Old October 16, 2001, 01:26   #1
Barshy
Warlord

Local Time: 14:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do we have to build all the trade route roads?
I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but...

Will the AI be smart/friendly enough to use their workers to build roads linking their cities to your cities for the purpose of trade?

I remember in one post Jeffrey Morris saying that you can build roads in ALL territories, and that he does it all the time with his workers to make trade routes with other nations...

If that's the case, does that mean it is up to the PLAYER to build all/most of the trade routes? Will the computer ever go out of its way to do the same? Does the AI have that capacity?

I really hope so.
Old October 16, 2001, 06:29   #2
old dog
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:45
Are you implying that, if I trade for the Aztec's spices, roads have to be built? Maybe I'm slow, but I hadn't pictured this. I thought that the "connected by road" rule applied just to your own civ's gathering of resources.
Old October 16, 2001, 08:32   #3
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:45
AFAIK, to be able to trade with another civ, there has to be a road (or harbor,or airport) connecting your capitol with theirs.

The AI's willingness to trade is unknown. It may be that they are so clueless as to make you do all the road building to connect you up, then they grab the benefits of trading.

HMMMNNNN..... I wonder if I can use that as leverage in the trade negotiations.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 16, 2001, 08:34   #4
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by old dog
Are you implying that, if I trade for the Aztec's spices, roads have to be built? Maybe I'm slow, but I hadn't pictured this. I thought that the "connected by road" rule applied just to your own civ's gathering of resources.
Connected by road, port, or airport applies to trade inside and outside of your Civ. So you need a connection to another Civ prior to trading with them. From the official FAQ:

"You can trade goods with another civ as long as you have a road, harbor, or airport that connects your civilization with theirs. Once you have a trade route, you simply negotiate with the other civilization in the diplomacy screen."
http://www.civ3.com/faq4.cfm

That said, it would be impossible for the CPU Civs to remain competitive if they did not build decent road networks. Still, you may have to make the final link from your roads to theirs.
Old October 16, 2001, 08:47   #5
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 15:45
It seems to me that on an average map just one harbour should suffice to trade with nearly any other civ.
Old October 16, 2001, 11:05   #6
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 08:45
Since the AI will probably love to build roads in their own territories, I don't think you need to worry about it. You'll just have to connect your roads to the closest road of the other civ.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 16, 2001, 12:44   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
We are going to have to hope the AIs will be smart enough to build colonies and roads thereto. We will NOT be able to build roads inside their territories according to the Civ III site.
Old October 16, 2001, 12:45   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

A Civ AI that didn't build roads all over its country would be more of a shock

With worldbuilder choices seemingly stuck between 60% and 80% ocean in the options screen it is quite likely that the AI won't go roadbuilding through the wilderness to find you but will rely on port to port networks instead. That doen't require it to be more intelligent than founding cities on coastline occasionally.
Old October 16, 2001, 14:39   #9
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:45
I am curious, if it is also possible to build roads in the border of another civ to to complete trade route roads. Or have you first to sign pact for free passage to do so?
Old October 16, 2001, 14:43   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

dan said workers dont violate territoral agreements.
Old October 16, 2001, 14:46   #11
Ironwood
Prince

Um... never mind.
Take me as I am.
Old October 16, 2001, 14:52   #12
Crouchback
Warlord

We're told the AI doesn't need to cheat at lower levels so they are going to need the same access to strategic/luxury resources as we will. Hence they're going to build roads, and everywhere as always.

For my money the other questions are:

1/ Do roads give a commerce bonus so we're going to have to build roads everywhere as well?

2/ Does the AI get a bonus from the use our roads when attacking?

David
Old October 16, 2001, 15:32   #13
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Barshy
If that's the case, does that mean it is up to the PLAYER to build all/most of the trade routes? Will the computer ever go out of its way to do the same? Does the AI have that capacity?
If you want to play efficiently, you must do it yourself.

I also hope that establishing a coastal-city with harbour + switching maps with foreign Civs through diplomacy, isnt by itself enough in order to get those ocean trade-routes.

If above is the case, theres no or little incentive to invest in land-based international trade-routes - why should one? Every AI-civ is likely to have coastal-cities anyway, and if the only additional requirement would be unrevealed maps through diplomatic map-swappings...

I really hope that one must move out and discover - not with endless amounts of camel-equipped caravels, like in Civ-2 . But with 3-5 exploring & oceanic trade-establishing ships - each of them heading in a certain compass direction.

Last edited by Ralf; October 16, 2001 at 15:38.
Old October 16, 2001, 15:44   #14
cyril25376
Warlord

@ UberkruX:
I like your avatar
Old October 16, 2001, 15:55   #15
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 08:45
I would hope that the AI will AT LEAST go halfway and leave the rest to you. It would be real cool if the AI sees a resource you have, is one it wants, and completes the road, or if you absolutely have nothing to offer the AI, it wouldn't build any roads to your cities.
Old October 16, 2001, 16:03   #16
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I hope the AI is smart enough to built roads within it’s own borders.

at UberKurX's new avatar.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:19   #17
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
We are going to have to hope the AIs will be smart enough to build colonies and roads thereto. We will NOT be able to build roads inside their territories according to the Civ III site.
Is this correct? I know that you won't be able to use roads (or railroads) in foreign territory, but I don't recall any restriction on building roads in foreign territory. So if the AI doesn't build roads in your direction, you should be able to go over there with your workers and do it yourself. As someone else mentioned, workers in foreign territory do not violate treaties.

I am very intrigued by this harbors issue. I agree that if simply building a harbor enables you to trade with any other civ you've encountered with a harbor, then the harbor "connection" will be so easy as to render the road "connection" a waste of time. A somewhat better requirement might be you have a harbor, the foreign civ has a harbor, and you've fully explored a sea route from your harbor to their harbor.
Old October 17, 2001, 08:42   #18
Father Beast
King

the harbors thing
Since we know that there will be 3 levels of water (coastal, seas, and oceans), I am wondering how that will affect trade.

For example, if you are the first to brave the seas on the earth map and cross from afrioa to the americas and make contact with the aztecs, will you be able to trade with them, or do you have to wait until they have deep water capabilities?

If you do have to wait, can you trade techs to facilitate their trade ability?

what are the limits of what you can do without a road/harbor/airport connection?

I suppose I could build a city on their land solely for the purpose of trading with them, but if they've filled up the land....

man, I can already see myself as a trading magnate

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old October 17, 2001, 08:58   #19
Yoleus
Warlord

Local Time: 14:45
The little question you were afraid to ask!
Civ A has a road to Civ B, Civ B has a road to Civ C, Civ A has no road to Civ C. No harbours, no airports.
Does A can trade with C? Nobody OWN the roads, I think... because you can build them wherever you want - even in foreign territory.
Can B interfere?
If not, when you build a road, you build it for EVERYONE.
Old October 17, 2001, 09:05   #20
Father Beast
King

I've asked it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoleus
Civ A has a road to Civ B, Civ B has a road to Civ C, Civ A has no road to Civ C. No harbours, no airports.
Does A can trade with C? Nobody OWN the roads, I think... because you can build them wherever you want - even in foreign territory.
Can B interfere?
If not, when you build a road, you build it for EVERYONE.
We don't know. I would hope that if I stand astride the only way through the mountains to the civs on the other side, that no civ that doesn't have a "right of passage" treaty would be able to trade through me. so I could get rich being the trading dude.

That is of course, if, IF, I can resell goods sold to me by another civ.