When somebody throws spoiled milk in my face I get testy. I hope that if the game sucks everyone will see it for what it is - crap.
However, I am an optimist.
Old October 16, 2001, 00:45   #21
Sarxis
Emperor

Good observations in human psychology guys
Old October 16, 2001, 00:46   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well said. I hope the game is great, too. (...though I'll still wait for MP...)

Old October 16, 2001, 01:06   #23
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
One thing the pessemists all seem to have in common is their utter conviction that the game will be dreadful. I suppose this could be cuased by them being jaded after CTP but really people. if you can't look forward to it like the rest of us, then wait and see it before bashing it huh?

Quote:
namely, the bashing of people with any and all doubts as to the quality of a game with a 'fanatical' following. and when the release date comes and the product is cahrapo, look who wished they hadn't been so blinded.
Yeah but you'll all be gutted if it turns out to be as good a game as it could be. I mean, they've put the work in there.

Quote:
people don't come here to read "I love you, Firaxis!" and Magaha love fests. believe it or not,
Speak for yourself. I like magaha love fests. They give me warn fuzzy feelings.
Old October 16, 2001, 02:07   #24
Sarxis
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
One thing the pessemists all seem to have in common is their utter conviction that the game will be dreadful.
Actually, this is not true. A great deal of what the pessimists are stating has to deal with the exclusion of MP at the initial release, as well as a few other details/features that are not up to their expectations, and not that the game will supposedly be 'dreadful'.

Gross overstatements and generalizations are part of the problem with these arguements, on both sides of the debate(s).
Old October 16, 2001, 02:25   #25
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:

people don't come here to read "I love you, Firaxis!" and Magaha love fests.
You have just caused the collapse of my world!
Old October 16, 2001, 03:07   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
Thanks for trying to inject a bit of calm Wiglaf. Unfortunately any post that mentions optimism or pessimism will be hijacked in the present climate. Both sides have some very excitable people unwilling to moderate their language now we have reached C3-Day minus 15. Current world events mean there are a larger than normal number of angry people out there too.
Old October 16, 2001, 09:41   #27
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
Shall I post 500 screenshots
1) graphics don't matter
2) that's good, because civ's graphics aren't too hot
3) yes, please post all 500

Quote:
numerous interviews and comments by the devs,
find me one gaming company that conducts interviews saying "our product will suck. happy now?"

Quote:
Civ of the Week, Ask the Civ Team, preview videos, etc.
all straight from Firaxis. the civ of the week tells you nothing about how well the balancing is, the ATCT is a waste of canned answers, and the preview videos are hype with no gameplay at all.

Quote:
Very unfounded statements. Laundry list of filler? You are exagerating now.
and having 500 worthwhile screenshots isn't?

all the talk about trade, resources, super AI, etc...it all can't come together perfectly no matter how hard they try. the best chance firaxis has is to minimize the damage.

Quote:
If the pessimists have previous releases to go on, what makes you think the optimists don't have those SAME releases to base their arguements by?
if optimists base their case on how godlike ctp was, they lose by default anyway.

Quote:
Yah I agree. I myself have been more sensitive recently because I want/need this game to be good! I don't want to consider the possibility that it might suck.
exactly, thanks for being honest. now off to optimists anonymous.

Quote:
Another thought. How come it's ok for someone to come on this site and say Firaxis sucks or the Civ3 sucks but when someone challenges "pessimist" on their statement it is immediately called "flaming" or "ganging up"?
pessimists don't say "firaxis sucks"...but when it comes to pointing out glaring and obvious shortcomings, optimists always fall back on that "why don't they leave" garbage, and totally forget that civ3 is a game, and it has the same chance of being poor as all the other products out there, only given the extreme hype, even more so.

Quote:
Thanks for trying to inject a bit of calm Wiglaf.
the fanatics pounced on it earlier than I expected
Old October 16, 2001, 10:33   #28
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold

Current world events mean there are a larger than normal number of angry people out there too.
I have felt that already.

Last edited by Rasbelin; October 16, 2001 at 10:49.
Old October 16, 2001, 12:21   #29
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

peace to all nations
and all civers