Old October 16, 2001, 06:47   #1
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 10:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Using food
The other day I started a game and found my settler at the heart of a 4-food special site (3 fruit and 1 fish). Now, if this had been a 4-trade special site, I would have had a great SSC; if it had been a 4-shield special site, I would have had a fine place to build King Richard's, Shakespeare's, and the Great Democratic Army. But food? What -- besides get big quick -- would you do with a whole bunch of food?
Old October 16, 2001, 08:53   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
Rufus - I think all of us will have had worse locations for our capital! A couple of thoughts.

1) Found your capital there and grow quickly! Then mine the fruit to silk. This will boost trade and shields.

2) Use this location as a source of food caravans to assist your more productive cities, or your capital, to grow. In time mining some of the fruit to silk should pay dividends even if it's not your first city.

----------------

SG(2)
Old October 16, 2001, 08:57   #3
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

2) Use this location as a source of food caravans to assist your more productive cities, or your capital, to grow. In time mining some of the fruit to silk should pay dividends even if it's not your first city.

----------------

SG(2)
Do people actually move their capital after the first city built .. this is something i hav enever done ,,,, gee i got to get better at this
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 16, 2001, 12:20   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 08:45
Raz, I've moved the capitol several times. Usually because the geography of the world led me to expand in one direction, leaving my palace on the periphery. Until the higher gov't forms, the corruption can best be fixed by centering the new palace as best as you can.

Rufus, I'd keep at least one bunch of bananas for the whole game, just to keep the food production high. With a road, it produces 4 food/2 arrows. Mining to silk will be necessary for at least one of the others, or you'll have trouble building much of anything in a timely manner. Or do you have hills in the city radius? If there were several hills to mine, I'd be tempted to keep two bunches of bananas and only change one to silk.

While the city is small, massive food production without shields can be a hassle. Once it grows, tho, the doors are opened to possibilities! One banana and one mine produce 5 food, 3 shields, and 2 arrows. Not bad, really.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old October 17, 2001, 05:57   #5
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
Rufus - I think all of us will have had worse locations for our capital! A couple of thoughts.

1) Found your capital there and grow quickly! Then mine the fruit to silk. This will boost trade and shields.
SG(2)
I'm certainly not complaining about the site! A special is a special; I just wasn't sure what specific advantage I was incurring.

But I must say, to my everlasting embarassment that I didn't know fruit could be mines into silk. Does that mean gems can be mined into a pheasant? D'oh!
Old October 17, 2001, 09:44   #6
Thoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

But I must say, to my everlasting embarassment that I didn't know fruit could be mines into silk. Does that mean gems can be mined into a pheasant? D'oh!
Yes, but why on earth would you want to?

Old October 17, 2001, 11:21   #7
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:45
Build lots of settlers with it, and use it to keep a couple of active settlers doing mining and irrigating etc.

Use the settlers to found your high-trade or high-production cities.

If you double click on an unimproved square, it tells you the effects of mining etc. It is also detailed on the tech tree map, if you still have it.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:44   #8
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
Re: Using food
Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
if it had been a 4-shield special site, I would have had a fine place to build King Richard's, Shakespeare's, and the Great Democratic Army. But food? What -- besides get big quick -- would you do with a whole bunch of food?
One thing is to do what you actually suggest. As Flavor Dave (an old poster; I haven't seen him around lately) used to argue, KRC should be built in cities with great growth, and not shield, potential.

Carolus
Old October 17, 2001, 14:58   #9
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth

Yes, but why on earth would you want to?

Point taken, but the answer would be to get a buffalo. I love the buffalo; once you irrigate and road it, it's a nice "balanced" special, like the whale or the mined oasis. But, yeah, I don't think I've ever actually kept a pheasant.