Old October 16, 2001, 21:09   #61
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 09:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Executor
Is there a limit on the number of spy missions per turn? For if there is, it had better not be one.
Good question. I was thinking you have to pay something, either gold or some resource. This way you are limited by what you could afford.
Old October 16, 2001, 21:38   #62
The Templar
Prince

This really is excellent news! I was hoping Civ3 would get away from units doing non-conventional work. I've had some doubts about Civ3 but things are looking up.
Old October 16, 2001, 21:39   #63
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Executor
What's the difference between forced labor and paid labor? I would assume that hurrying production will always cost money, so is forced labor just cheaper?
My guess is that paid labor is like the old game, and forced labor costs less or nothing but causes a degree of unhappiness.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:58   #64
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

My guess is that paid labor is like the old game, and forced labor costs less or nothing but causes a degree of unhappiness.
Probably the sort of thing that represents a Stalinist "5 year plan" type thing.
Old October 16, 2001, 23:31   #65
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

Forced labor means you can hurry production by forcing your citizens to engage in brutal, backbreaking labor. The unfortunate side effect of this is that some of your citizens will die, and the ones that don't will hold a grudge against you for a long time because of it.

I had a game where I was ambushed by the Romans and I was the Persians. They kept sending Legions after me and I kept having to sacrifice citizens to rush Immortals to defend my city. I refused to let it go without a fight because it was providing me with iron I really needed. Long story short, eventually I repelled the Romans, but I had sacrificed so many citizens that they *really* hated me to the point that the city was constantly in civil disorder. At least the Romans didn't get it though

So you can choose what method a government can use to hurry production (if any): paying money or "sacrificing" citizens, and you can set how many shields equal the life of one citizen, for the purposes of rushing a building or unit.

Dan
Old October 16, 2001, 23:35   #66
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Forced labor means you can hurry production by forcing your citizens to engage in brutal, backbreaking labor. The unfortunate side effect of this is that some of your citizens will die, and the ones that don't will hold a grudge against you for a long time because of it.
See? I said it was a Stalinist 5 year plan.
Old October 16, 2001, 23:52   #67
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
I had a game where I was ambushed by the Romans and I was the Persians. They kept sending Legions after me and I kept having to sacrifice citizens to rush Immortals to defend my city.

Dan
Ha! This reminds me of a certain Civ of the Week comment:

"Ironically, they were called Immortals because they would often perish quickly in combat, only to be immediately replaced by fresh troops, giving the illusion that their forces never dropped in strength. Apparently, "Expendables" didn't have quite the same ring to it."

Glad to see you were forced into using the Expendables....... err, I mean Immortals in a fashion that was true to life.
Old October 17, 2001, 01:22   #68
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
And some people were saying that Civ 3 wasnt historically accurate enough
Kewl, sounds like an excellent feature, and now we can (more) accurately model the 'evil' government types
Old October 17, 2001, 01:22   #69
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
I had a game where I was ambushed by the Romans and I was the Persians. They kept sending Legions after me and I kept having to sacrifice citizens to rush Immortals to defend my city. I refused to let it go without a fight because it was providing me with iron I really needed. Long story short, eventually I repelled the Romans, but I had sacrificed so many citizens that they *really* hated me to the point that the city was constantly in civil disorder. At least the Romans didn't get it though
You lucky stiff! Getting to repel Romans while we all sit and drool!
Old October 17, 2001, 02:50   #70
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
El Hidalgo,
Why then would they have "experience level of Diplomats" and "experience level of Spies" written in the editor? You wouldn't need to break it into those two unit types if it was just done from the diplomacy screen. Otherwise, you could just get more espionage related options as you move further through the tech tree, as I'm sure happens with the diplomacy screen in other ways. Clearly, its just the same as Civ2, even down to some government types having naturally better Spies (as Communism did in Civ2).

What's the evidence that there are no Spy or Diplomat units?
Well, this has already been answered by the Firaxians, but for the record I just remember reading it somewhere. Probably in a post from Dan. There's gold in them thar posts!
Old October 17, 2001, 03:20   #71
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:45
El Hidalgo,
I had a feeling based on an earlier post that that was true about Spies and Diplomats, but I thought I'd get emphatic about that to try and squeeze some more info out of Firaxis. Bwa-ha-ha - my fiendish plan worked!
Old October 17, 2001, 03:50   #72
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Diplomats and spies are indeed gone but you can still perform espionage missions. The experience levels for diplomats and spies pertain to bonuses/penalties for diplomatic and spy missions. Thus, if your diplomats are highly experienced, diplomatic missions will be more likely to succeed. Likewise, if your spies are inexperienced, spy missions will be more likely to fail.
So can we train our diplomats/spies in Civ 3 now that they are not actual units?? Or is it determined soley by which government you choose?? Does sending them out on a mission give them experience??

I remember in Civ 2 sending my spies on training missions (sabotage) against the deadly enemy units (caravans) so that i had a group of vet. spies for use in harder missions. Most survived and were promoted to veteran, some 'went missing'. I guess they didnt step out of the caravans way fast enough
Old October 17, 2001, 08:20   #73
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:45
Looking at the gov editor, I can't help but wonder if I can put Fundamentalism back into the game with it. Looks like I can set the free units to 10, like of old, but I don't know if I can impose the 50% science penalty the no citizens unhappy, or the government specific units.

If I can't even customize a gov that much, then this editor is lacking.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 17, 2001, 08:36   #74
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:

Dan
So I guess its too much to hope for that nerve-stapling is in the game? What about executions of disobedient citizens? That'll teach the others to fall in line.
Old October 17, 2001, 08:45   #75
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
I think no one has mentioned this so far: there is an "Eras" menu. I take it that those are "Ancient", "Renaissance", "Industrial", etc., and that the tech tree has as many parts as Eras are in a normal Civ3 game.

Being able to edit these things will probably be the most interesting new feature for scenarios, I think...
Old October 17, 2001, 09:13   #76
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha of FIRAXIS:
So you can choose what method a government can use to hurry production (if any): paying money or "sacrificing" citizens, and you can set how many shields equal the life of one citizen, for the purposes of rushing a building or unit.
When you pay money to hurry production, does this still generate hatred from your citizens?
Old October 17, 2001, 10:10   #77
Skanky Burns

Nah, you would just get some tired, but well paid citizens running around
Old October 17, 2001, 10:38   #78
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Quote:
Nah, you would just get some tired, but well paid citizens running around
That depends on how you view overtime.
Old October 17, 2001, 11:06   #79
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

When you pay money to hurry production, does this still generate hatred from your citizens?
No. Your citizens don't mind writing checks, they just have a slight aversion to slow, painful deaths

Dan
Old October 17, 2001, 11:12   #80
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Quote:
No. Your citizens don't mind writing checks, they just have a slight aversion to slow, painful deaths.
So... when you "forced" your own citizens to work harder at pumping out those Immortals, you either had little money, or just enjoyed the thrill of imposing your iron will on your subjects.

Thanks for the reply Dan!
Old October 17, 2001, 12:54   #81
Ralf
King

Local Time: 15:45
Quote:
So... when you "forced" your own citizens to work harder at pumping out those Immortals, you either had little money, or just enjoyed the thrill of imposing your iron will on your subjects.
I think one is restricted by government-type also.

The more dictatorial (an economically inefficient) gov-type you have, the more the pay-check alternative is non-viable. And on the other hand: Forced labour under republic/ democracy is most likely a non-workable solution also.
Old October 17, 2001, 13:17   #82
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

The more dictatorial (an economically inefficient) gov-type you have, the more the pay-check alternative is non-viable. And on the other hand: Forced labour under republic/ democracy is most likely a non-workable solution also.
If that's true, somebody better tell my boss.

I think the editor is covering pretty much everything I could want to see changed, except the Leader portraits. I know, I know...too much to ask...

Old October 17, 2001, 13:47   #83
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:45
Quote:
Originally quoted by Ralf:
The more dictatorial (an economically inefficient) gov-type you have, the more the pay-check alternative is non-viable. And on the other hand: Forced labor under republic/ democracy is most likely a non-workable solution also.
IMO the logical answer is anarchy
Old October 17, 2001, 14:47   #84
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
If that's true, somebody better tell my boss.
I know the feeling.

Quote:
I think the editor is covering pretty much everything I could want to see changed, except the Leader portraits. I know, I know...too much to ask...
They've said time and again that these can be changed. My guess though is that they are NOT going to include the software to make professional looking stuff though.
Old October 17, 2001, 14:59   #85
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar:
My guess though is that they are NOT going to include the software to make professional looking stuff though.
It is rediculous to even expect that you would. They are a game company not Adobe or Corel. Think of the time and money it would take them to create such a thing.

Old October 17, 2001, 15:11   #86
The Templar
Prince

Quote:

It is rediculous to even expect that you would. They are a game company not Adobe or Corel. Think of the time and money it would take them to create such a thing.

Anybody that optimistic is crazy - besides if you could get a full Adobe + civ3 for $50, well that would be downright weird.
Old October 17, 2001, 17:36   #87
Mars
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Why is it nonworkable in a republic/democracy. Ever Hear of slavery in the US. That's forced labor. Everyone treats democracy like it is pure and good but it has its flaws (don't get me wrong i like it better than a dictorship or anarchy) but people can be quite willing to subjunct poplutions in a democracy as in a totalitarian government. Likewise some dictars do pay their citizens back, although not many so i do see your point - although you should be allowed to be one of those leaders. I'm just annoyed with how democracy is depicting in some of the civ and civ style games as being totally against war and suffering of the human.
Old October 17, 2001, 18:30   #88
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:45
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
Looking at the gov editor, I can't help but wonder if I can put Fundamentalism back into the game with it. Looks like I can set the free units to 10, like of old, but I don't know if I can impose the 50% science penalty the no citizens unhappy, or the government specific units.

If I can't even customize a gov that much, then this editor is lacking.
Hmm. Considering we can't see half of the editor - anybody notice that the current tab (probably "Government Types") is not even on the screenshot? That's at least two tabs we can't see! Your science penalty might be in the unseen space.
Old October 17, 2001, 18:49   #89
SITS
King

Local Time: 14:45
Dan - How about for the Pic of the Week you make it a full picture of the the Editor, especially with a different tab? Cheers!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 17, 2001, 21:37   #90
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by SITS
Dan - How about for the Pic of the Week you make it a full picture of the the Editor, especially with a different tab? Cheers!
Sorry, I already took another request that will be this week's pic. Something tells me you won't be disappointed this week, though...

Dan