Old October 19, 2001, 14:40   #31
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 15:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I wouldn't call the caravan thing a "trick"(ever took a look at the real world?=>those multi-million cities are fed with food from other places)
the airbase thing is certainly out.

Jay Bee the maximum that way would be
254 cities on only grasland(the hypothetical map where non of your cities have ocean in their radius)
=>21x4food=84food(except for the cities with wheat)
=>42 size cities
=>20xhappy 22xcontent=62pts/city
=>15748pts
(the other bonuses are:2360pts )
this would give a maximum of 18108pts
(+-250 pts for the ppl caused by the wheat)

(this is ofcourse a score that you will never be able to reach on a Random map)

Shade
(batteling bloody barb archers with wariors )
Old October 19, 2001, 18:23   #32
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 14:46
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Shade, yes it will be more boring earlier on. But the barbs are a real pain and provide some real action. As I own all the cities, I’ve got them all for myself. On my map I drew 255 sites with 4 specials for my towns and it helps with growth, production and trade. The lowpoint is that there remains lots of unoccupied land. I wonder if it helps the native uprising. I’m getting at least one each turn. Right now, I’m linking cities 3 by 3 for better defense system (howitzers) and later on for the food caravans.
MGE is not different : it’s 255 overall, but the AI never build any city. I made them start in one square islands of ice. Their settlers will remain there until the end of the game, never daring to find a city on an ice square. Of course, that I chose purple to avoid the tech penality : they won’t discover any by themselves ! Not that I complain too much : I’m getting 1 tech each turn with 10% science ! I get 5000 gold by turn and spend it by buying everything quickly. No boredom yet, it must be this feeling of incredible power ! (By the way, I think that with this map, I could’ve launched a spaceship in 500bc with careful handling !)
Old October 19, 2001, 18:25   #33
Julius Brenzaida
King

Rah, I’m a guy who used to play chess for hours and who enjoys reading Henry James. When I am focused, I’m not easily bored. When I started, my 2 settlers immediatly went for 2 huts, and I kept tipping them until I discovered Invention. By then, circa 3000bc, I had 40 techs and 2000 gold plus a huge army. Then I founded my 1st and 2nd cities. The army was useful in many ways : martial law, disbanding to accelerate production and new hut tipping for gold, none settler and advanced tribe. That way I had my 255 happy and well situated cities with all the key wonders by 1000 bc. Hut tipping accelerated by the rivers everywhere was the key to my phenomenal growth. By the way all my cities having 4 specials on river, was also helpful : 1 fruits, 1 spice, 1 gold mountain and 1 pheasant.
Old October 19, 2001, 18:35   #34
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:46
Shade's maximum score should add 147 since he multiplied by 254 instead of 255.

Last edited by Xin Yu; October 19, 2001 at 18:41.
Old October 19, 2001, 18:41   #35
shade
King

(that was because I thought you needed at least 1 enemy city)
Good luck Julius

Shade
Old October 19, 2001, 18:52   #36
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
Good luck Julius

Shade
He used 87 turns to set up 255 cities. Let's suppose he got democracy as well.

It takes about 17 turns to get to size 3 natually, then celebration begins, 40 turns to size 43. During these 40 turns he needs to accrue some food and commodity caravans and build city improvements for each city. Then the food caravan trick kicks in, 2x84=168 turns to reach size 127. He should be able to build spaceship since he has some food caravan reserves. That's a total of 225 turns. He can get to maximum score in 312 turns.

Which means Julius has 88 turns to spare, and Shade has a chance as well.

Edited: changed calculations.
Old October 21, 2001, 17:01   #37
shade
King

Sombody's going to die...
and that someone is ME

I have the impression it is not going as well as I hoped.
I'm 1000AD and I have only 15 cities( and 2 got destroyed allong the way,and one advanced tribe had to be relocated)
need to get to Communism as soon as possible...
I've build GL(that gave me already 2 techs ),Great Wall(finally they have to present the possibility for peace,and not start bullying as usual and declaring war on me ),Piramids,King Richards.
MC will be done next turn and Leonardos Workshop is next on the list.

I know already the first empire I'm going to errase out of history when I start building an army =>BYE BYE RUSSIA
(you shouldn't have destroyed my city of Detroit)

Shade
Old October 22, 2001, 16:08   #38
Julius Brenzaida
King

Shade, all the cheers must go to you. You’re the one in trouble. Me, with my premade map, I’m pretty comfortable and according to Xin Yu’s calculations which are always correct as has been many times proven in this forum and what’s more calculations that happen to be close to mine, I’ve got all the time I need and a little comfort.
But you, who have to fight the others AI and to race agains time, it’s another story. The scores of Ming and Rah deserve respect, and it would be an achievement even to approach them !
Old October 22, 2001, 20:16   #39
shade
King

Julius you have to battle borredom,I don't know wich one is worst.
Like I said before it's an attempt.(I'll need speedgrow in the last part of the game )

Shade
(I'll post a log here one of the next days,now I'm to tired)
Old October 22, 2001, 23:18   #40
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
The scores of Ming and Rah deserve respect, and it would be an achievement even to approach them !
Go for it... the real achievement is putting in the time to do it...
And not go crazy or die of boredom in the process

I wish you all the best of luck. And I have only one piece of advice... do it in small chunks of time... and when you get bored... put it away and play some more later.
Old October 25, 2001, 10:43   #41
Julius Brenzaida
King

Well, it's not that boring
I am pleased to see my empire grow fast
And this feeling of power is quite addictive
But having more 1000 engineers at work requires some work
My "I" and "R" keys are getting hot
I think the real test will be with the food caravans
Hopefully, all being carefully planned and the cities being close to each other with railroads and soon producing more than 50 shields per turn it should be okay
Old October 25, 2001, 10:53   #42
shade
King

(1000 engineers )

Shade
Old October 25, 2001, 12:10   #43
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:46
Julius, what do you do with your 1000 engineers when the time comes to go for the max? In my end games, I launch, then plant the engineers into cities which consume 8 at a time (limit of the "B" key). In your case, I would guess you will have to disband them to get the wherewithall for that last citizen. Or with the food caravans in full motion does it not matter if these guys survive?
Old October 26, 2001, 16:10   #44
shade
King

First log is posted in the initial post .
Shade
Old October 26, 2001, 16:28   #45
Julius Brenzaida
King

Blaupanzer, the 1000 engineers build railroads, mines and farmland. All that is growing by we love the president's day is great. It means less food caravans. My idea is to have 255 cities of size 40 producing 50 shields each. They'll make triangle food routes all linked by railroad. It should be easier then.
With the food caravans, I could keep all the engineers, but what would be the point ? I'm only going to save a few of them for unexpected pollution and for barbarian pillage, one never knows.
It's 120 ad and my smallest city is size 15 so I won't use the "b" key. Overall population : 450'000'000 and score of 1140%
Old October 26, 2001, 16:30   #46
Julius Brenzaida
King

Way to go Shade (I've seen the log)
Good luck
Old October 27, 2001, 16:36   #47
shade
King

New updated log
As you all can see it's still a long way to go.

At the moment I'm building an army of engineers,I'll reaaly need them.
Also the Russians started a war with me(I just stole a simple tech,whats wrong with that? )Now they are killing their war-elephants and catapults by throwing them at my musketeers(they really are very good in evading those crashing elephants )
I already took one city over by armed means and next will be their capital )
The French also started an offensive against my country,also crashing their catapults and crusaders against my almost immortal musketeers(you don't want to know what I feed them ) .

Oh and before I forget,since the war with the Russians started all AI are allying agains my evil empire(they talk of my ill treatment of race X while I only defend and my reputation is excelent=>twisted, BUT THEY ALL WILL DIE )

current state:
20% of the cities I need(Still some 200 cities needed)
>10.000.000 inhabitants(still some 19.000.000.000 to go)
Renaissance age
I guess only a mere 35 engineers at work,this really has to grow to 500 or so.
(Oh and they Indians came to life as 7th civ after Sioux got killed and russians started fighting the spanish(until they could start fighting with me)

Jullius you should keep a log for your population growth(and % growth)

Shade
Old November 3, 2001, 19:24   #48
shade
King

And history continues
Still at war with those %*£µ$ Russians.In civ3 there seem to be some UU called the immortals,well in Civ2 these are called pikemen my musketeer attaks a pikemen,my musketeer gets killed and the pikemen is barely harmed(still green )
=>so I started just positioning units in their territory and try to keep them alive,while killing everything that comes close enough .(I really need to take over that capital,makes it much cheaper to bribe )
Made peace with the French(just because they had troops near some of my new undefended cities and I'm not really in an active war against them).I'm in the industrial age now so building a hell of a lot factories so production gets speed.
Everything goes way to slow...slow science,slow production,slow engineers,...

Goals for the year 1900 are:
-all techs invented(except future)
-200 cities(but i'm afraid this won't go)
-No more Russians(maybe 1 city)
-Happy democratie

You might notice the names of my latest cities,I was looking for a long list of names to add(107 elements are a nice start don't you think?)Already got to the second level of p-orbitals

till next time

Shade
Old November 12, 2001, 15:17   #49
shade
King

bye bye Russia
The 19th century was one of great expansion and the vicious Russian war .My highly trained Communist spies used enormous amounts of resources to bribe of almost every Russian city. The second Russian capital was conquered spilling the blood of many young soldiers. Also in the great expansion took the empire over 100 cities.

In 1878 the new democratic empire was a fact. The Revolution was bloody, many unhappy and very unhappy citizens were seen roaming down the streets of almost every city. The night of the Revolution, Anarchy swept through the country as a fierce animal leaving a trace of terror and destruction.
During this short period of anarchy in its purest form almost every mayor got killed because there was nowhere to escape to, they all ran but they couldn't hide for the angry mob. Some sources even say that the turmoil was so bad that even the devil himself would have been afraid to cross the streets of the empire.
After a few days dust settled and a democratic government was installed. The first act of this new government was the introduction of something entirely new no one had ever seen before:LUXURIES.50% of the empires resources were dedicated to this new "thing" and it brought joy and happiness into each and every citizens hart. The effect was so big that everywhere the new mayors (the old ones all got killed with one or two exceptions) announced festivities in 2/3 of the cities.
It was in these happy years that Barbarians invaded the little village of Technetium, but authorities are sure this city will be retaken in the near future. Dissident troops inside the city already get funding to gather as much intel as possible.

Also in these years the need for higher production became an issue, so a big project was started named "The Hoover Dam”. It was completed 3 years later.

Although many citizens are very happy still some dissidents and unhappy elements can be found in some cities. Some say this is caused by the fact that we still live in a very industrialized world.

The main problem of the empire still is the low tax incomes and slow scienceprogress. Also expansion seems to have stagnated since the Revolution.

Also the French, whom seem to be quite advanced and democratic as we are, are constantly trying to get to one of the imperial outposts. Luckily our troops have fate and are strong defenders.

Shade, Ruler of the democratic empire.

[Edit: made the mayors back human, and ate the horses at the celebrations]

Last edited by shade; April 26, 2002 at 06:29.
Old November 13, 2001, 23:54   #50
debeest
Prince

Shade, I puzzled for some time before it occurred to me that the horses you were referring to must actually be "mayors." I think you've been at this too long already....
Old November 14, 2001, 07:10   #51
shade
King

Quote:
Shade, I puzzled for some time before it occurred to me that the horses you were referring
damn,I hoped no one would have read this until tonight.
When I posted I had the feeling something was wrong with my mayors first I had something like mair(I was sure this couldn't be ok but it was to trigger the spelling corrector)then the best one I found was mare (there was no mayor in the possible correctionlist) so I corrected them all to mare(although it still felt strange,but it sounded right).This morning on the bus it pops up inside my head: 'MAYOR'
=> next idea: I HAVE TO FIX THIS TONIGHT before someone reads it.

Darn to late. plz don't kill me.

Hey maybe those mayors actually were mares since they were slaughtered in the Revolution and the next turn there were celebrations,so...

Shade
(that's the problem when English isn't your first or second language,and it's over 5 years you had a spelling test )
Old November 14, 2001, 13:27   #52
debeest
Prince

I have the utmost respect for anyone who can converse in more than one language. Not to mention the task you're taking on in this thread. I say, let your horses run wild and free!
Old November 14, 2001, 14:01   #53
shade
King

thx debeest.
(anyway,it shows that there is at least one person who reads all this )
Quote:
I say, let your horses run wild and free!
This is a problem,since they all ended up on the bbq for the celebrations.

Quote:
I think you've been at this too long already....
Is it so obvious??
(I rather think it's the stuff I study at school,that's messing up my mind )

Shade
Old November 15, 2001, 09:06   #54
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quote:
(anyway,it shows that there is at least one person who reads all this )

Shade
I think that a lot of us are interested in reading about your challenge!
Come on, don't give up!
Old November 15, 2001, 11:47   #55
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:46
Yes... I'm sure many of us read the thread to see how you are doing. People that understand, know HOW LONG it will take to attain your goal... You still seem to be enthused, which is very important. Because we all know how boring it will get later

Keep on Civin'
Old November 15, 2001, 12:20   #56
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Re: New updated log
Quote:
my almost immortal musketeers(you don't want to know what I feed them ) .
Shade
I know:
MOULES, FRITES et BIERE D'ABBAYE (Leffe ou Chimay, par exemple).
Un petit tonneau de bière d'abbaye par mousquetaire: aucun éléphant ne résiste.
Old November 15, 2001, 12:26   #57
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
I'm still here...
...checking the thread when new replies have been posted.

Carolus
Old November 15, 2001, 16:03   #58
Julius Brenzaida
King

I'm still there too
I admire your efforts Shade
Me, I've been idle for awhile because I've got too much work (Why can't civ be my job ?), but I'm going to resume playing my game soon
Old November 15, 2001, 17:50   #59
shade
King

Hey,I have my own fans
Quote:
People that understand, know HOW LONG it will take to attain your goal...
the game goes to fast,almost 1900AD and still so far from my goal.
(quick question,just to be sure: Diety's timelimit is 2020?or is it only 2000?,that is 20 turn different,and I'll need them)

Quote:
I know:
MOULES, FRITES et BIERE D'ABBAYE (Leffe ou Chimay, par exemple).
Un petit tonneau de bière d'abbaye par mousquetaire: aucun éléphant ne résiste.
Close but not entirely correct:
pas des moules mais un tres grand bifteck.
???pourquoi seulement un petit tonneau de bière???
Mes mousquetaires sont tres soif,alors je les done des grand tonneau.
Quote:
(Why can't civ be my job ?),
yeah,that would be great.
Job:since supreme being already was taken,I became professional civplayer.
would look nice on a jobapplication.

Shade(back to studying statistics)
Old November 18, 2001, 18:42   #60
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Hey,I have my own fans

(quick question,just to be sure: Diety's timelimit is 2020?or is it only 2000?,that is 20 turn different,and I'll need them)

???pourquoi seulement un petit tonneau de bière???

Shade(back to studying statistics)
Timelimit definitely 2020 (if you have some energy left to play that looooooooooong endgame).

Les petits tonneaux, c'est pour la bataille. Pour le repos au bivouac, bien sûr il en faut des gros, des GROS.