Old October 16, 2001, 13:32   #31
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well that editor already, even timestamped or whatever, looks WAY better than Civ2's... and Civ2's wasn't really that bad, just not very "glossy"
Old October 16, 2001, 13:49   #32
CGreen
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:45
Is this indeed RULES.TXT??
So a quick question no one has asked... Will this officially replace RULES.TXT
Old October 16, 2001, 13:58   #33
El hidalgo
Warlord

Re: Is this indeed RULES.TXT??
Quote:
Originally posted by CGreen
So a quick question no one has asked... Will this officially replace RULES.TXT
Well, my best guess is that this is just an interface for editing rules.txt (or the equivalent). You could probably track down the relevant text files and edit them in your favorite text editor, if you preferred. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is no rules.txt, though, that instead it was replaced by multiple text files covering different parts of the game (one for government, one for units, etc.). Or maybe that was just in one of my many Civ 3 dreams?
Old October 16, 2001, 14:23   #34
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

If this editor is just an interface between the new rules.txt it will probably be dumped sooner or later by scenario makers simply because it's 'too limiting'. The scen editors made by the civ community will surpass this editor anyway.

P.S
I really hope the rules are stored in some sort of txt file and not some sort of encrypted file.

Double P.S
I also submitted a question to "ask the civ team" if the scenario editor would be released as open source. This is quite logical question, scenario will push the standard editor to the limit in a couple of months. Releasing the source for the editor would greatly speed up editor enhancements.

They never answered....
Old October 16, 2001, 14:57   #35
ajbera
Prince

The editor looks great! But I, also, hope that tinkerers will have direct access to text files, allowing greater customization and modification.

Does anyone know how readily we'll be able to edit graphics? Will the game ship with a sprite editor (doubtful), or will everything be editable via shareware programs?
Old October 16, 2001, 15:10   #36
cassembler
Prince

I vote to see how powerful the editor is before going to the source files... Obviously, if they're text, then editing direct will be very easy, but if they look like 00000004hbodew087243--42982jsdih09e098-3242ipfe9fe9-8feuh3i3098ure or something like that, then the editor is all I'm gonna touch...

I would like to say the editor does appear to be much more functional then I had ever imagined...
Old October 16, 2001, 15:13   #37
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:45
IIRC they said a while ago that rules.txt would be replaced with another fileformat, and that you needed the editor to edit it.
Old October 16, 2001, 16:05   #38
Green Giant
Warlord

My reaction: Just by looking at that one screen I have realized the game is a WHOLE HELL of a lot deeper than anyone realizes at this point.
Old October 16, 2001, 16:19   #39
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant
My reaction: Just by looking at that one screen I have realized the game is a WHOLE HELL of a lot deeper than anyone realizes at this point.
Yes - there are a ton of variables you can control for goverment type, and I'm sure that carries over to the other editable items as well. All those variables will impact the game in various ways, so there's a lot going on in there - and a lot we'll have to figure out as we play as far as strengths and weaknesses of various choices we make in the game.
Old October 16, 2001, 16:35   #40
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:45
Real interesting screen! One has to wonder what gets cut off on the side and bottom - looks like this isn't the whole enchilada.

One thing we can see, unless they've changed it recently - the game DOES have Diplomat and Spy units after all! Check out not only the Espionage box on the opened tab, but also the Espionage Missions tab.

Gramphos,
Can you confirm that statement that the text files will not be editable in the raw form? No matter how great the editor is, I'm sure there are cases I'd like to get to the raw files. For instance, look at the corruption levels of governments - what if I want to have corruption at something other than one of the default levels?
Old October 16, 2001, 16:56   #41
El hidalgo
Warlord

For the record, this is from the 8/9/01 Edition of Ask the Civ Team:

Quote:
Hello Firaxis team,

I would like to know if you will still use a textfile with rules for the units and terrains. I'm asking this because I always liked to alter the terrainrules to get more food and shield production. I also would like to know if their will be premade maps and if they are bigger than the ones in Civ II.

I am really looking forward to play the game.

Jan van Nistelrooy
Netherlands

Jan,

We are hard at work on an editor which will allow you to customize the rules to your liking, in very much the same way as the rules.txt file did, though we think the new editor is a lot more user-friendly! We do plan on shipping with a premade "world" map, and you will find that maps in Civ III can be much larger than those found in Civ II. Our random map generator is also much improved over Civ II's, so you should get challenging and enjoyable maps every time.
So it's "user friendly" but we don't know if it's text. But yeah, the editor is a whole lot more involved than I thought. It looks like they're opening up almost everything. I like that you can add things (governments, e.g.) rather than just replace them as in Civ II.

Regarding spies, I don't think there's an actual diplomat/spy unit; I think you can just perform spy operations from the diplomacy screen.
Old October 16, 2001, 17:03   #42
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 09:45
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
What's the difference between forced labor and paid labor? I would assume that hurrying production will always cost money, so is forced labor just cheaper?

And what's with the experience level of Diplomats and Spies? I though they were gone from the game.
Old October 16, 2001, 17:04   #43
ajbera
Prince

Artist, Scientist, Tycoon
I think these may have been other types of Great Leaders. Some Firaxian had stated (long ago) that they were experimenting with non-military GL's; these are probably artifacts of that experimentation.

A damn shame! I think non-military GLs would have greatly enhanced gameplay! However, they probably couldn't figure out a suitable spawning method (why would a battle produce an artist? (although Goya and others were inspired by the battlefield, but I digress)), and just decided to have the military GL make armies or build improvements.

Oh well. I'll just have to imagine that all geniuses gain inspiration when ankle-deep in blood.
Old October 16, 2001, 17:06   #44
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:45
El Hidalgo,
Why then would they have "experience level of Diplomats" and "experience level of Spies" written in the editor? You wouldn't need to break it into those two unit types if it was just done from the diplomacy screen. Otherwise, you could just get more espionage related options as you move further through the tech tree, as I'm sure happens with the diplomacy screen in other ways. Clearly, its just the same as Civ2, even down to some government types having naturally better Spies (as Communism did in Civ2).

What's the evidence that there are no Spy or Diplomat units?
Old October 16, 2001, 17:19   #45
Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Diplomats and spies are indeed gone but you can still perform espionage missions. The experience levels for diplomats and spies pertain to bonuses/penalties for diplomatic and spy missions. Thus, if your diplomats are highly experienced, diplomatic missions will be more likely to succeed. Likewise, if your spies are inexperienced, spy missions will be more likely to fail.
Old October 16, 2001, 17:46   #46
The Templar
Prince

Does this mean spy missions will be sort of like what happens in Space Empires 4? You put points or money into missions but the only thing required is contact with the civ - as opposed to moving a spy or diplomat unit. That would be excellent.

Also, the editor looks pretty good.
Old October 16, 2001, 17:53   #47
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
What's the evidence that there are no Spy or Diplomat units?
Boing! I think Mike just answered it. Seemed pretty obvious to me, caravans are gone too and that didn't mean commerce was gone either.
Old October 16, 2001, 17:56   #48
CapTVK
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Diplomats and spies are indeed gone but you can still perform espionage missions. The experience levels for diplomats and spies pertain to bonuses/penalties for diplomatic and spy missions. Thus, if your diplomats are highly experienced, diplomatic missions will be more likely to succeed. Likewise, if your spies are inexperienced, spy missions will be more likely to fail.
First you say dips and spies are out of the game, next you say they're still around. Is there a spy unit of some sort?

And is the rules.txt in a special encrypted or some sort of txt file?

Hope you can help Mike,
Old October 16, 2001, 18:00   #49
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Looks to me like he is describing the espionage window, where you can probably direct your diplomats/spies on missions without actually sending units around.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:04   #50
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
First you say dips and spies are out of the game, next you say they're still around. Is there a spy unit of some sort?
Diplomat and Spy units are gone. The ability to perform diplomatic and spy missions has been abstracted; you now perform these functions on a "Espionage" screen or a "Diplomacy" screen or some such.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:06   #51
CapTVK
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Looks to me like he is describing the espionage window, where you can probably direct your diplomats/spies on missions without actually sending units around.
Like in MOO with the spy screen, but I'm tired of second guessing every feature. I'll wait and see if Mike can answer this conundrum.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:27   #52
Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Diplomat and Spy units are gone. The ability to perform diplomatic and spy missions has been abstracted; you now perform these functions on a "Espionage" screen or a "Diplomacy" screen or some such.
You are correct.
And rules.txt is also gone. We decided to remove the text file in exchange for faster load times.... Everything that was in rules.txt is now in the editor. Anything you could do in the civ3 rules.txt file, you can do in the editor.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:32   #53
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 15:45
This editor looks just right for people like me who want to try their hand at making a few scenarios without wading through text files.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:33   #54
CapTVK
King

Thanks Mike, that's all I wanted to know:

in summary:

Diplomats & Spy unit have been replaced by an espionage screen
The equivalent of a rules.txt doesn't exist anymore in Civ3. Everything must be done via the editor to make changes.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:42   #55
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Have mercy on us!
Stop it! All these screens are going to make me cry---

My CIV lust is reaching critical levels..

I love the Lincoln pics- he looks noble in ANY age.
Old October 16, 2001, 19:01   #56
SITS
King

Re: Have mercy on us!
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba

I love the Lincoln pics- he looks noble in ANY age.
Actually I think he looks embalmed.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 16, 2001, 19:42   #57
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Everything that was in rules.txt is now in the editor.
Cool! I'm pretty sure this was one of the specific requests from the List.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:15   #58
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Requests from the List:

Quote:
A Single, Integrated Editor. This is perhaps the single most frequent wish among the fans. A "Game Editor" where everything found in Text and Graphics files could be edited, as well as maps and scenarios. This would be a separate executable from the main game, i.e. not a "cheat Menu" like in Civ2/SMAC, but a separate executable.

Simplify the interface. Almost everything in the Game Editor should be reachable either through a simple drag-and-drop system or through pull-down menus. Placing objects should simply be a matter of dragging an object onto the game square.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:30   #59
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Is there a limit on the number of spy missions per turn? For if there is, it had better not be one.
Old October 16, 2001, 21:06   #60
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
Real interesting screen! One has to wonder what gets cut off on the side and bottom - looks like this isn't the whole enchilada.
There appears to be much more. For one, this appears to be a "Government" screen and none of the tabs at the top resemble anything like government, and none of them is the chosen tab. Whatever is chosen is off-screen.

The complexity of this editor is like a dream-come-true! If all the tabs display as many editable choices as this one, this game is going to be fantastic!

I'm never going to be able to get thru the next two weeks!