Old October 15, 2001, 20:10   #1
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 06:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What was the "Dan Quayle" screen?
One of the ask the civ team q and a's mentioned that. WHat info does it provide?
Old October 15, 2001, 20:11   #2
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:44
It just compares you to great world leaders. Danny was the lowest possible rank.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:12   #3
SteveJH
Warlord

From what I've heard it compares you to great/bad leaders of the real world in the past.
Old October 16, 2001, 00:15   #4
Chuckles
King

When you retire it calculates your score, then the percentage based on difficulty, then ranked you against world leaders. I tried looking for some old saved games, but I do not seem to have any of my most glorious civs saved. The best saved game I had left only covers about 2/3 of the list, starting from the bottom:

Sire, your Civilisation Rating of 60% exceeds even Winston Churchill.

Winston Churchill
Cleopatra
Charles De Gaulle
Vladimir Lenin
Simon Bolivor
Otto von Bismark
Eric the Red
Kaiser Wilhelm
Louis the XVI
Neville Chamberlain
Ferdinand Marcos
Emperor Nero
Dan Quayle

If anyone else can supply the rest of the list... I remember Queen Victoria or someone high up on the list.
Old October 16, 2001, 00:18   #5
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:44
this is back in civ3, right?
Old October 16, 2001, 03:23   #6
Kurgan
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:44
I remember that one of the highest was king Solomon
Old October 16, 2001, 03:29   #7
fanatic civver
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The "dan quayle" screen was in civ 1. It comes up when you have finished the game or retired. It is the same as the ranking screen at the end of the game in civ 2 which said "xxx the weak, xxx the tough" etc etc. The only difference is that civ 2's list was really boring while civ 1's list you could compare yourself to the greatest leaders in the history of the world. As a newbie it was fun to try to get higher each game until you finally revealed the entire list of people.

Solomon the Wise was on top.

It is coming back to civ 3.
Old October 17, 2001, 05:04   #8
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:44
hehehe, dan was simply excellent
do you think they had to remove dubbya from the list before going gold or is the list only for ex-occupants of the white house?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 17, 2001, 05:05   #9
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
I remember that one of the highest was king Solomon
yet another example of zionist conspiracy
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 17, 2001, 07:10   #10
Doctor Bob
Settler

The highest was Charlemagne.
Old October 17, 2001, 08:42   #11
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
hehehe, dan was simply excellent
do you think they had to remove dubbya from the list before going gold or is the list only for ex-occupants of the white house?
George Bush was never on the list. Since they seemed to only have VP's, I guess the lowest, non office holding VP would be Gore, although they could make an exception to Clinton. Maybe a "you're as trusted as" in population approval and start with Clinton at the bottom topped by Reagan and Roosevelt at the top..

Since there seems to be a way to piss your population off through forced labour and mis-dealings both at home and abroad, why not have an approval ranking?
Old October 17, 2001, 08:50   #12
LaRusso
King

ehhehe, good idea!
well i thought that those east coast bleeding liberal firaxians might have thought of including dubbya down there with quayle before 9/11....i am sure he is not on the list now
approval rating would be great! wait a sec...i think it WAS in civ 2...or was it civ1.... no, i reckon it was civ2! it was, IIRC in some statistics screen.....
Old October 17, 2001, 09:53   #13
Orlando
Settler

Kurgan is correct. In Civ 1 the greatest ruler to be compared to (it required a Civilzation Rating of 125% or higher) was Solomon the Wise.
Old October 17, 2001, 10:28   #14
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Aaaaaaaah I DID wonder...... ( what the **** people were talking about Dan Quale to do with Civ for )

Yet another example of Civ being non-isolationist. They involved great leaders from all over the world and all through history instead of just American presidents ( Sid probably avoided the Presidents in order to not piss anone off, but I think he went overboard to give Churchill 60%, the guy was more than a few trees short of a forest. Lenin and CdG were much better imho.

I wonder if they'll do seperated lists for different things

The risk taking list goes from - "You have balls like Clepatora's chief eunuch" to "You have balls like that really ****ed up squirrel picture - you know the one"

You fight like "a lil' sissy girl" to "you're in a boxing match with a hunger for ears."

Seriously though - I hope they still manage to get some humour into it beyond the monacle they're giving whis-'is-name
Old October 17, 2001, 12:07   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
Churchill was a great war leader, but he should have led and left the military planning to his expert advisors.

Hopefully the list will be editable so you can put your own favourite football managers, movie stars or whatever takes your fancy in their place.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:31   #16
Yoleus
Warlord

De Gaulle?
Charles De Gaulle as a great leader?
I am ok with Napoleon, Louis XIV, Charlemagne.
Give me even Vercingetorix (a bit extreme, just because he dared resist). But I personally think De Gaulle is not on the same line.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:37   #17
Yoleus
Warlord

Suggestion
What about Kublah Kahn, the Saladdin, (what was the name of the biggest Ming chinese emperor?), Charles V (the one who got Austria, Spain, the Flanders and the south american empire in the 16th century and was yet not able to defeat France, please correct me if I am wrong), Julius Caesar (I did not remember him in the previous CivII... maybe I am wrong), Charlemagne, Frederick II (the german emperor born in Sicily)...

Any harsh corrections or criticism accepted
Old October 17, 2001, 12:49   #18
Bronso
Settler

Who was this Dan Quayle guy, actually? An american vice president, I see, but what did he do to deserve the last position in the list?
Old October 17, 2001, 13:13   #19
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

He spelled potato wrong. Not that I think that's deserving of the last place, but it was that event that has led the liberal minded media to lambast him as being stupid.
Old October 17, 2001, 14:18   #20
Orlando
Settler

And if I recall correctly, Neville Chamberlain was just above Quayle.
Old October 17, 2001, 14:39   #21
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

There are many historical leaders that can easily take the place of Dan Quayle, namely Caligula, Emperor of Rome.

I'm sure that Microprose was just poking fun of poor Dan Quayle.
Old October 17, 2001, 14:51   #22
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by fluxcapacitor
He spelled potato wrong. Not that I think that's deserving of the last place, but it was that event that has led the liberal minded media to lambast him as being stupid.
Heh, that and the fact he was a Republican. THe media seem to love to pick Rebublican's apart and not Democrat's as much. Amusing that it's only in the last 5-10 yearsd that the obvious left bias of the US news media is so evident. Not surprising if you consider that the media is mostly based in the North East which is staunchly Democratic.

And I could think of worse politicians Amelia Marcos springs to mind (spent how much money on shoes?)
Old October 17, 2001, 14:56   #23
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Yet another example of Civ being non-isolationist. They involved great leaders from all over the world and all through history instead of just American presidents...
Few societies have produced a "leader" as pointless as the man choosen to make George Bush senior look dynamic and intelligent.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronso
Who was this Dan Quayle guy, actually? An american vice president, I see, but what did he do to deserve the last position in the list?
Dan Quayle once said to a conference of South American leaders: "I wish I'd learned Latin at school so I could speak to you in your own language."

David
Old October 17, 2001, 15:23   #24
Adrien
Settler

There are entire lists of Quayle-isms that prove he's... less bright than average.

For example:

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit as Earth. Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

"I have made good judgments in the Past. I have made good judgments in the Future."

"Perestroika is nothing more than refined Stalinism."
Old October 17, 2001, 18:31   #25
CygnusZ
Warlord

Go read all about America's greatest Vice President:

http://www.xmission.com/~mwalker/DQ/
Old October 17, 2001, 18:54   #26
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

The highest was Solomon the Wise, followed by Charlemagne IIRC. Also in there was Thomas Jefferson, Shogun Tokugawa, I think in that order behind...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 17, 2001, 19:09   #27
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Hey! Where was the greatest leader of them all, Stalin? The true mark of a ruler is how quickly their orders are followed, and his definitely were.
Old October 17, 2001, 20:50   #28
Orlando
Settler

Stalin was not included in the list because he was one of the leader of the Russians in the game if the AI was in control.

I'm fairly certain that none of the AI leaders were on the "Great Leader" list at the endgame scoring.